Pietenpol-List: Re: home brew products and or methods

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: home brew products and or methods

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: H RULE
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: home brew products and or methodsdoes anyone have a home brew source and or method for polishing mill grade aluminum sheet stock to mirror finish? I would be interested in learningabout such product and techniques.ThanksJohnIn a message dated 8/13/2010 2:31:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jdotson(at)erec.net writes:--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: "Jerry Dotson" Penetrating Oils Compared Machinist's Workshop magazine tested various penetrants for break-out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjectivetest of all the popular penetrants, with the control being the torquerequired to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.Penetrating oil ..... Average loadNone ..................... 516 poundsWD-40 .................. 238 poundsPB Blaster ............. 214 poundsLiquid Wrench ...... 127 poundsKano Kroil ............ 106 poundsATF-Acetone mix... 53 poundsThe ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatictransmission fluid and acetone.Note that the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in thisone particular test. A local machinist group has mixed up a batch and all nowof them use it with equally good results. Notice also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. This was sent to me by email and I have not verified but am going to try the homemade mix myself.--------Jerry Dotson59 Daniel Johnson RdBaker, FL 32531Started building NX510JD July, 2009Ribs and tailfeathers doneusing Lycoming O-235Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:40:09 -0700 (PDT)