Pietenpol-List: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Straight Axle Stops

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: helspersew(at)aol.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...> > Sorry, Andrew, but that's absolutely hysterical! > > "Nothin's truly funny until someone gets hurt."> > Best to your lovely family.> > do not arcive> > --------> Kevin "Axel" Purtee> NX899KP> Austin/San Marcos, TX> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 556#377556> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Straight Axle Stops
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Andrew Eldredge
I have a question on preventing the axle from rotating on a straight axle gear with brakes . I have decided to add mechanical disc brakes and intend to use a short length of cable from the landing gear strut to the brake caliper to stop the axle from rotating. My EAA Tech Counselor says this is not advisable as the cable is not in line with the caliper and will place an excessive side load on the brake rotor. However, I have seen this arrangement on other Piets at Brodhead.Any advice from people with this arrangement? Is the side load a problem? I only plan to use the brakes for taxiing. I have a steerable tailwheel, but thought I need the brakes to make sure I don't run into anything on the ground, so shouldn't be a lot of force generated.I'm planning to stop at Brodhead on Saturday morning on the way to OSH, so look forward to meeting and greeting. Larry Morlock________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 14:33:33 -0600Subject: Pietenpol-List: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Sorry, Andrew, but that's absolutely hysterical! "Nothin's truly funny until someone gets hurt."Best to your lovely family.do not arcive--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeNX899KPAustin/San Marcos, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Straight Axle Stops

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
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________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Straight Axle Stops
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: gboothe5(at)comcast.net
Hey all,One thing I've forgotten to share about 799B's incident, and which mightprove interesting to some is this.When she went off the runway and hit the drainage ditch, the speed wasprobably 20-25mph at the most, and the wing tank only had ten gallons in itbut the wing displaced forward an inch or two because my diagonal braceswere totally incapable of handling any stress in compression (that has beenfixed!)However, I wanted to mention that the anti drag flying wire on one sideactually was snapped and the other shows clear signs of overstress. Thecable itself snapped, not the swage fitting attachment. The cables were the3/32 as called for in the plans, and were good condition galvanized cables.Take from this what you like, but it seems to me that this cable shouldn'thave broken from a relatively mild deceleration.I know 3/32 has proved totally adequate for normal flying, I just wonderthough if it might be a bit light for a situation like this which can easilylead to ruptured fuel lines in a wing tank.I'm replacing them with 1/8th and taking the few ounce weight penaltyincurred.DouweProgress report: making seat cushions. Bought some memory foam pillows fromAmazon for $17 bucks and they seem like the perfect starting point for anice comfy seat.Gap seals on tail done. Ended up doing two corner moldings from balsa andleaving a 1/8th gap, then doping a fabric "bridge" across them. Overkill,but looks nice and should work well.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: broken 3/32 flying wire

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "womenfly2"
Well, the setup you're mentioning really stops the caliper bracket from rotating,not the axle, right?If so, that's the setup mine has, and it works just fine. I don't see any noticableside force and havn't had the axle move back and forth at all.My cables hook to the gear plates on the outside, keeping it as inline as possible.Looks like it runs to the inside, if it's the cable and not a brake line,in the pic.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: broken 3/32 flying wire
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
OMG! Uh, I mean, sorry to hear that... really.Sounds like Gary is on to what a good old boy here in Georgia told me works thebest to get the skunk smell of his traps when he gets one...and that is... (wait for it...)About a month.Flying it around has gotta work as good as anything, providing it's not too badto actually fly! Seems to me skunk smell doesn't seem to last on cars too longwhen you run them over.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Andrew Eldredge
My name is Jamie and that's my nickname for James (clears up the possible gender?).I live in the Denver area (Westminster but moving to Erie).I was thinking about building an RV-10 to fly the family around but the lower costPietenpol looks interesting. As a matter of fact the plane looks downrightluscious. I'm still going to do the RV-10 but wait until my bank account hasa couple more zeros following. I'd like to spend a lot of time on a hobby buta lot of time I don't have....for a Sunday flyer.Maybe I should ask the first person who responded here, tool, where that $6k planeis and then procede. Having a classic plane to putz around in will be awesomebut putting in 2000 hours for it...there's too many projects that will comebetween me and that.Where's the thread for those needing to back out of their 2000 hr project so Ican swoop in and take over their baby?If I could drive 15 hrs this weekend to WI I would but that would mean 15 hrs onthe way back. I'd like to go. Is there anyone that is flying and needs company?JamieBill Church wrote:> Hello nameless question-poster,> > An entrepreneur DID create kits of parts to build entire Pietenpol aircraft,but to order one of those kits, you'll first need to get yourself a working timemachine. The kits were sold by a fellow named Bernard Pietenpol, about 75years ago.> The only real fast track to getting airborne in a Piet is to buy yourself a flyingone, or buy someone's nearly completed project. Otherwise, it's going torequire about 2000 hours of build time. You don't need to be a master woodworker,but you do need to have some basic woodworking skills and tools - it isa wooden plane, after all. You will also need to have (or learn) metalworkingskills, since there are a considerable number of metal parts on this "all wood"aircraft. You will also need to learn how to weld, or learn how to pay someoneto do your welding for you.> The Pietenpol is one of the least expensive "real" aircraft you can build. Butthat's because the hours of work that go into building one are never enteredinto the equation. If you keep your hourly "wage" down around one dollar perhour, you can probably make money building and selling parts.> In short... there are no short cuts. If your main goal is to get into the airquickly, the Pietenpol probably isn't the right choice for a project. If, onthe other hand, your goal is to build an aircraft with your bare hands (anda few power tools), and to be able to say "I built every part of this machinemyself", and learn numerous skills along the way, then this is the plane to build.> > Bill C.> > > Bill C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 23:09:39 -0600Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Mueller
> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane> anyway...> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>>> >> > Sorry, Andrew, but that's absolutely hysterical!> >> > "Nothin's truly funny until someone gets hurt."> >> > Best to your lovely family.> >> > do not arcive> >> > --------> > Kevin "Axel" Purtee> > NX899KP> > Austin/San Marcos, TX> >> >> >> >> > Read this topic online here:> >> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 556#377556> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:56:29 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Well, I was needing to wash my my airplane anyway...