Pietenpol-List: Progress on SkyScout...

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Progress on SkyScout...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
Future Pilot,The best way to increase your useful load is to build lighter. If you constantlythink about how to build it lighter throughout the build, you'll be able tolift whoever you put in there. Mine came in at 626lbs. It could have been lighterand I know where my extra weight is but there's nothing I can do aboutit now. I have an A-65 and have probably flown with a passenger on 500-600 flights.I' ve never felt concerned on climbout. I've had passengers up to about260lbs. Don't know that a much larger person could be shoehorned in the front.What I have noticed is with a larger passenger the bottom seems to dropout a little quicker on landing. It doesn't seem to really like the higher weights.That's why the best way to increase useful load is to build light andnot focus so much on higher horsepower. Larger engines seem to add more weightthan just the engine itself. Larger fuel tank, maybe another fuel tank, starter,generator, adding more stuff because you think it's okay since you have alarger engine, etc. Just try to build a Piet for what it is, a beautifully light,simple, and graceful early 1930's design. You will not be disappointed!Absolutely love mine!!Don EmchNX899DERead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Progress on SkyScout...
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Ray Krause
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Progress on SkyScout...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> Ray Krause
Wow Ray! That is so cool. I love it. I've been wondering how your project is going. It looks really great. Mike GroahSent from my iPad> On Oct 6, 2013, at 7:45 PM, Ray Krause wrote:> > >
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Progress on SkyScout...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>> Ray Krause
Thanks, Mike. Sorry I missed seeing everyone at the West Piet FLYIN this summer. Maybe next year. Please let me know if you folks have any informal gathering.Hope to see you sometime,Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Oct 7, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Michael Groah wrote:> > Wow Ray! That is so cool. I love it. I've been wondering how your project is going. It looks really great. > > Mike Groah> > > Sent from my iPad> >> On Oct 6, 2013, at 7:45 PM, Ray Krause wrote:>> >> >>
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dick N"
> Gary,> > Here are a few photos of the fuselage and mount jig. It's on the gears, the tank is in place and the firewalls are ready. Notice the mechanical toe brakes! Just like the big boys, don't know how they will work? The tail wheel is a copy of the Sonex setup. Uses 1/2" titanium rod. Pretty light. I may have to re-make the wheel castor to raise the tail a few more inches. All control cables have been run and seem to work correctly. Gear springs may have to be reduced in length, depending on what happens when the motor and the rest of the garbage is added.> > When I finish the motor mount, I will have to work on the panel. No electric wiring required! I will work on the A-65 this winter.> > Thanks,> > RaySent from my iPad________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
> >> Gary,>> >> Here are a few photos of the fuselage and mount jig. It's on the gears, the tank is in place and the firewalls are ready. Notice the mechanical toe brakes! Just like the big boys, don't know how they will work? The tail wheel is a copy of the Sonex setup. Uses 1/2" titanium rod. Pretty light. I may have to re-make the wheel castor to raise the tail a few more inches. All control cables have been run and seem to work correctly. Gear springs may have to be reduced in length, depending on what happens when the motor and the rest of the garbage is added.>> >> When I finish the motor mount, I will have to work on the panel. No electric wiring required! I will work on the A-65 this winter.>> >> Thanks,>> >> Ray> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Sent from my iPad________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 06:49:52 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dick N"
>> >>> Gary,>>> >>> Here are a few photos of the fuselage and mount jig. It's on the gears, the tank is in place and the firewalls are ready. Notice the mechanical toe brakes! Just like the big boys, don't know how they will work? The tail wheel is a copy of the Sonex setup. Uses 1/2" titanium rod. Pretty light. I may have to re-make the wheel castor to raise the tail a few more inches. All control cables have been run and seem to work correctly. Gear springs may have to be reduced in length, depending on what happens when the motor and the rest of the garbage is added.>>> >>> When I finish the motor mount, I will have to work on the panel. No electric wiring required! I will work on the A-65 this winter.>>> >>> Thanks,>>> >>> Ray>> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> Sent from my iPad> > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________