Pietenpol-List: Engineering Feat

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Engineering Feat

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Owen Davies
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Center section hardware

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Dralle
Mike,No, I don=92t mind=85Total hardware weight as shown in the picture is 41.7 ounces.- The rear straps and pulleys come to 23.25 ounces and the front set is 18.45 ounces.- For a total of 2.6 pounds or 2 pounds 9.7 ounces.- It does include paint, no bolts.Jackwww.textors.com -________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:25:15 -0800
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Hi again to the list from Japan

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
Hi Hans,Thanks for that info, I will check into it over here. Sounds like a better option than importing 4130.Useful info for repairs at work as well.Mark> 4130 is identical to:> > European standard steel DIN 25CrMo4,> > Or Japanes standard steel JIS SCM 430H> > BR> > Hans________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:34:49 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Engineering Feat

Post by matronics »

matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Spar cuts for dihedral

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack T. Textor"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Spar cuts for dihedral

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Spar cuts for dihedralWow, Mike, You re reading my mind I was contemplating an angular spar butt cut to create the dihedral so that it was a non gap fit at spar to center section. I just wasn't certain at the slight off 90 degree cut and what that number should be, 90.25, 90.5 91 or 92 degrees to yield the desired 1 to 2 inch elevation atthe wing tip. I would be interested in the recommended angle to achieve optimum dihedral from the performance and appearance perspectives. Nobody really wants a limp or floppy Piet.... well maybe some do, just not me if I can avoid it.JohnIn a message dated 11/20/2008 11:47:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, speedbrake(at)sbcglobal.net writes:When looking at the 3 piece wing plan, the spars are butt joined to the wing spars. For those of you who have some dihedral, did you cut an angle on the center section spars? (or the wing spars?) From my calculations, it would take a very small cut to get a inch or so at the tip. It looks to me that thewing attach fitting takes the loads, so having a gap between the spars shouldnot be a problem. This leads me to my next question: if a gap is OK, why notcut the C.S. spar at an angle back to the first rib? Leaving, of course, material around that first bolt that attaches the fitting to the spar.========(mip://0460be50/3D"http://www.matronics.com/contribution") ========(mip://0460be50/3D"http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List") ========(mip://0460be50/3D"http://forums.matronics.com") ========**************One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com ew-dp%26icid=aolcom40vanity%26ncid=emlcntaolcom00000001)________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:24:13 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Of course, the quickest way would be to plop the parts on a scale and takethe reading.But I would imagine that most of the completed fittings are mounted onspars.That being the case, it should be pretty simple to calculate:4130 has a density of 0.283 pounds per cubic inch.A 12" x 12" piece of .080 steel has a volume of 12 x 12 x .08 = 11.52 cubicinches11.52 x 0.283 = 3.260 pounds per square foot (or 0.0226 pounds per squareinch, or 0.362 ounces per square inch.)Figure out the area (length x width) of the components (in square inches)and add them up, then multiply by the weight per square inch.Simple. _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Well, since you ask...For a 1" rise of the wingtips, the angle is 0.365 degreesFor a 2" rise of the wingtips, the angle is 0.729 degreesI'm sure that information will be very helpful.Your angle setting for your miter saw (or hand saw) does adjust to threedecimal places, doesn't it? _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jeff Boatright
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Pietenpol-List: Plexiglass Scratch Repair...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: erik finster
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Plexiglass Scratch Repair...Dear Listers, During the fitting of the Plexiglass canopy on my RV-8, I managed to put somepretty disheartening scratches in the windscreen section. You can see from thepictures that they looked pretty bad. A call to Van's revealed that a replacementcanopy would be $640 + $250 shipping to California! Ack. So what to do... A bit of surfing and I found this "Scratch Off" windshield repairkit for $35 on the Aircraft Spruce web site: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... tchoff.php Frankly, it just seemed too good to be true. Nothing for $35 could be that "magic"I thought, but what did I have to lose at this point.... Well, the kit arrived yesterday and I decided to give it a try tonight. In a word:WOW! In about 2 hours the windscreen looked as good as new - no kidding -AS GOOD AS NEW! The pictures really don't do the repair justice. It looks betterin person. There are basically two sponges in the kit with four decreasingly porous pastes.You just put some of the first paste on the sponge and buff it in with a drillat 1200 RPM or less. Then you wash everything down good including the spongeand windshield with warm water. Then you use the next finer paste and repeatthe process. Etc, etc, until you've used the 4th paste that is kind of likecar wax. Frankly, the scratches were gone after the first application of paste - I startedat #2 based on the instructions and the "observed severity" of the scratchdepth. So, the bottom line is, if you've got scuffs or mild scratches in your Plexiglassbuy this repair kit. It works! Matt Dralle RV-8 #82880________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Plexiglass Scratch Repair...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Dralle
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Plexiglass Scratch Repair...We used crest toothpaste at our local gliding club when I was a kid. It actedas a very mild rubbing compound and worked great. I've used the techique on myStinson with great results but suggest you try a test area first. Good luck.Scott Knowlton Slow piet builder-----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Plexiglass Scratch Repair...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> flyingscott_k(at)hotmail.com> To: dralle(at)matronics.com=3B pietenpol-li
Steve Erik Billing from Windsor Ont=2C We Have a 1946 Aeronca Champ( And I Have Started a Pietenpol Project ) and we use Mirror Glaze =2C=2Cfrom any Boat place costs between 5-7=2C8 bucks and Works GREAT !!!!!!! We've Used it for 20 Odd Years Takes out Even Deep Scratches Very Well Please Pass the Info On to Others Cheers Erik
matronics

