Pietenpol-List: Rib Spruce strips

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Rib Spruce strips

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
I have ~143ft. of 1/4" by 3/8' spruce strips I'll donate to someone's cause for making Piet. ribs. Ten of the pieces are 12 ft long and the balance 6 to 8 ft. or so. I'll package in a thin PVC tube for UPS shipping, in the longest tube UPS will accept. I think that is 10ft.The deal is the first person to respond who will pay for shipping gets the batch.Jim Lagowski, jimdeb(at)charter.net or 231-264-6489________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Rib Spruce strips

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "bill.kipp"
The table saw is the heart and soul of any descent wood shop. An older high qualitysaw can be bought for a fraction of the cost of a not-so-good-quality newsaw. Most of the older saws are belt drive and have an easily replaceable motorwhere many of the new saws are direct drive and cost a small fortune to haverepaired. Look for the heavy cast iron base and table; don't be too concernedwith the fence; it may be missing or in abused condition. I usually replaceit with a plank clamped to the table; sure it's slower to move, but it's alsovery accurate and not so much in the way when ripping thin stock. Also, whenworking with thin stock, I replace the blade cut-out with a piece of plywoodcut and shaped to fit the cut-out hole; after fitting the plywood to the hole,turn the saw on and raise the blade and saw right through the ply to the depthneeded for you wood stock; much less chance of the thin stuff catching or fallingthrough the hole. Ripping long stock needs a steady hand and feather boards,in-run and out-run tables are a great help. Get the highest quality smoothcut blade you can find and if you are careful, you won't need to plane thecuts. It's true that you can buy all your wood sawed and milled to dimensionbut you'll likely spend more on the shipping alone than the wood planks purchasedlocally will cost. And buying your wood already milled to specs is not assimple (sometimes) as you might think; I am seeing quiet a few posts where thequality is not what is required; then you have to dicker with the supplier toget it replaced (and likely get stuck with the additional shipping) and losttime and frustration.WillRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Rib Spruce strips
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Rib Spruce strips

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "chase143"
> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Electtric plane> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>>>>>> All of the electric-engined aircraft that I'm aware of have been very>> light and very sleek. I've often wondered if those are absolutely>> necessary. Could an Piet fly with an electric engine? No doubt it>> would require more battery storage, but the Yuneec E430 apparently>> only has 158 lbs of batteries on board. Our Piet can hold 26 gal of>> fuel, so that's 156 lbs right there. I suspect that the electric>> motor weighs much less than a fully-equipped C-85, so maybe there's>> another 100 lbs. If you really wanted to, I guess you could make the>> front cockpit a battery space, so that there's another 170 lbs. Would>> a 4-500lb battery pack fly a Piet?>> -- >> --->>>> Jeffrey H. Boatright, Ph.D.>> Associate Professor of Ophthalmology>> Emory University School of Medicine>> Editor-in-Chief>> Molecular Vision>>>>>>>>>>> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Rib Spruce strips