Pietenpol-List: control horn attachment

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Owen Davies
Guys, All of my control horns are now made and I'm ready for the final installation butI'm stumped. The holes are drilled where the main body of the horns attach.My problem is trying to figure out how to drill a hole for the brace(strut) toattach. There isn't enough clearance to get a 3/16 drill in the space. Thisis especially true on the ailerons. I've only got about 3-1/2 inches of clearance,not even enough for a right angle drill. Did you just drill the hole witha flexible long shaft drill and let the hole penetrate at an angle?Rick Schreiber________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:00:43 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Guys, All of my control horns are now made and I'm ready for the final installation butI'm stumped. The holes are drilled where the main body of the horns attach.My problem is trying to figure out how to drill a hole for the brace(strut) toattach. There isn't enough clearance to get a 3/16 drill in the space. Thisis especially true on the ailerons. I've only got about 3-1/2 inches of clearance,not even enough for a right angle drill. Did you just drill the hole witha flexible long shaft drill and let the hole penetrate at an angle?Rick Schreiberst">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Piet ... ______Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 21:44:17 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: control horn attachment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: lmforge(at)earthlink.net
Hi Rick Don't know what others have done but I had to bite the bullet and buy one of the close clearance right angle drill attachment kits. I bought it through ACS. I looked at Harbor Freight and other places but couldn't find anything as short. The kit has short little drills that screw into the angle head and it's driven by a standard drill motor.. After buying it I found other places that I needed it on the wing hardware. It is a nice quality kit but a little pricey for the amount of use I will get out of it. Ed G.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: control horn attachment

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ed G.
Ed I'm going to check around the airport and see if I can locate one of these.The ones that I have seen at the big box stores are almost 5" deep!Rick Schreiber----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Doug Bowman
Doug B, John W and Ed G,Some time ago I made up a set of drill guides ala Clif Dawson and used thema lot. I originally thought of using them to drill the control hornsupports, but it didn't look like they would fit. After John W's suggestionI tried again and they worked fine. I just had to locate the front and backsides with a punch mark and drill from the back side. I used my el cheepolong shank drill bits from harbor freight. I did have to bow the drill alittle, but it worked fine. I actually finished drilling the last controlsurface about 10 minutes ago. Rick Schreiber> [Original Message]
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: johnwoods(at)westnet.com.au
Guys=2C All of my control horns are now made and I'm ready for the final installation but I'm stumped. The holes are drilled where the main body of the horns attach. My problem is trying to figure out how to drill a hole for the brace(strut) to attach. There isn't enough clearance to get a 3/16 drill in the space. This is especially true on the ailerons. I've only got about 3-1/2 inches of clearance=2C not even enough for a right angle drill. Did you just drill the hole with a flexible long shaft drill and let the hole penetrate at an angle?Rick Schreiber________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:21:38 +0900 (WST)
matronics

> RE: Pietenpol-List: control horn attachment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Ed G.
> Ed I'm going to check around the airport and see if I> can locate one of these. The ones that I have seen at the> big box stores are almost 5" deep!> > Rick Schreiber> > > ----- Original Message -----
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: control horn attachment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
> > > Guys, > All of my control horns are now made and I'm ready for> the final installation but I'm stumped. The holes are> drilled where the main body of the horns attach. My problem> is trying to figure out how to drill a hole for the> brace(strut) to attach. There isn't enough clearance to> get a 3/16 drill in the space. This is especially true on> the ailerons. I've only got about 3-1/2 inches of> clearance, not even enough for a right angle drill. Did you> just drill the hole with a flexible long shaft drill and let> the hole penetrate at an angle?> > Rick Schreiber> > > > > > st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List> ronics.com> ww.matronics.com/contribution________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:48:50 -0800 (PST)
matronics

> RE: Pietenpol-List: control horn attachment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: johnwoods(at)westnet.com.au
> Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: control horn attachment>>> Rick,>> Look for an RV builder. They all have the small right angle drills toget into tight places.>> Doug Bowman - former RV builder doing the Pietenpol thing> > > > Guys, > > All of my control horns are now made and I'm ready for> > the final installation but I'm stumped. The holes are> > drilled where the main body of the horns attach. My problem> > is trying to figure out how to drill a hole for the> > brace(strut) to attach. There isn't enough clearance to> > get a 3/16 drill in the space. This is especially true on> > the ailerons. I've only got about 3-1/2 inches of> > clearance, not even enough for a right angle drill. Did you> > just drill the hole with a flexible long shaft drill and let> > the hole penetrate at an angle?> > > > Rick Schreiber________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:18:49 +0900 (WST)