Pietenpol-List: Headlines: Wife Sacrifices Room to A/C Project

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Headlines: Wife Sacrifices Room to A/C Project

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: norm
A bit cool for Resorcinol glue, so I brought everything in to the only roomleft un-remodeled (sort of the 'catch all').Gary Boothe Cool, Ca. Pietenpol WW Corvair Conversion, Running! Tail done, Fuselage on gear, RIBS DONE!________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 09:05:12 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Headlines: Wife Sacrifices Room to A/C Project

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Gary,Looks like the exercise machine is in worn out condition. I have a treadmill insame condition. Makes a good coat rack though. Do you expect to fly this year?--------Jerry Dotson59 Daniel Johnson RdBaker, FL 32531Started building NX510JD July, 2009wing, tailfeathers done, fuselage rollingusing Lycoming O-235Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Headlines: Wife Sacrifices Room to A/C Project

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Yeah, that machine beckons me all the time...but I'm deaf.Think I still got another year. I just finished re-organizing the garage tomake room for wings hoisted to the ceiling. Except for a couple loose endson electric and fuel, the fuselage and tail are ready for cover.Gary -----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally got to Fly

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jerry Dotson"
Every weekend for the past month it has been warm enough to fly in an opencockpit, but the winds were so strong that it would just not be enjoyable.For example, last Monday it was 72 degrees, but the winds were 42 knots withgusts to 60 knots, directly across the runway. No thank you.Today after church it finally seemed to be as close to perfect as I=92m likelyto see for a while ' temperature 55=B0 and winds 160 at 8 knots (the runwayhere at Smith Mountain Lake is 5/23). So I pulled the Pietenpol out of thehangar for her first flight since November. The faithful non-Corvairstarted on the first blade. I back-taxied down the runway to take off onrunway 23, enjoying the nice firm braking (I had bled the brakes yesterdayand they are the best they=92ve ever been).I took off and set up a nice crab angle to keep me over the runwaycenterline and cruised out over the lake. I got as high as 800 feet AGL andenjoyed the nice crisp cool air for about 20 minutes, waving to the boattraffic on the lake, before I began to feel cold. So I turned around andheaded back to the airport and entered the traffic pattern on a leftcrosswind for 23. As I made the left turn to downwind, I noticed that theailerons felt VERY stiff. I tried a turn to the right ' no problem.Another turn to the left ' VERY stiff. I found I could only move the stickabout 2=94 past centerline to the left, and that took quite an effort.Sphincter clinch. I needed some left aileron to handle the left crosswind.I went ahead and made the approach, and when I turned final I set up theslip to hold the crosswind. It took both hands to force the stick over farenough to compensate for the wind. I had decided that if I couldn=92t holdthe crosswind with the little bit of left aileron I had available, I wouldgo around and land on 5, where the crosswind would be from my right, but Iwould also have a pretty good tailwind component. Once I got near theground, and the trees blocked some of the wind, I found I could relax alittle of the pressure on the stick and actually made a nice 3-pointlanding. I immediately pulled into the FBO=92s ramp and got out to see whathad caused the problem.What I found was that the front seatback cushion had come loose from itsvelcro and had fallen forward, blocking the front stick whenever I tried touse left aileron. I now have a bungee cord holding the seatback cushion inplace to prevent this. The primary culprit seems to be the fact that I hadnot flown the airplane in so long. So as spring creeps its way north, andyou get ready to fly your plane again for the first time in months, payextra attention to all the little things that can relax or get loose over along cold winter.Jack PhillipsNX899JP =93Icarus Plummet=94Raleigh, NC________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally got to Fly
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
Jack so proud you got to fly and put it up with no wrinkles in it. Murphy's lawstill exists! I am wanting to fly so bad and my plane is at least 2 if not 3or 4 months away from being finished. I have to tell myself...don't get in a hurry,no shortcuts, etc so the finished product looks like I want it. Are yourseat belts removable ? I have been thinking about that and what happened to youis making me think harder. 77 here right now. Just came in for a drink....buildingrudder pedals.--------Jerry Dotson59 Daniel Johnson RdBaker, FL 32531Started building NX510JD July, 2009wing, tailfeathers done, fuselage rollingusing Lycoming O-235Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally got to Fly

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Hi Jerry,No, my seatbelts are not intentionally removable. Why would you want themremovable? I guess I could unbolt the front ones easily enough, but there'sno reason to. Actually, the front seatbelt is usually pulled down tightover the bottom seat cushion, preventing it from doing what the seatbackcushion did today.Jack PhillipsNX899JP "Icarus Plummet"Raleigh, NC-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally got to Fly

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: airlion
matronics

> RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally got to Fly

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
> --> Pietenpol-List message posted> by: "Jack Phillips" > > Hi Jerry,> > No, my seatbelts are not intentionally removable. Why> would you want them> removable? I guess I could unbolt the front ones> easily enough, but there's> no reason to. Actually, the front seatbelt is usually> pulled down tight> over the bottom seat cushion, preventing it from doing what> the seatback> cushion did today.> > Jack Phillips> NX899JP "Icarus Plummet"> Raleigh, NC> > -----Original Message-----