ptember 15, 2011 9:11 PM=0A Pietenpol-List: CG Question=0A=0A=0A

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: CG Question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Larry Morlock I haven't built mine yet (but I have plans from Don)...From the Air > Force Loadmaster standpoint, I can tell you that an airplane is > more 'touchy' at slow speed with a CG toward the aft limits than > onecloser to the normal limits of the design...A stall can be more > violent and it would be easier for the airplane to flip over on its > back orflatten our to a spin(Although, I have never had a C-130 > do that...LOL)...A more forward CG (within limits)willallow an > airplane to glide with more stability without power....Control > pressures might feel a little heavier with the CG further away from > the aftlimits but that shouldn't be any concern with this > mostexcellent aeroplane design....I'm sure actual builders and > fliers of our beloved Air Camper can add good counsel with details > to your quest for information.> > Happy building!> > Jim Courtney>
matronics

ptember 15, 2011 9:11 PM=0A Pietenpol-List: CG Question=0A=0A=0A

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Boyer
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: way to go Chris!!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Chris Rusch"
Awesome work Chris, congrats!! Will make a beautiful engine!!!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: way to go Chris!!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dortch, Steven D MAJ NG NG FORSCOM"
Thanks Douwe, you will like it when you see it.......Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Courtney
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: CG QuestionIn layman's terms, the reason a plane gets more "Twitchy" with an aft CG is theshortened distance between the CG (moved aft) and the elevator. Move the CG forward and the plane becomes more stable. When the CG is too far forward,the plane becomes so stable that the required response may be too slowor not possible. IE too far forward a CG and you can't get a good flare whenrequired. Blue Skies,Steve D----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Jim Courtney
I thought the reason for the increased sensitivity was due to the Center of Gravitybecoming closer to the wing's Center of Pressure.I guess it's time to dig out my textbooks...Wayne BresslerTaildraggers, Inc.www.taildraggersinc.comOn Sep 16, 2011, at 12:20 PM, "Dortch, Steven D MAJ NG NG FORSCOM" wrote:> > In layman's terms, the reason a plane gets more "Twitchy" with an aft CG is theshortened distance between the CG (moved aft) and the elevator. > > Move the CG forward and the plane becomes more stable. When the CG is too farforward, the plane becomes so stable that the required response may be too slowor not possible. IE too far forward a CG and you can't get a good flare whenrequired. > > Blue Skies,> Steve D> > ----- Original Message -----
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: CG Question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> Larry Morlock Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: CG Question> To: "pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com" > > >> I haven't built mine yet (but I have plans from Don)...From the Air >> Force Loadmaster standpoint, I can tell you that an airplane is >> more 'touchy' at slow speed with a CG toward the aft limits than >> one closer to the normal limits of the design...A stall can be more >> violent and it would be easier for the airplane to flip over on its >> back or flatten our to a spin (Although, I have never had a C-130 >> do that...LOL)...A more forward CG (within limits) will allow an >> airplane to glide with more stability without power....Control >> pressures might feel a little heavier with the CG further away from >> the aft limits but that shouldn't be any concern with this >> most excellent aeroplane design....I'm sure actual builders and >> fliers of our beloved Air Camper can add good counsel with details >> to your quest for information.>> >> Happy building!>> >> Jim Courtney>>