Pietenpol-List: center flop hinges

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: center flop hinges

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Earlier, I posted that I was reworking the hinge on my centersection flop. Sincethere has been discussion about piano hinges and mounting them (ailerons),I'll mention the reason why I'm redoing the hinge on the flop. The hinge is presentlyaluminum and the mounting holes were countersunk to receive flat-headscrews, leaving everything flush. The result of countersinking the holes wasthat the aluminum got quite thin and the holes got very close to the edges ofthe hinge. When the flop is flopped and care is not taken, or if a breeze catchesit in the flopped position, it can bounce and really put a strain on theedges of the holes. Several of the screws in my hinge had pulled through themetal because of this.I am replacing the aluminum hinge with a stainless steel one (from McMaster Carr)and re-mounting it with standard truss head AN526 machine screws into the nutplates.As several others have noted, there is no need for the screw headsto be countersunk if the screws are staggered on the two sides of the hinge suchthat they don't directly oppose one another... the hinge will not close tightlyenough to require that the screw heads be flush.I don't know if anyone else has experienced pull-through on their flop hinges,but I have and I hope the steel hinge and no countersinking will cure that.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________