Pietenpol-List: Polyurethane paint coverage estimate

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Modified Seine Knot

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack"
That's awesome Gary!- I'm glad to see you're getting that covering done, but slow down. How am I supposed to stay ahead of you when you're working so quickly?- I guess I'll have to get my wings down this next weekend and start their covering.- I've got the logos on the side of the fuselage and now I'll start laying out for the stripe or spears down the side. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of your covering as it moves forward. Mike GroahTulare CASent from my iPhone3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3Dol-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Piet ... =3D=3Dalle, List Admin.p://www.matronics.com/contribution3D=3D=3D= ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Polyurethane paint coverage estimate

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
If I remember right, (it's been a long time)-I think we used a little over 1 1/2 gal on the Tri-Pacers we did.- That was after all the filler coats.- My dad got field approval to use automotive urethane.- We just put a flex agent in the paint.- One of them that I know of still had the same paint job 25yrs later.- No cracks.- Still shined.-- I do not remember exactly how much weight it added.- I think about 20lbs over the cotton and dope it replaced.- When I get farther along I plan on doing 1 yd test panels to see what rout I want to go.-My .02-Doug
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Polyurethane paint coverage estimate

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Doug Dever
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Modified Seine Knot

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jim_markle(at)mindspring.com
During Oshkosh there is a wing jig available that is used to teach rib stitching.Would there be any interest in having such a jig available to learn how totie these knots during Broadhead?Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Modified Seine Knot
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Marsha Wilson
Yes------Original Message------
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Modified Seine Knot

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jorge lizarraga
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Modified Seine Knot

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
That would be great Dan. As you know I've spent some time on the jig atOSH.Thanks,JackDSM-----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Polyurethane paint coverage estimate

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: aviatorbell(at)yahoo.com
To give you an idea. I did a '63 Ford Falcon Convertable last summer. A shade less than 3 quarts of color and a Gallon of clear. And we put 5 good wet coats of clear on. (needed to wet sand and buff to mirror finnish). That was=2C of course=2C doing all the door jams and door edges where most of the paint is lost. There is very little loss on an aircraft because it's mostly flat panels. Keep in mind though=2C With a high pressure gun only about 30-40% of the paint sticks to the surface. The rest is lost. Using an HVLP=2C 60-70% of the paint sticks.So if you were to "use" 3 gal of paint on an airplane=2C only 1 gal is actually "on" it. Minus the solvents. So=2C weight wise it's not as much as you would think.Doug DeverIn beautiful Stow OhioDate: Sun=2C 18 Sep 2011 11:27:30 -0700
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Polyurethane paint coverage estimate

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
If I remember right=2C (it's been a long time) I think we used a little over 1 1/2 gal on the Tri-Pacers we did. That was after all the filler coats. My dad got field approval to use automotive urethane. We just put a flex agent in the paint. One of them that I know of still had the same paint job 25yrs later. No cracks. Still shined. I do not remember exactly how much weight it added. I think about 20lbs over the cotton and dope it replaced. When I get farther along I plan on doing 1 yd test panels to see what rout I want to go.My .02Doug