Pietenpol-List:

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: DonanClara(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Pieters,I must have missed Chris' benediction. Is this the Chris in Sacramento and where is he going?Corky in La hating to lose a good Pieter________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Kapler hinges

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
Jack,Good picture of your Piet at Dulles in the Feb edition of EAA mag ("My Day at theSmithsonian"). I remember the day well, your plane drew quite a crowd, andas the author says, contributed to giving many the yen to learn to fly.SteveRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Kapler hingesDate: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:07:40 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Kapler hinges

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Or you can make them out of bent sheet metal (no fiddly welding required): _____
matronics

om=0ASent: Friday, March 27, 2009 10:41:27 AM=0A Re: Pietenpol-List

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: H RULE
matronics

s.com=0ASent: Sun, January 9, 2011 9:59:23 PM=0A Re: Pietenpol-List

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Markle
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: Pietenpol-List

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com
Hi Pietenpolers=2C I'm on the third year of Piet construction while moving parts of structures from hangar to garage etc. Wood=2C long fuselage done and painted and now painting the right wing. Love the latex compared to the poly I used on a couple othercraft. I've been gleening from all of you on this site and only posted a couple years ago : Some guilt! Guess I have more questionsthan advise. I'm in Albany=2C Oregon close to S12. To bad so far from Brodhead and southern Cal.> Date: Thu=2C 21 Jul 2016 00:03:53 -0700
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: RE: Pietenpol-List

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com
Hello fly girl masonI'm in aurora. Building the biplane version. Fuse tail feathers fin rudder framed and varnished. Working on ribs. Getting 172 in about two weeks to tide me over till I get my Olivia flying. Fun project !!> On Jul 21, 2016, at 7:49 PM, flygirl Mason wrote:> > Hi Pietenpolers, I'm on the third year of Piet construction while moving parts of structures from hangar to garage etc. > Wood, long fuselage done and painted and now painting the right wing. Love the latex compared to the poly I used on a couple other> craft. I've been gleening from all of you on this site and only posted a couple years ago : Some guilt! Guess I have more questions> than advise. > I'm in Albany, Oregon close to S12. To bad so far from Brodhead and southern Cal.> > > Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 00:03:53 -0700
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
Mason; I've heard rumors of someone at Albany building a Piet. My friend DaveSmith lives in Albany, motorcycle rider, airplane builder wannabe, and he mentionedsomething about a Piet builder in his area. Have you decided what landinggear you plan to use, or what engine?--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: RE: Pietenpol-ListSpeaking of painting: I also used latex house paint on my plane. So far Ihave the wings, ailerons, and tail parts all covered and painted. I hadone problem. I used the Stewart System glue on all the parts. I used thegreen glue which is very difficult to cover with paint. I would recommendto all builders who are getting ready to cover their planes to use the tanglue (it's the same except for color). I believe the tan would be easierto cover. If you have the plane already covered with the green glue andhaven't painted yet, I would suggest that only the green be painted first,using enough paint until the green is ALMOST hidden, and then paint theentire structure. I used yellow paint which might be the cause of myproblem. Apparently yellow doesn't cover as well as some other colors.Anyone else have that problem?ChuckOn Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:49 PM, flygirl Mason wrote:> Hi Pietenpolers, I'm on the third year of Piet construction while moving> parts of structures from hangar to garage etc.> Wood, long fuselage done and painted and now painting the right wing. Love> the latex compared to the poly I used on a couple other> craft. I've been gleening from all of you on this site and only posted a> couple years ago : Some guilt! Guess I have more questions> than advise.> I'm in Albany, Oregon close to S12. To bad so far from Brodhead and> southern Cal.>> > Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 00:03:53 -0700
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> > pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com
Chuck I too used green so far no issue. I have had the "Dacron" lettering come through the paint. I plan on trying to prime with water based Kiltz...Jack TextorSent from my iPad> On Jul 22, 2016, at 5:36 AM, Charles N. Campbell wrote:> > Speaking of painting: I also used latex house paint on my plane. So far I have the wings, ailerons, and tail parts all covered and painted. I had one problem. I used the Stewart System glue on all the parts. I used the green glue which is very difficult to cover with paint. I would recommend to all builders who are getting ready to cover their planes to use the tan glue (it's the same except for color). I believe the tan would be easier to cover. If you have the plane already covered with the green glue and haven't painted yet, I would suggest that only the green be painted first, using enough paint until the green is ALMOST hidden, and then paint the entire structure. I used yellow paint which might be the cause of my problem. Apparently yellow doesn't cover as well as some other colors. Anyone else have that problem?> > Chuck> >> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:49 PM, flygirl Mason wrote:>> Hi Pietenpolers, I'm on the third year of Piet construction while moving parts of structures from hangar to garage etc. >> Wood, long fuselage done and painted and now painting the right wing. Love the latex compared to the poly I used on a couple other>> craft. I've been gleening from all of you on this site and only posted a couple years ago : Some guilt! Guess I have more questions>> than advise. >> I'm in Albany, Oregon close to S12. To bad so far from Brodhead and southern Cal.>> >> > Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 00:03:53 -0700
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack Textor
When I ordered the glue, aircraft spruce screwed up and sent me the tan... As surmised,no problems at all, my wing and tail feathers are yellow. Could see the green causing problems. Many latex users paint a bunch of coatsof black as uv protectant fist, which would negate the green glue from bleedingthrough...Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Jack Textor
I have that problem too John in a couple spots. Plan to just trim them off...Jack TextorSent from my iPad> On Jul 22, 2016, at 6:09 AM, John Franklin wrote:> > > Chuck,> I used Polytak to glue down my fabric and then painted it with Sherwin Williamslatex primer, flat white. No problems with anything bleeding through but insome places it's difficult to get the pinked edges to lay flat. Not sure howto fix that problem!> > Best Regards,> John Franklin> Prairie Aire 4TA0> Needville, TX> > -----Original Message----->
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Richard Schreiber
Good morning Pietenpolers:Here's a report from the field at Brodhead. We had quite a large group that went to town and ate at the Supper Club last night. It was hot and humid when I arrived at around 3:30, so most of us wanted to cool off and eat at a restaurant. We had dodged a few storms at the field and have about 7 or 8 Piets arrive so far. Dan Helsper made it in from Tennessee just before the weather started to move in again late yesterday. While we were at the restaurant we finally got rain and came back to a few flooded tents. As I sit here at the Pavilion I am watching Douwe doing a dawn Patrol with a pretty sunrise for a backdrop. The planes I recognize besides Douwe's are the Alan Rudolph historic Piet flown by Andrew King, Larry Williams, Dan Helsper, Greg Cardinal/ Dale Johnson and Gene Rambo.Rick SchreiberNX478RS From Brodhead, WI________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: RE: Pietenpol-List
matronics

