Pietenpol-List: Yaawwn.....new thread needed- Did you ever think..

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Yaawwn.....new thread needed- Did you ever think..

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: helspersew(at)aol.com
Yeah! I still have the habbit of using blue Loctite on aircraft lock nuts. Figure that out.Subject: Pietenpol-List: Yaawwn.....new thread needed- Did you ever think...........
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rod Wooller
Hello all you G.P's=2CDid you ever think about how much faith is put into the lowly cotter pin? I warn you=2C if you dwell on this subject too long you will begin to scare yourself. I remember a few years ago when I did a test run of my engine and I had the airplane completely assembled (no cover) with all the castle nuts just hand tight. After a few minutes of ground run almost every one of those little suckers was on the ground=2C control cables hanging etc. What if just one of the cotter pins failed on the bellcrank connections? I guess one can console oneself a little=2C by thinking that most of those pesky little critters can be inspected prior to each flight=2C but what about the ones you can't look at??? I have scared myself sufficiently=2C as to contemplate fabricating a "hybrid" safety mechanism for those hidden bellcrank connections............. How about this idea? Take a nylon lock nut=2C drill a cotter pin hole in it=2C so it can be threaded-on just short of being tight=2C and inserting a cotter pin. That way=2C you can have a nice warm=2C fuzzy=2C and secure feeling of having all those AN3 sized bolts double safetied. Dan HelsperPuryear=2C TN. ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:49:07 +1300