Pietenpol-List: Corvair engine

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jmcnarry(at)techplus.com (John McNarry)
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Corvair engine>To all corvair pilots,>> I just can't seem to get what I need from the engine. In the pouring rainI>changed the springs in the distributer with lower tension springs. The new>weights wouldn't fit, so.. I>used the old ones. I tried to modify their travel with a file but the file>would not touch the hardened mat'l. I think it is 4130, tough stuff when>hardened.> Last night I ran up the engine and forgot my crankcase vent line was not>connected... result...oil>everywhere. Got it all cleaned up. Connected the vent line. Tried again.and>viola! Got the same RPM as before, about 2600 RPM, but now it feels like a>much>smoother transition... so the light springs did help bring the advance in>sooner and smoother. Next it tried to advance the timing ( just a few>degrees to astart with) the more throttle I added, the more the engine>seemed to mush. At>the end of the throttle travel the RPM was 200 less than at the original>timing setting. Now I'm really confused because I expected a little>improvement even though I did not advance it to the required 35 DegreesBTDC>required. Tonight I'll put a timing light on and see whats going on. Could>it be I moved the distributer in the wrong direction??? The rotor moves>clockwise so I moved the distributer housing CCW. Right?>>Domenic________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
To all corvair pilots, I just can't seem to get what I need from the engine. In the pouring rain Ichanged the springs in the distributer with lower tension springs. The newweights wouldn't fit, so.. Iused the old ones. I tried to modify their travel with a file but the filewould not touch the hardened mat'l. I think it is 4130, tough stuff whenhardened. Last night I ran up the engine and forgot my crankcase vent line was notconnected... result...oileverywhere. Got it all cleaned up. Connected the vent line. Tried again. andviola! Got the same RPM as before, about 2600 RPM, but now it feels like amuchsmoother transition... so the light springs did help bring the advance insooner and smoother. Next it tried to advance the timing ( just a fewdegrees to astart with) the more throttle I added, the more the engineseemed to mush. Atthe end of the throttle travel the RPM was 200 less than at the originaltiming setting. Now I'm really confused because I expected a littleimprovement even though I did not advance it to the required 35 Degrees BTDCrequired. Tonight I'll put a timing light on and see whats going on. Couldit be I moved the distributer in the wrong direction??? The rotor movesclockwise so I moved the distributer housing CCW. Right?Domenic________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Corvair engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC
The point plate moves in the opposite direction to the rotor to advance thetiming. I'm curious about your intake system? What manifold pressures(Vacuum) are you getting?John-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> John McNarry
The point plate is moved by the Vac.advance not by the mech. advance.Thefly weights rotate the point cam .But of course,the dist.must be movedagainst the rotation of the dist. shaft to advance ign.timming. In regards to your sag in rpm at wot.(wide open throttle),verify yourmixture,rich or lean?A quick check is to use a propane source;ie a propanetorch(not lit of course)and feed the gas into the intake at the suspectrpm,and note if there is a change.If the rpm goes up,your mixture islean,if rpm drops then the mix.is too rich. 35 degrees might be a little much in the advance,i would stay down in the25 degree range,or your pistons may become holly!You may have too muchpitch for your available torque.Can you borrow another prop?? Best of luck in resolving your problem,and have a great CANADA DAY longweekend!!!!!! Doug---------now painted and on the gear again CGCGJ
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Corvair engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Warren D. Shoun"
Hi Norm,If you are considering the Corvair, you should hook up with theattached. Lots of help and info, and a very good archive.I am planning on using the Corvair and just about have it ready torun. I built the extended version of the Piet, and my understanding isthat there are upwards of 30 different engines powering it. I did notmake my final choice of engine until the Piet was mostly built. Ibelieve the Corvair will likely be the lowest cost option, however, Imay be wrong on that.Best regards,-=Ian=-To unsubscribe send "unsubscribe corvaircraft" to"majordomo(at)usm.edu" For help send "info corvaircraft" or "help" to"majordomo(at)usm.edu"________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:16:02 -0700
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: wing struts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Christian Bobka
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "mr-fix-all"
I have a friend in Wyoming that has a Corvair engine he diss-assembled and cleanedup and boxed up a while back.he also bought a Wynn manual to go with it.hewill never do anything with it I don't think and is interested in selling it.ifanyone is interested send me an E-mail and I will put you in touch with him.RaymondRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Corvair engine
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Roman Bukolt
Where in wyoming? my father in law travels out there from time to time and mightbe able to pick it up if the price is right?--------"Be who you are and say what you think, those that mind don't matter, andthose that matter don't mind" Dr. SeussRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Waldo Pepper - One More Time

