Pietenpol-List: Re: Rudder pedals vs. rudder bar

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Rudder pedals vs. rudder bar

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jeff Wilson
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Rudder pedals vs. rudder barGood discussion on this topic. I went with the rudder bar in the back, with brake pedals and master cylinders mounted on the fuselage diagonal braces so that I can reach them with my toes. I got the drawings from Bill Rewey. This works pretty well. I have rudder pedals, without brakes of course, in the front seat. I like being able to let my passengers fly. My 14 year old glider student has been flying some from the front and I think I've made a convert to Pietenpols in him. I recognize the worry about someone unqualified grabbing the controls, but I've flown tandem seat glider trainersfrom the back for 30 years and given a lot of glider sightseeing and familiarization rides, and have never had anyone try to take the contols awayfrom me. More the opposite - usually I have to coax someone to actually take the controls. One addition I found worthwhile with the rudder bar was to add thin aluminum or stainless steel plates where your heels rest on the floor. Since withthe rudder bar, you're pushing more with your entire leg rather than your toes, your heels tend to slide on the floor, and the metal plate reduces friction, besides providing some protection to the wood floor. Matt Paxton________________________________________________________________________________