st(at)matronics.com> Date: Fri=2C 21 Nov 2008 11:59:28 +0000> Re: Pie

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Knowlton > Slow piet builder> > -----Original Message-----> Matt Dra
tenpol-List: Plexiglass Scratch Repair...> > --> Pietenpol-List message posted by: "Scott Knowlton " > > We used crest toothpaste at our local gliding club when I was a kid. It acted as a very mild rubbing compound and worked great. I've used the techique on my Stinson with great results but suggest you try a test area first. Good luck. > > Scott
matronics

Post by matronics »

enpol-list(at)matronics.com>> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Plexiglass Scratch Repair...> > > Dear Listers=2C> > During the fitting of the Plexiglass canopy on my RV-8=2C I managed to put some pretty disheartening scratches in the windscreen section. You can see from the pictures that they looked pretty bad. A call to Van's revealed that a replacement canopy would be $640 + $250 shipping to California! Ack.> > So what to do... A bit of surfing and I found this "Scratch Off" windshield repair kit for $35 on the Aircraft Spruce web site:> > http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... tchoff.php > > Frankly=2C it just seemed too good to be true. Nothing for $35 could be that "magic" I thought=2C but what did I have to lose at this point....> > Well=2C the kit arrived yesterday and I decided to give it a try tonight. In a word: WOW! In about 2 hours the windscreen looked as good as new - no kidding - AS GOOD AS NEW! The pictures really don't do the repair justice. It looks better in person.> > There are basically two sponges in the kit with four decreasingly porous pastes. You just put some of the first paste on the sponge and buff it in with a drill at 1200 RPM or less. Then you wash everything down good including the sponge and windshield with warm water. Then you use the next finer paste and repeat the process. Etc=2C etc=2C until you've used the 4th paste that is kind of like car wax.> > Frankly=2C the scratches were gone after the first application of paste - I started at #2 based on the instructions and the "observed severity" of the scratch depth.> > So=2C the bottom line is=2C if you've got scuffs or mild scratches in your Plexiglass buy this repair kit. It works!> > Matt Dralle> RV-=======================> > >_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Center section hardwareDate: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 07:24:15 -0600