Pietenpol-List: 1st flight--flaring high in a Pietenpol

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: 1st flight--flaring high in a Pietenpol

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
Subject: Pietenpol-List: 1st flight--flaring high in a PietenpolCongratulations Jerry! One man's observation is that we sit LOW on the ground in a Pietenpoland the sensation when getting close to the ground is that you're too low. Don't let that fool you. We are just not used to sitting that low in an airplane while trying totouch down. Get a good 'sight image' of where the horizoncrosses thru your nose while you're doing your taxi testing and stampthat in your memory. When you get into your first landing my advice wouldbe to carry a little power because these draggy things loose airspeed fastand stalling in high bites:) An old instructor told me to keep my vision2/3rds the way down the runway during landing. Boy does that ever helpwith directional control. Ah well, for all I know Jerry you've got 2,000 hours of tailwheel time. I thinkI'm just giving myself a refresher since I only have a few landings thisyear under my belt and not all were pretty! Best wishes--you've come a long, long way. The next phase of your adventureis soon to begin!Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 18:00:50 -0700 (PDT)