Post by matronics »

Chuck,Most yellow paints are very transparent and have poor hiding, especially the brighter yellow colors. Typically yellow is applied over a white base which them eliminates the hiding power problem and improves the color saturation of the yellow.Rick SchreiberNX478RSKVPZ , Valparaiso INOn 7/22/2016 5:36 AM, Charles N. Campbell wrote:> Speaking of painting: I also used latex house paint on my plane. So > far I have the wings, ailerons, and tail parts all covered and > painted. I had one problem. I used the Stewart System glue on all > the parts. I used the green glue which is very difficult to cover > with paint. I would recommend to all builders who are getting ready > to cover their planes to use the tan glue (it's the same except for > color). I believe the tan would be easier to cover. If you have the > plane already covered with the green glue and haven't painted yet, I > would suggest that only the green be painted first, using enough paint > until the green is ALMOST hidden, and then paint the entire > structure. I used yellow paint which might be the cause of my > problem. Apparently yellow doesn't cover as well as some other > colors. Anyone else have that problem?>> Chuck>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:49 PM, flygirl Mason > wrote:>> Hi Pietenpolers, I'm on the third year of Piet construction while> moving parts of structures from hangar to garage etc.> Wood, long fuselage done and painted and now painting the right> wing. Love the latex compared to the poly I used on a couple other> craft. I've been gleening from all of you on this site and only> posted a couple years ago : Some guilt! Guess I have more questions> than advise.> I'm in Albany, Oregon close to S12. To bad so far from Brodhead> and southern Cal.>> > Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 00:03:53 -0700
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Charles N. Campbell
Hi Chuck,I don't know if it is relevant to your fabric painting problem, but when I paint either wood, FRP or metal parts at work with yellow or red (+ some blues), I normally spray a coat or two of white first to act as a base color, then spay the color top coats. Having the white base coat really brings out the full 'color' of the top coat and seems to help cover any blemish's below the surface. Hope it helps.CheersMark StanleyJapan
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Barry Davis"
I have just discovered one definite advantage that Facebook posting has over postingto an email list like this one: on Facebook it is virtually impossible toreply to a post and have the entire "tail" of other posts and replies tackedonto the end of the reply. I just read through a string of replies in this threadwhere the posters didn't bother to trim or delete any of the post that theywere replying to, and it makes for a lot of scrolling and a lot of bloatedposts with minimal new content. It's one of the main annoyances of an emaillist...--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dave Abramson Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List
I made mine of 2024 T3 from round bar stock in the mill.: RE: Pietenpol-List: Kapler hingesTo: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.comAny idea on material? (T6061...) This looks like something I can easily make myself.--- On Thu=2C 2/5/09=2C Dave Abramson wrote:
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:-----Original Message----- owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [
=2C 2009=2C 11:00 AMHi Michael=2CThey are cast aluminum.... drilled=2C and come with the hinge pin..... well worth the $$$I just finished mounting mine on the plane=2C and it was a breeze! My Project is 200 miles away so cannot send a photo! (SORRY)Cheers!Dave
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: > pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com