> > Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brace cables,

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
matronics

> > Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brace cables,

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > rmueller23(at)gmail.com
> --> Pietenpol-List message posted> by: Dan Yocum > > Gene,> > It's vector math! William could have picked the> location of the right > aileron horn if he really wanted to do the math in 3> dimensions (yuck!), > but since the aircraft CG must be 25-33% of the wing cord> (someone > correct me if I'm wrong on that), picking the LE of the> wing is FAR > easier to take the rest of the measurements from. Let> me say that > again: the distance of the CG from the LE is a> constant > value.It is> absolutely NOT incorrect, nor is it > irrelevant, to pick that point from which to make all the> other > measurements.> > Additionally, take N8031 as a case in point against moving> the engine > (that's #2 in the list in case anyone was wondering).> The second owner > lengthened the motor mount - brace yourselves - 8> inches. EIGHT INCHES! > And it still didn't completely fix the W&B> balance of the plane. > Supposedly, I only weigh 143 lbs. For the record, I'm> 171 fully dressed > and I've flown 'er about 55 hours. The previous owner> was heavier than > me by at least 25 lbs and he flew the plane about 180 tach> hours.> > I have to say that sealing the elevator gaps helped the> overall pitch > handling A LOT. Now, I'm thinking about rebuilding> the cabanes and > shifting the wing back to get everything tuned up, but the> way the > center section attach points were created - the bolts are> parallel to > the fuselage - 90 degrees off from all other Piet's I've> seen - it's > going to take more work than just building new front> cabanes with welded > diagonal braces.> > But, since the plane flies, and flies pretty well (y'all> saw that at > B'head last year), I'm not all rip rarin' to get started on> that project > quite yet.> > Dan> > > On 01/23/2011 11:39 AM, Gene Rambo wrote:> > OK, Ryan, I have got to call BS on this one. The> location of the datum> > and moving anything in relationship to it is> irrelevant. It is proper to> > say that to avoid the anteater look you might want to> move the wing, but> > using the datum as a reason is incorrect. This is the> big problem I have> > with the W&B project that was in the last> newsletter. Rather than> > putting the datum at a fixed point, such as the> firewall or propeller> > flange, the wing leading edge (a movable point) was> used. Based on a> > fixed point, the information as to axle location and> engine mount length> > would have been much more useful. As it stands, I do> not see any use for> > the data as published.> >> > Gene Rambo> >> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------> > Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:51:53 -0600> > Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brace cables,> pulleys, wing supports
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brace cables, pulleys, wing supports

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> "Dangerous Dave"
> --> Pietenpol-List message posted> by: "Charles Campbell" > > Dave, what size cable do you use on the rear one?> ----- Original Message -----