Pietenpol-List: rib testing

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brent Reed
Thought some one might be interested in my rib test.Borrowed three tractor wheel weights 95 lbs each and250 lbs, of barbells. Took rib and glued to test sparsthat were about 2' long and set this across saw horse.I hung all the weight on the rib varying the positionof the weight on the rib. One time I had 200 lb's hangingon the nose and the remaining weight directlyaft of the front spar. I believe that the rib will with stand 700 to 900 lb's and may borrow some more tractor wheelweights to see if this is correct. My ribs have a 23012airfoil and not the original airfoil and are made using1/4 x 3/8" doug fir cap strips and 1/16 inch birtch plyand Raka epoxy. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "D.J.H."
Thought some one might be interested in my rib test.Borrowed three tractor wheel weights 95 lbs each and250 lbs, of barbells. Took rib and glued to test sparsthat were about 2' long and set this across saw horse.I hung all the weight on the rib varying the positionof the weight on the rib. One time I had 200 lb's hangingon the nose and the remaining weight directlyaft of the front spar. I believe that the rib will with stand700 to 900 lb's and may borrow some more tractor wheelweights to see if this is correct. My ribs have a 23012airfoil and not the original airfoil and are made using1/4 x 3/8" doug fir cap strips and 1/16 inch birtch plyand Raka epoxy.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: rib testing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brent Reed
A friend who I would rather not mention with out his permissionhas designed and built several aircraft recommended that ifI wanted a slightly faster cruise it might help, however it has asharp break on stall, also I expect a higher glide ratio withprobably some sacrifice in climb rate. This airfoil was used onthe Taylor Craft. You might call it a Pietenpol Speedster, lowand not quit as slow. ONLY TIME WILL TELL !-----Original Message-----
matronics

rib testing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dave and Connie
Subject: rib testing Thought some one might be interested in my rib test. Borrowed three tractor wheel weights 95 lbs each and 250 lbs, of barbells. Took rib and glued to test spars that were about 2' long and set this across saw horse. I hung all the weight on the rib varying the position of the weight on the rib. One time I had 200 lb's hanging on the nose and the remaining weight directly aft of the front spar. I believe that the rib will with stand 700 to 900 lb's and may borrow some more tractor wheel weights to see if this is correct. My ribs have a 23012 airfoil and not the original airfoil and are made using 1/4 x 3/8" doug fir cap strips and 1/16 inch birtch ply and Raka epoxy. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

rib testing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: lpasley
Subject: rib testing Thought some one might be interested in my rib test. Borrowed three tractor wheel weights 95 lbs each and 250 lbs, of barbells. Took rib and glued to test spars that were about 2' long and set this across saw horse. I hung all the weight on the rib varying the position of the weight on the rib. One time I had 200 lb's hanging on the nose and the remaining weight directly aft of the front spar. I believe that the rib will with stand 700 to 900 lb's and may borrow some more tractor wheel weights to see if this is correct. My ribs have a 23012 airfoil and not the original airfoil and are made using 1/4 x 3/8" doug fir cap strips and 1/16 inch birtch ply and Raka epoxy.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: kyle ray
Think it will be strong enough?????? Doug________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

I'm curious about your airfoil choice. How and why did you decide to gowith that particular one?Brent Reed -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: rib testing

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: rib testing I'm curious about your airfoil choice. How and why did you decideto go with that particular one? Brent Reed -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Spar splice

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Howe
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Spar splice

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Ken,I don't know anything about the flops, but I recall seeing Chuck Gantzer atBrodhead flying with his flop un-locked (OK, that sounded funny.go aheadwith the jokes.). Chuck's a tall guy. It appeared to go up a few inches andjust stay there.Gary BootheCool, Ca.PietenpolWW Corvair Conversion, mountedTail done, Fuselage on gear(15 ribs down.) _____
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Riblett 612 Leading Edge

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Howe
Thought some one might be interested in my rib test.Borrowed three tractor wheel weights 95 lbs each and250 lbs, of barbells. Took rib and glued to test sparsthat were about 2' long and set this across saw horse.I hung all the weight on the rib varying the positionof the weight on the rib. One time I had 200 lb's hangingon the nose and the remaining weight directlyaft of the front spar. I believe that the rib will with stand700 to 900 lb's and may borrow some more tractor wheelweights to see if this is correct. My ribs have a 23012airfoil and not the original airfoil and are made using1/4 x 3/8" doug fir cap strips and 1/16 inch birtch plyand Raka epoxy.John HofmannVice-President, Information TechnologyThe Rees Group, Inc.2810 Crossroads Drive, Ste 3800Madison, WI 53718Phone: 608.443.2468 ext 150Fax: 608.443.2474Email: jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.comOn Oct 1, 2009, at 1:33 AM, Robert Ray wrote:> I'm using the 23012 airfoil, I truss and designed exactly like the > Grega,> it's stronger than heck. I used the cut out for leading edge> the exact same dimension.> I had a member of EAA chapter 775 that had built and designed> several planes and had been featured in some of the EAA magazines,> he was the reason I changed from the Piet airfoil to the 23012.> He was also a super scrounger he had to be living on his SS check,> I admired him greatly for he always had time to sit down over a> cup of coffee and be helpful, he had jumped from a B-24 in WW-2> and shot down several Zeros from the nose of a B-24,> The lumber yards new him by first name and he would spend> hours going through a pile of lumber for his build projects> which he usually finished with in a year. He loved this airfoil> and thats what I'm using.> After building the ribs I read where the stall can sometimes> break pretty good so I asked him about it, he just grinned> and said YEAH DOGGIES it can, fun fun fun.>> Russell>>> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Dave and Connie > wrote:> >>> Since I am thinking of restarting my project I started looking at > the other airfoils. Looking at the plots of the Riblett airfoils > they look to get taller in the leading edge quicker than the FC-10.> For you guys building with the 612 airfoil - what are you doing > about the leading edge? Do you use a taller piece of wood the same > thickness as on the original (and gain a bunch of weight) or are you > keeping the same height and a thinner piece (less weight but weaker)?> bscription,> www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List" target="_blank">http:// > www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List> ronics.com/" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com> Matt Dralle, List Admin.> ====>>________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Riblett 612 Leading EdgeDate: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:55:44 -0600