Pietenpol-List: Waxing on about Community...

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Waxing on about Community...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mark Roberts
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Waxing on about Community...
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Waxing on about Community...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kip and Beth Gardner
> Pieters:> As of now, I am only about 30 days or so into> this particular obsession in my life. At 48 and a half (when> did we stop counting the 1/2's?) I have had a few, but> this is one I have wanted to make the plunge into for a very> several years. Over the brief 43 of those years (my first> airplane ride which hooked me was when I was 5) I have> wanted to build an airplane, and even did at 6 out of a> radio flyer wagon and a 1 x 8 plank I put across it for a> wing, and a 2 x 4 with plywood for a tail group. My Dad> refused to tow me down the road to get 'airspeed' to> test the design, which frustrated me to no end.> > I know like many of you, I looked for a long> time and even bought plans for other designs before> eventually returning to the Piet for reasons I've posted> before.> But here is the reason for my diatribe today: In> the last 30 day's, I've see someone GIVE away a> Corvair engine, and also, Spruce Wood for wings to whomever> replied to the email first. Offered to a bunch of people> that many here will never meet face to face due to distance> and economics, but still offered and connected due to> community.> > Like you, I've been a member of other lists,> groups and clubs, but this bunch does seem to share some of> that sense of community that, as Mr. Pietenpol is said to> have done, would warm up their engine when someone needed to> be flown to the hospital in bad weather.> > I was the luckyrecipientof> thesprucewing stock that Jim offered up. That will> actually allow me to start my project.> I just wonder if the attraction of the design> draws people that share the 1930's value system of> helping others as well. Certainly seems so.> > Mark> > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________