Pietenpol-List: C-90 prop

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: C-90 prop

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Chuck Campbell
Hey Tom,I've been flying RE-PIET with a C-90 for about a year now. Mine is amodified 0-200 and is nice and fresh, so probably comparable to yours.The C-90 makes a fantastic engine for Piet because it produces it's torqueat relatively low speeds allowing one to swing the long props that draggyairframes like best. It is the most popular engine in the UK where theirplanes weigh a bit more and they predominantly use all variants of theContinental. Do NOT use an 0-200 prop.I wanted to my prop to be "as long as possible, as long as possible" andtherefore started with the dimensions a Ford swings, which is 76X42 or44(ish)I got a list of all the engine/prop combos in the UK and found very littlecommonality (plus some very odd measurements). I then spent some time onthe phone with Jay at Cloud Car Props and we decided he'd make me up a 76"long prop which he THOUGHT the engine would spin up. He said if it didn't,to simply return it and he'd shorten it until it was just right. No need toreturn it, it spins up just great and performs well. It is a Cloud Car 76"diameter, but I can't remember the pitch (maybe 42??). I'm sure he has itin his records if you'd care to contact him at cloudcards(at)verizon.netI'd suggest you get a prop from him, as he's done this before. Tell him youwant to know what he made for Douwe Blumberg's Pietenpol.The prop he made keeps the engine exactly within it's factory recommendedrpm range and being nice and long really does a good job flying the plane(at least I like it).DouweFeel free to contact me offline or call if you want any more info. 805 573 3564 (KY)________________________________________________________________________________