Pietenpol-List: plug wire test ?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: plug wire test ?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
Subject: Pietenpol-List: plug wire test ?Any way to test copper stranded core spark plug wires for the simple A-65 with unshielded (Eisman) mags ?After testing all the plugs (all good) in a pressurized spark tester, insuring timing was correct, and cleaningand gapping both points I'm still getting a 125 rpm L mag drop. Mag cap is not cracked, all in order inside mag.If it was the condenser I'd be seeing point burning which I'm not.Thinking of just going to Autozone to get a generic automotive set and re-soldering the mag and plug end terminalson the bottom (L) four wires.Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: plug wire test ?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "899PM"
There are no inspections or permissions required from the FAAto begin building or continue building your experimentalhomebuilt airplane. There used to be a requirement for "pre-cover" and other progress inspections, but the onlything now required is a final inspection by an FAA inspectoror an FAA "Designated Airworthiness Representative" (DAR).However, as others have pointed out, it is very useful andstrongly recommended that you have an EAA Technical Counseloror other experienced builder look over your project fromtime to time and certainly at key points in the construction.They aren't there to criticize your work... they are thereto help with tips, ideas, and suggestions... and to pullyour bacon out of the fire in case they see something thatmight compromise airworthiness.There is a requirement that you document your constructionprogress. Keep a log, take photos, keep receipts and notes-because you need to be able to demonstrate that the airplanewas at least 51% amateur-built as the FAA defines that. Notthat it was 51% built by the same amateur (you); it can besold or passed on from builder to builder until completed orit can be built by siblings, friends, or as a group project-just not "for pay" nor using large subassemblies fromcommercial airplanes.Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CCSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: plug wire test ?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Don Emch"
Mike,If you find a set with copper wire, let us know the PN#. Thanx.--------PAPA MIKERead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: plug wire test ?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jeff Boatright
Hey Mike,I think your buddy Don Helmick might have a set of unshielded plug wires. Also,if you'd like I have a spare Bendix lunchbox mag freshly overhauled, that you'dbe welcome to use until you get straightened out. It has an unshielded harness.Don EmchNX899DERead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:40:44 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: plug wire test ?All good suggestions-thank you guys. I'll look for that unsuspecting helper Steve. We have a few winners out at the airport who would fit the bill nicely andit might stop them from coming by and telling me unsolicited stories that never seem to end.Last year I found a fatigued solder joint/wire to plug clip connection prior to Oshkosh and simply resoldered it to a freshly cut strand of copper core wire.I'm thinking of making up one new L mag wire and rotating that among the bottom plugs to see if I can find/eliminate the offending wire.Good suggestion on swapping mag caps though both appear sound. Never know.Yes Don, Don Helmick said I could bring my wires down and he'd test them. He let me use his pressurized spark plug tester last week. Thanks for the offerof the spare mag. Right now I've got your right hand man and mine coming out Weds. night to troubleshoot w/ me--- Bill Klosz. He loves telling the storyabout how many times they tore down your engine to find that plugged oil galley !Like Bill says they can do any job and the impossible jobs just take a little longer. His other saying is "good enough for who it's for".Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: plug wire test ?
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Tough choices

