RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale, (transponder)

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
On the Transponder issue, If a battery is required to make the engine run(for electronic ignition or coil and points ignition) a Transponder is NOTrequired. But........if you have just one device taking power from thatsystem, (handheld radio, light, intercom, cell phone, GPS, electric turn &bank, etc.) Then a Transponder is required. A battery, starter andgenerator/alternator JUST for the engine to operate is not considered anelectrical system requiring a Transponder. We are located inside the 30 mile Mode C ring for Atlanta and routinely flyamongst all the Delta jets. We can't fly in their airspace, but they candang sure fly in ours!Barry DavisNX973BP-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale, (transponder)

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve emo
For Jim - Yes to the locking clip. I don't remember the sizes - sorry. Had afriend bring several different sizes from a bike shop where he worked. If I wereto do it again I think I'd just use two female halves and secure with appropriatehardware, like the pictures posted earlier in this thread.Kevin--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeNX899KPAustin/Georgetown, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:19:00 -0400Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale, (transponder)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> bed(at)mindspring.com
If I read the FARs correctly it says an engine driven electrical system.Doug DeverIn beautiful Stow Ohio
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale, (transponder)I see some hairs to split here and so, a battery with a solar cell to passively power the battery charger does not qualify as engine driven and therefor exempt of having to be transponder equipped aircraft?JohnIn a message dated 6/15/2011 4:57:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, chiefpepperhead(at)hotmail.com writes:If I read the FARs correctly it says an engine driven electrical system.Doug DeverIn beautiful Stow Ohio
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve emo
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale, (transponder)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: AMsafetyC(at)aol.com
Sounds right to me. The regs say "engine driven"Doug DeverIn beautiful Stow Ohio
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale=2C (transponder)

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve.emo58(at)gmail.com
That's how I interpret it. It was a concern for me as KSU is within the 30nm ring for Cleveland and one reason for me opting to not have an electrical syst. That=2C and I'm a purist:)Doug DeverIn beautiful Stow OhioDate: Wed=2C 15 Jun 2011 21:50:38 -0400Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale=2C (transponder)
matronics

> RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale=2C (transponder)

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
> > > On the Transponder issue=2C If a battery is required to make the engine run> (for electronic ignition or coil and points ignition) a Transponder is NOT> required. But........if you have just one device taking power from that> system=2C (handheld radio=2C light=2C intercom=2C cell phone=2C GPS=2C electric turn &> bank=2C etc.) Then a Transponder is required. A battery=2C starter and> generator/alternator JUST for the engine to operate is not considered an> electrical system requiring a Transponder. > We are located inside the 30 mile Mode C ring for Atlanta and routinely fly> amongst all the Delta jets. We can't fly in their airspace=2C but they can> dang sure fly in ours!> Barry Davis> NX973BP> > > -----Original Message-----
matronics

> RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale, (transponder)

Post by matronics »

> > > On the Transponder issue, If a battery is required to make the engine run> (for electronic ignition or coil and points ignition) a Transponder is NOT> required. But........if you have just one device taking power from that> system, (handheld radio, light, intercom, cell phone, GPS, electric turn &> bank, etc.) Then a Transponder is required. A battery, starter and> generator/alternator JUST for the engine to operate is not considered an> electrical system requiring a Transponder. > We are located inside the 30 mile Mode C ring for Atlanta and routinely fly> amongst all the Delta jets. We can't fly in their airspace, but they can> dang sure fly in ours!> Barry Davis> NX973BP> > > -----Original Message-----
matronics

> > RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale, (transponder)

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
>> >> >> > On the Transponder issue, If a battery is required to make the engine run> > (for electronic ignition or coil and points ignition) a Transponder is> NOT> > required. But........if you have just one device taking power from that> > system, (handheld radio, light, intercom, cell phone, GPS, electric turn> &> > bank, etc.) Then a Transponder is required. A battery, starter and> > generator/alternator JUST for the engine to operate is not considered an> > electrical system requiring a Transponder.> > We are located inside the 30 mile Mode C ring for Atlanta and routinely> fly> > amongst all the Delta jets. We can't fly in their airspace, but they can> > dang sure fly in ours!> > Barry Davis> > NX973BP> >> >> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale=2C (transponder)

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Project for sale=2C (transponder)I see some hairs to split here and so=2C a battery with a solar cell to passively power the battery charger does not qualify as engine driven and therefor exempt of having to be transponder equipped aircraft?JohnIn a message dated 6/15/2011 4:57:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time=2C chiefpepperhead(at)hotmail.com writes:If I read the FARs correctly it says an engine driven electrical system.Doug DeverIn beautiful Stow Ohio
matronics

Post by matronics »

> > > On the Transponder issue=2C If a battery is required to make the engine run> (for electronic ignition or coil and points ignition) a Transponder is NOT> required. But........if you have just one device taking power from that> system=2C (handheld radio=2C light=2C intercom=2C cell phone=2C GPS=2C electric turn &> bank=2C etc.) Then a Transponder is required. A battery=2C starter and> generator/alternator JUST for the engine to operate is not considered an> electrical system requiring a Transponder. > We are located inside the 30 mile Mode C ring for Atlanta and routinely fly> amongst all the Delta jets. We can't fly in their airspace=2C but they can> dang sure fly in ours!> Barry Davis> NX973BP> > > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »