Pietenpol-List: Reminder

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Reminder

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Coen van Wyk"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Pligrimage next year?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Coen van Wyk
If you are going from New York to Wisconsin, you should not miss the US Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/ ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Coen van Wyk
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Pligrimage next year?> Coen> I will repeat some info from others and add to it. You have many > options depending on what you end up wanting to see and how much > time you have. Going to Miami, and travelling to N.Y., the AMTRAK > train would be much cleaner and safer than bus. At times AMTRAK > has unlimited passes countrywide, but they don't go to most > places. Too many stops on bus in small towns and out of the way > places. Yes, I have travelled that way in the past. However > renting a car would give you lots of flexibility, but you would > use several days of your trip driving.> Flying into N.Y. was an option you mentioned. and that aircraft > carrier is quite a sight. But there is the Smithsonian Air and > Space Museum in Washington D.C. which is amazing also and well > worth a full days visit. If you were to drive, Brodhead, Wi. is > about 14 hours drive from D.C.> There are 2 options I didn't see others post; You could plan a > destination to the U.S. of N.Y. or Miami, rent a car and return > trip home from Chicago. Several car companies will rent cars with > drop offs at other airports. Second, Have you considered renting > a small motor home? There is a company called Cruise America that > rents them, fully equipped. There are plenty of places to stay > for the nights and mostly for free. Lots of freeway rest stops, > truck stops and parking lots of stores that allow that. The > summer months also have many fly ins and air shows around the > country along with music festivals and such.> When you come up with a basic plan, many of us will do what we can > to help.> Dick N.> St. Paul, MN.> ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: HelsperSew(at)aol.com
Hi Coen,I can't answer your questions regarding Oshkosh, having never made the trip myself, but I can give you soma advice regarding travel. Americans are not real big on any form of mass transit besides flying (although that may change with the increasing cost of oil). As a result, there is really only one bus line left in the US - Greyhound. You can probably figure out an itinerary on their web site.However, most Greyhound stations are in the center of older, larger cities, frequently in not so nice areas. You might have trouble getting from the station to a good place to camp at many of your stops. Traveling by bus in this country can be quite an adventure, in both a positive and negative sense.So, here's what I'm proposing - all you listers out there - how many of you can offer Coen and his son a place to stay? If you stopped in Akron,Ohio, I'd be happy to do that, and pick you up and deliver you to the bus station, and I bet there are others who would be willing to do that as well.How about it folks?Kip GardnerNorth Canton, OhioOn Nov 7, 2008, at 3:57 AM, Coen van Wyk wrote:> Dear list members,>> From a long time lurker: my son and I are thinking of doing the > pilgrimage next year, to Brodhead and Oshkosh. Your advice would be > most welcome. I would like to see someone in Florida as well, while > my son wants to visit New York, apparently there is an aircraft > carrier in the harbor, with a Blackbird that he HAS to see.>> I thought to fly from South Africa into Miami, take a bus from > there? We will be camping, but is it practical to take a bus from > Brodhead to Oshkosh? Would there still be camping available then? > There is usually a South African campsite at Oshkosh, maybe it is > reserved for customers of one of the organized groups. Will there > be a Piet campsite? Would Piet admirers find a space there? Also, > can one buy prepaid sim cards for GSM phones, so as to have > communication? I know some countries do not allow this.>> Thank you in advance for your comments,>> Coen van Wyk>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Ryan Mueller"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Pligrimage next year?Coen,That would be great if you and your son could come to the US next year. Getting from Miami to NY is no problem on a commercial airplane. The same fromNY to Chicago. But once in Chicago I would recommend renting a car and just drive yourself. Brodhead is a very small town and does not to my knowledge haveany public transportation to anywhere. Then it would be about 2.3 hours (123 miles) more to Oshkosh. I have seen the very large South African camping set-up at Camp Scholler at Airventure. They always look like they are having fun. This would be the place for you to stay as I'm sure you would findgood camaraderie and advise from those that have done it all before. You wouldwant to arrange this with the South African group ahead of time for sure so you would be included. The Piet activity at Oshkosh has been limited in the 28 years that I have been going. But on some special occasions such as the comingyear (80th anniversary) there will be a larger presence. I am very jealous of all the guys that are going to arrive at Oshkosh together in their Piets this next year. I will not be finished with mine in time.There are busses here that go across the country, but I do not believe they are very good for anybody that has the money to do otherwise, plus they take forever to get anywhere because they make many stops along the way. If anyone on this list is more knowledgeable on this subject I would like to hear it also. Dan HelsperPoplar Grove, IL.**************AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all other Holiday needs. Search Now. -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:02:14 -0600
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dick N."
