Pietenpol-List: amateur aircraft building and flying

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: amateur aircraft building and flying

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
I've been loaned a classic book on amateur aircraftconstruction: Henri Mignet's "Flying Flea". Wonderfulbook, whether or not you like his little creation.I'll just post a few excerpts from the book here, andsee if you don't agree that Mignet understood the samethings that Pietenpol did, and from the same era (the1920s and 30s):"Although the Flying Flea is a novelty it is neverthelessmade for amateurs. Because it is destined for amateurs,and is I think (not to look too far ahead) above all amachine for getting a start in Air matters, I have paidmore attention to the practical possibilities of itsconstruction than to its technical efficiency. Theprogramme is to build and then to fly as quickly as possible.The amateur is patient and skilful, but he is not aprofessional. Give him a machine which is unrefined, solid,simple, easy to make without excessive skill or special tools.Let us save him the task of calculating, of seeking solutions,even of choice. Later on he can use his initiative- but thisis not the time. First comes flying: invention can follow.The amateur has only a moderate tool-kit and not much room towork. He lives far from a flying ground. He must makeeverything with the means at his disposal.""To fly! Yes, but first one must get acquainted with themachine and its surroundings. One must roll, do lots ofrolling, often on rough ground. One ought to be able to gohome at night happy, without having broken anything, withoutbeing discouraged by the prospects of the delay of a monthto make repairs of doubtful soundness."Great stuff from these early homebuilders...Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CCSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net ________________________________________________________________________________