Pietenpol-List: Looking for the Riblett letter..

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Looking for the Riblett letter..

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mark Roberts
Jack I rounded because I don't plan on taping them before covering. If you chooseto leave them with sharp corners I would for sure tape over them.--------Jerry Dotson59 Daniel Johnson RdBaker, FL 32531Started building NX510JD July, 2009Ribs and tailfeathers doneusing Lycoming O-235Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:44:50 -0800Subject: Pietenpol-List: Looking for the Riblett letter..
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Looking for the Riblett letter..

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Mueller
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Looking for the Riblett letter..
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Looking for the Riblett letter..

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Mark,This is the first time I've seen this letter. I'm very certain Mr. Riblett isvery knowledgeable on his designs, but I have to disagree with him on his commentsabout Mr. Pietenpol's airfoil. My Piet by no means has a sharp stall. Itis very benign and very predictable. It is also very very slow, especiallywith a touch of power. The most surprising part of the letter is "Indeed, dueto safety considerations, we strongly recommend this substitution." I couldsee if the Pietenpol had been plagued with stall accidents over the past 80 years,but it really hasn't. If there had been any complaints about a bad stallcharacteristic, which I've never heard, it was probably due to a rearward cg,which some Piets have. Please don't let anyone fool you. A properly built Pietenpolis a safe, docile, honest, and FUN airplane!I was all set to fly this weekend with the skis, but that 6" to 8" of snow we wereforcasted to get turned into 26"!! Little too deep!Don EmchNX899DERead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Looking for the Riblett letter..

Post by matronics »

My horns are flat stock, angled to line up with the cable.I think if something is just bugging you, and it doesn't go away, then youshould probably take the time to re-do it. With all the other things tolook at on a beautiful Piet, I don't really notice control horns, but ...that might be all you notice on your baby if you don't fix it.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:40:45 -0800Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Looking for the Riblett letter..
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Looking for the Riblett letter..

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Looking for the Riblett letter..
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Don Emch"
I concur with everything Don Says. There is no sharp stall issue. Power off with the stick way back and it will simply mush down at about 5 - 600 fpm with the Johnson airspeed indicator wavering somwhere around 30 - 32 mph. Just keep the ball centered.Sharp stall reports might have more to do with leading edge shape than airfoil shape.Greg CardinalMineapolis----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Mueller
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Looking for the Riblett letter..
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Charvet
matronics

Post by matronics »

>> >> > Definitely Piet related:> >> > Last night I ran afoul of the aft portion of my center section while> working> > on shoulder harnesses. Although it hurt a little, and bled a little, I> > couldn't help but smile and wonder how many of my fellow builders have> done> > something similar? (or am I the only idiot in the room, as usual?)> >> > No doubt, some wise-aker will say, "That wouldn't have happened if you> were> > working on the ribs, as you should be."> >> > Gary Boothe> > Cool, CA> > Pietenpol> > WW Corvair Conversion> > Tail done, Fuselage on gear> > 16 ribs done> >> >>> ------------------------------> Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft=92s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up>> *>============================================> *>>-- Andrew M. EldredgeSahuarita, AZ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 09:14:28 -0800Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Looking for the Riblett letter..