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Pligrimage next year?For discussion purposes, would a train be easier and more practical, safer and less costly and more comfortable than a bus? I am certain from Miami he could take the rail system to NYC 7th Ave Grand Central Station then cross town the Aircraft carrier, for some reason I was thinking it was near Fulton Street area and Battery Park which could be a pretty good hoof. The back to thetrain to going from NYC train to Chicago to or Milwaukee (by way of Philadelphia possibly) then car to Brodhead which is no big jump. I am certainanyone coming through Chicago or Milwaukee can pick them up and provide car transport to Brodhead. Its a bunch easier to sleep on the train than on a busplus meals may be easier gotten on the train.Just a possible routing that may be faster and more efficent.JohnIn a message dated 11/7/2008 6:55:16 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, kipandbeth(at)earthlink.net writes:Hi Coen, I can't answer your questions regarding Oshkosh, having never made the trip myself, but I can give you soma advice regarding travel. Americans are not real big on any form of mass transit besides flying (although that may changewith the increasing cost of oil). As a result, there is really only one bus line left in the US - Greyhound. You can probably figure out an itinerary ontheir web site. However, most Greyhound stations are in the center of older, larger cities, frequently in not so nice areas. You might have trouble getting from the station to a good place to camp at many of your stops. Traveling by bus in thiscountry can be quite an adventure, in both a positive and negative sense.So, here's what I'm proposing - all you listers out there - how many of you can offer Coen and his son a place to stay? If you stopped in Akron,Ohio, I'dbe happy to do that, and pick you up and deliver you to the bus station, and I bet there are others who would be willing to do that as well.How about it folks?Kip GardnerNorth Canton, OhioOn Nov 7, 2008, at 3:57 AM, Coen van Wyk wrote:Dear list members,>From a long time lurker: my son and I are thinking of doing the pilgrimage next year, to Brodhead and Oshkosh. Your advice would be most welcome. I wouldlike to see someone in Florida as well, while my son wants to visit New York, apparently there is an aircraft carrier in the harbor, with a Blackbirdthat he HAS to see. I thought to fly from South Africa into Miami, take a bus from there? We will be camping, but is it practical to take a bus from Brodhead to Oshkosh? Would there still be camping available then? There is usually a South Africancampsite at Oshkosh, maybe it is reserved for customers of one of the organizedgroups. Will there be a Piet campsite? Would Piet admirers find a space there? Also, can one buy prepaid sim cards for GSM phones, so as to have communication? I know some countries do not allow this. Thank you in advance for your comments,Coen van Wykhref="http://www.matronics.com/contribution"> ... enpol-List href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com(http://www.matronics.com/contribution) (http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List) **************AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all other Holiday needs. Search Now. -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Coen van Wyk
CoenI will repeat some info from others and add to it. You have many options depending on what you end up wanting to see and how much time you have. Going to Miami, and travelling to N.Y., the AMTRAK train would be much cleaner and safer than bus. At times AMTRAK has unlimited passes countrywide, but they don't go to most places. Too many stops on bus in small towns and out of the way places. Yes, I have travelled that way in the past. However renting a car would give you lots of flexibility, but you would use several days of your trip driving.Flying into N.Y. was an option you mentioned. and that aircraft carrier is quite a sight. But there is the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. which is amazing also and well worth a full days visit. If you were to drive, Brodhead, Wi. is about 14 hours drive from D.C.There are 2 options I didn't see others post; You could plan a destination to the U.S. of N.Y. or Miami, rent a car and return trip home from Chicago. Several car companies will rent cars with drop offs at other airports. Second, Have you considered renting a small motor home? There is a company called Cruise America that rents them, fully equipped. There are plenty of places to stay for the nights and mostly for free. Lots of freeway rest stops, truck stops and parking lots of stores that allow that. The summer months also have many fly ins and air shows around the country along with music festivals and such.When you come up with a basic plan, many of us will do what we can to help.Dick N.St. Paul, MN. ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dick N."
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Pligrimage next year?On the cell phone you should be able to get one pretty easily. There are some prepaidplans that are affordable and would work just fine. As Dick says, It is really easy to end up spending your holiday driving the USinstead of enjoying the US. I tell my friends from Europe that come to visit tojust come to Texas and don't plan on visiting Texas, New York and Hollywood.I would look at flying as close as possible to Oshkosh and/or Broadhead and drivethere. Unless you are happy driving 4 or 5 hours each day and visiting variousplaces. Pull up Mapquest.com and plot some trips from various locations to OSH or Broadhead.That will give you an idea of how much driving it takes. Blue Skies,Steve D----- Original Message -----
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Re: Center Section progress

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> billspiet(at)sympatico.ca
Hmmm good call. Of course now my cabane fittings are powder coated but I suppose the fabric will make inspecting for cracks difficult anyway. Somehow I have faith in those with the thickness of the 4130 and the professional tig welds my friend carried out. Also they arent as exposed to vibration like the engine mount. I have a few hours this morning so I am going to start cutting metal for my control system. Looks like a fun project. Scott> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Center Section progress
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Center Section progress

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bill Church"
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> ca>> > One thing to keep in mind about powdercoating is that=2C while it is very durable=2C it is also flexible=2C and can sometimes hide cracks in the metal underneath the paint. For this reason it is probably best to avoid powdercoating critical structural components (like the motor mount)=2C and just use a good enamel paint instead. Should a crack develop in the one of these parts=2C the enamel paint will also crack=2C making it easier to detect.> > Bill C.> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 254#357254> > > > > > > =======================================================> > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Center Section progress