Pietenpol-List: steel fuse

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: steel fuse

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Hey Rob (I assume that's your name from your email address)I'd build a steel fuse next time in a heartbeat. I find it easier to buildand, as has been mentioned, is reputedly significantly lighter.The plane was designed for the Ford and balances OK with the wood fuse,though many stretch the motor mount a few inches, so a lighter steel fuseshould be perfect as is. Shouldn't need to move anything around.I am unaware of any detailed plans for the fuse. You're right, you'll haveto "wing" the details, which shouldn't be a big deal. Just reference thewood fuselage plans and put stuff in the same places.Don't know of any steel empennage out there. Plans assume a wood one,though I see no reason one couldn't copy some other light plane design thatused steel like a Heath Parasol.If I wanted the original Jenny gear, I'd build it from steel in as well.Probably come out lighter and stronger (not that it needs to be stronger.)$.02Douwe________________________________________________________________________________