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dortch, Steven D MAJ NG NG NGB"
I would love to get one.Roman Bukolt6505 Urich Ter.Madison, wi.53719On Jul 26, 2008, at 8:27 AM, Tim Verthein wrote:> >>> I haven't seen this movie since it was new in the theatre probably > 30 years ago. My quest to find a copy turned up nothing locally.>> Then, it turns out my Mom had it on VHS. She actually wrote an > article about it 25 years or so ago. Since my folks don't even HAVE > a VHS player anymore, she gave it to me.>> I have dubbed it to DVD. If there is anyone on the list who hasn't > seen the movie who would like to I sell send a DVD to anyone who > wants one for no charge at all. Just don't expect any fancy > packaging.>> And yes, to those of you with scruples who worry about such things > I'm sure this is some horrid copyright violation. but since it's > not available for purchase new, used copies are hard to come by (and > often expensive) and I really doubt anyone at the studio, or any of > the performers gets much for it when a used copy changes hands at > some insane collector price anyway, and heck, I'm offering them > FREE, I'm not gonna worry about it. If Mr. Redford would like to > call me and ask for his share, more power to him.>> So, that's the offer. Probably best to e-mail me of list if you'd > like one:>> minoxphotographer(at)yahoo.com>> Tim in Bovey>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "John Recine"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: First flight in a PietYaHoo, I took my first flight in a Pietenpol. I cannot thank Oscar Zuniga enough.I am sold. I hope that I can convince the Household Six to let me get an aircamper.Probably a few years in the future. Oscar took me up and I was very impressed by the performance. It seemed to outclimbmy friends Aeronca Champ with the same 65 horse engine, even with my 204LB carcass wedged aboard at 90+ degrees. . It handled quite well considering Iwas wedged in the front cockpit. It is certainly a blast to fly. I am sold. ThePerfect plane to indulge one's passion for flying for fun. Oscar did a great landing considering the wind was whipping from straight downthe runway to 90 degrees. I esd impressed. Again, Many thanks to Oscar. Blue Skies and Bright EyesSteve D________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Waldo Pepper - One More Time
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Roman Bukolt
You been sitting with a for-flusher Mary Beth------Original Message------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: H RULE
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: erik finster
He lives in Cowley-the northeast part of the state.if you want to contact him e-mailme off list and I'll forward the message.RaymondRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Waldo Pepper - One More Time

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:P.S. Is a Personal Money Order( In US Funds ) O.K.?> conceptmodels@t
Dear Sir My Name is Erik Billing I Have started a Piet a few yrs ago but the grant money ran out LOL I would Love a Copy of Waldo Pepper =2C but as I Live in Canada I MUST INSIST that I pay postage !my address is ERIK BILLING1006 GARDEN COURT WINDSOR ONTARIOCANADA N8S2R9
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Darrel Jones
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Corvair engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Larry,What are you talking about? I just got a new respect for you!! Don't letthose bottom feeding car guys close to it! In fact, what are they doing atthe airport, anyhow? They should be over at the NAPA Auto Parts parking lotat the mini car show.Would you like me to post your treasure on the Corvair List?Gary Boothe Cool, Ca. Pietenpol WW Corvair Conversion, mounted Tail done, Fuselage on gear (20 ribs down.) _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Kringle"
Drained the oil and took the oil pan off. I pulled the plugs and spun the engine360 degrees. I found water in two cylinders. I sprayed everything down withpb blaster and poured some marvel mystery oil into the cylinders. I'll letthat sit for a while and rotate the engine every few daysat 90 degrees to get the oil all around. I removed some of corrosion with a wirebrush and found just some slight pitting on the cast parts. I don't know howcritical that is. I've got plenty of time to break this engine loose and getit apart.--------JohnRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Corvair engine
matronics

> Re: Corvair engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC
> > The point plate moves in the opposite direction to the rotor to advancethe> timing. I'm curious about your intake system? What manifold pressures> (Vacuum) are you getting?> > John> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Corvair engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
> Subject: Corvair engine> > > >To all corvair pilots,> >> > I just can't seem to get what I need from the engine. In the pouringrain> I> >changed the springs in the distributer with lower tension springs. Thenew> >weights wouldn't fit, so.. I> >used the old ones. I tried to modify their travel with a file but thefile> >would not touch the hardened mat'l. I think it is 4130, tough stuff when> >hardened.> > Last night I ran up the engine and forgot my crankcase vent line wasnot> >connected... result...oil> >everywhere. Got it all cleaned up. Connected the vent line. Tried again.> and> >viola! Got the same RPM as before, about 2600 RPM, but now it feels likea> >much> >smoother transition... so the light springs did help bring the advancein> >sooner and smoother. Next it tried to advance the timing ( just a few> >degrees to astart with) the more throttle I added, the more the engine> >seemed to mush. At> >the end of the throttle travel the RPM was 200 less than at the original> >timing setting. Now I'm really confused because I expected a little> >improvement even though I did not advance it to the required 35 Degrees> BTDC> >required. Tonight I'll put a timing light on and see whats going on.Could> >it be I moved the distributer in the wrong direction??? The rotor moves> >clockwise so I moved the distributer housing CCW. Right?> >> >Domenic> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Corvair engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Chambers
> > I should have shirts available online in the next few days. I will be adding this and a couple other ideas. I will probably also update some of last year's stuff as well. Sorry for the shameless plug.> > -john-> > John Hofmann> Vice-President, Information Technology> The Rees Group, Inc.> 2424 American Lane> Madison, WI 53704> Phone: 608.443.2468 ext 150> Fax: 608.443.2474> Email: jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.com> > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:38:32 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Corvair engine