PM=0A> Gardiner and his=0A>Pietenpol, December 2009=0A>>=0A>>=0A___

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Bolts and stress anal-isis

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
>My gut feeling would be that AN bolts would be the way to go, and that stainless steel fasteners should only be used for non-structural applications, such as trim attachment, etc.- - BUT I just did a quick internet search, and found a website that lists MS27039C stainless steel machine screws with 125,000 PSI listed strength:http://www.skybolt.comThe website won't allow me to give a direct link to the specific page, so you'll have to go over to the left hand side of the page, and click "online purchasing", then click on "AN-MS-NAS Screws", and then "MS27039C Screws-Stainless". A screen shot is attached for reference.So, the short answer is MAYBE you can buy AIRCRAFT GRADE stainless steel fasteners that have strength comparable to AN bolts - but you should check very carefully with the supplier regarding the strength. I have no idea how these stainless steel fasteners compare with regards to fatigue strength, or anything else, for that matter.Bill C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/skybolt_114.jpgle, List Admin.________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:38:28 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Bolts and stress anal-isis

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gene Rambo
In certified aircraft, specific hardware is included as part of the type certificate. Hardware that meets the same specifications as original are to be used, even if it is stainless steel.-In some certified aircraft, certain particular stainless steel hardware has been used. I know of the reasonably wide use of A286, an iron, chrome and nickel alloy, due to his high strength and relatively high toughness.-The thing that's important in certified aircraft is to use the specified hardware for that particular application - and sometimes it will be stainless steel. -David Paule--------- Original Message -----
matronics

PM=0A> Gardiner and his=0A>Pietenpol, December 2009=0A>>=0A>>=0A___

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Bolts and stress anal-isis

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Charvet
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Bolts and stress anal-isisI think all this talk about the strength of SS is much to do about nothing. The wood in the tail will fail well before even grade 3 bolt will fail.Bolt two 1 by's together, strand one and pull on the other. See what fails first.Howdy________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:08:30 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Control stops/pulley guards

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Ben Charvet
Ben:I did use pulley guards on all of my pulleys. I do remember some posts inthe past where those that didn't install them had to ad them before theirFAA inspector would issue the air worthiness certificate. That is why I putthem on mine (plus the extra safety factor).Rick Schreiber> [Original Message]
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Control stops/pulley guards

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: AMsafetyC(at)aol.com
> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Control stops/pulley guards>>> I didn't have any stops in my Piet, but I started this thread because > someone said the FAA inspector wanted to see them...> I'm not sure they are necessary either, but I don't want to blow my > inspection for something this easy to correct.> Anybody want to talk about cable/pulley guards? I dont have any of > those either (yet) and my Piet is all covered>> Ben Charvet>>> Gary Boothe wrote:> >> > An idea worth pursuing....although I'm not convinced that control stopsare> > necessary.> >> > >>________________________________________________________________________________