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bill Church"
Mikee: if you want to convert to automotive plugs, Great Plains offers shieldedplug adapters for use with standard mag harnesses, here:http://www.greatplainsas.com/scspkplug.htmlI'll ping my magneto guru on your RPM drop problem and see what I come up with.Back in a flash.--------Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TXAir Camper NX41CCRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Tough choices
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
Wood requirements for cut-to-size sticks are fairly straightforward, and the listsreferred to by Ryan are pretty accurate.Working with rough-sawn lumber is not so clear-cut (no pun intended), because thesizes are not standardized (hence the name). I bought my Sitka as 8/4 planks,and actual sizes varied from 2" to 2 1/4" thickness, and widths from 5" to7". By making minimal passes through the thickness planer, on one board I wasleft with 2 1/8" finished, which yielded two 1" thicknesses. If you're buying1" rough boards, you will likely only be left with 3/4" or maybe 7/8" after planing- which will not be thick enough to yield the 1" x 1" longerons.As a reference, so far I've bought two 20-foot 2" x 6ish" planks, and two of AircraftSpruce's "bargain bags of spruce", which should be enough to build thestructure (minus spars) once . Bill C.no tag line for meRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: plug wire test ?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: A65s are bulletproof!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "John Recine"
Dan,I don't know what you are looking at for a timeline in getting it put back together, but if you are trying for Brodhead you may want to call up Poplar Grove Airmotive and see what they have in stock for cylinders. If you weren't overly concerned with getting that exact same cylinder back they may have an exchange cylinder done and sitting on the shelf waiting to go. Sorry to hear the bad news. I hope the repairs go smoothly, RyanOn Jun 15, 2010, at 8:33 PM, "Steve Ruse" wrote:> Dan, > > Gibson aviation in El Reno, OK overhauled two cylinders for me last year. Cost was about $800 for the pair. Not bad, and they looked like new when I got them back. They usually have ads in TAP, or Google will get you their number.> > These small Continentals are indestructible...mine was last overhauled in '67, 10 years before I was born, and I've added 400hrs to it in the last six years Last year, it carried me to OshKosh and back with no complaints. Actually, those two cylinders are all I've actually done to the engine, and that was just a pushrod tube seal replacement where I went overboard with "while I'm in there" syndrome.> > Steve Ruse> Norman, OK> > > > -- Sent from my Palm Pre> > On Jun 15, 2010 7:41 PM, Dan Yocum wrote: > > > Well, I had the condition inspection done on N8031 today. There is a > short list of squawks but the biggun' was that cylinder #4 had a > compression of about 20lbs and you could just hear the air rushing out > the exhaust valve. It made me kind of sick to hear it, knowing that > was the sound of money slipping around the valve and out into the > aether. > > Looking at the amount of carbon encrusting the piston head this > sucker's been in a bad way for quite some time. Which, strangely, > heartened me. If this thing can keep running in this state for this > long, then these little engines are just about indestructible. > > Both compression rings were broken and both valves refused to seat. > There was some scoring and pitting on the valve stems. > > Well, it's gonna cost a small fortune, but N8031 should climb like a > homesick angel when all is said and done. > > Dan > > -- > yocum(at)gmail.com > ============ ============ ============ ============> > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A65s are bulletproof!
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Tough choices

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Kringle"
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________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Tough choices
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack"
How long are the 1" longerons? I have not received my plans yet.--------JohnRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: airlion
Mike, the lead tester used for shielded wires should be able to be used for unshieldedwires also. My best guess is you have a wire with a break in the wireitself, or the insulation is breaking down, and arcing to ground, somewhere betweenthe mag and the plug. Best guess would be the latter choice, and couldeven be several wires arcing to ground. just enough to give you a weak spark.The testers we had at school, didn't seem to hook up like you would think they do. I remember if you hooked them up the way it appeared to supposed to be, you would get a serious charge out if the deal when you pushed the test button. Aircraft Tool Supply carries a tester here: http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/search_result.aspx that is used to test high tension spark plug leads. It may be available elsewhere for less. The reason I looked at their site, is they have a package deal with a timing light, the lead tester, and some other stuff, and that is the package the school had.--------Long flights, smooth air, and soft landings,GliderMike, aka Mike GlasgowRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:45:05 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: tfr for friday, ohio piet gathering

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Mueller
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: tfr for friday, ohio piet gathering
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: plug wire test ?

Post by matronics »

matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: tfr for friday, ohio piet gathering

Post by matronics »

> Here you go:> http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_6255.html> > > > On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM,> shad bell > wrote:> > > > > To Don, Skipp, Mike,Frank, and anyone else flying to the> Ohio Piet Gathering on friday evening to camp out: The> dummy from the White House will be in Columbus on friday,> the tfr includes OH71, as the no fly zone from about> 3pm-5:30 pm. Look it up online to get a picture, or maybe> one of you computer savy guys could attatch it to a response> to this e-mail. Of course you could fly in anyway, I think> the f-16's would have a hell of a time flying at 40mph.> > > > > Shad> > > > > > > > > > > > ==========> > st"> target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List> > ==========> > http://forums.matronics.com> > ==========> > le, List Admin.> > ="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution> > ==========> > > > > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:09:49 -0700 (PDT)