Pietenpol-List: Cowl construction

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Cowl construction

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick
For the Continentals, you might find a J-3 Cub and take a close look at the attachingmethod. It takes about 30 seconds to pull the clips and have the top cowloff. I have the Cub cowling off the Grega and can take pictures if you needthem but looking at a J-3 in person is a lot better.DaveRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Cowl construction
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Engine Cowling Help

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Ken and Michael,Here is a photo of how I did my cowl. You can see where the support tabs are located on the firewall, plus one in the center at the bottom of the firewall. The tabs along the top bow of the firewall are located where the cleco's are. Michael, you are right that the cowl needs to cantilever off the firewall and not touch the engine or motor mount. Once you get it designed, bolted and riveted together, it's surprising how strong it is. Make sure you make good use of thin cardboard patterns before you start cutting metal. The cardboard I used was cardboard used to protect product on pallets that I got for free from Tractor Supply Co.Rick SchreiberValparaiso IN________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Engine Cowling Help
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
The cowling on my airplane is put together essentially like those on a Cub andlike on many other Piets. The top and bottom halves are held together mostlyby removable piano hinge pins so that either can be removed independently. NOTHINGis connected from the cowling to the engine, and shouldn't be. The topis held to the firewall by 3 screws/tinnerman nuts from tabs mounted to the firewall,the bottom is held to the firewall by pins with removable clips (two oneach side), and probably a half-dozen screws with tinnerman nuts at the nose.I can have it off the airplane in 10 minutes or less.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 07:10:59 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Engine Cowling Help

Post by matronics »

matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Cowl construction

Post by matronics »

matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Engine Cowling Help

Post by matronics »

matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Engine Cowling Help

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
I found matte board (like for matting picture frames) works better thanposterboard. It's much stiffer (almost as stiff as aluminum) and comes inlarger sizes so you don't have to keep taping pieces of posterboardtogether.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Groah
Mike,The problem I found with poster board for the cowling templates is that the sheets are too small. Having to splice sheets together was too much trouble. As I said, I wound up using the free sheets I got from TSC. I think the sheets are about 40" square and fine as far as thickness and durability go. The free aspect is also great. I found I was more inclined to experiment with the patterns as mistakes cost me nothing except a little timeRick SchreiberValparaiso, INSent from my iPadOn Jan 5, 2014, at 9:26 AM, Michael Perez wrote:> OK, I just wanted to be sure that the cowling did in fact, mount only off the firewall. Thank you all again for the help. > > Someone mentioned using cardboard for templates. I make poster board templates for just about everything prior to fabrication. I keep all of them in case later down the road a part needs to be re-made. I believe I have enough poster board to make my engine cowl wrong a couple times and correct once. > > If God is your co-pilot...switch seats.> Michael Perez> Pietenpol HINT Videos> Karetaker Aero> http://www.karetakeraero.com/> > ============================================================================================================================================________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Cowl construction
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "skipgadd(at)earthlink.net"
________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Engine Cowling Help

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> taildrags
Felix the GN1 has a J3 cowl. It has 3 studs attached to the firewall oneach side, than a piece of leather and lock pins stuck through a hole inthe stud. There is one on each side similar type stud/lock pins holding topto bottom half of cowl. There are 2 studs on eater side of the prop hub.They are bolted with a kind of bow tie shaped piece to the engine block. I always thought it was stock J3, since it has a stock J3 cowl and enginemount.Bingelis does say #1 page 100 "As a rule the cowling is not attached to theengine"Maybe it works on this plane because there are only 6 attach points cowl tofirewall and 2 attach points to the engine block.Anyway it has worked for almost 500 hours no problem. It is also very easyto remove the cowl.Skip> [Original Message]
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Cowl construction

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "GNflyer"
51 days out. More info at this link including info on lodging and registration:https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Corva ... 999282Just copy and paste the link into your browser.--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeRebuilding NX899KPAustin/San Marcos, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Cowl construction
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Robert S. Edson"
Rick I like your ideas for the cowl. mine is sure not as clean- I will probablysteal your idea for the spark plug access holes. I sure have to do somethingbetter and had been thinking of finding some rubber plugs and doing round holesbut those covers look a lot more classic. are you flying that bird yet? wonderingwhat size and pitch prop you have. RaymondRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 17:54:51 -0600
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: update NX53WE

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Bickers
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: update NX53WE
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: update NX53WE

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
I had to re-read it, because at first I was sure you said the Piet burned upin the building. Sorry to hear about the fire, but I hope the insurancewill cover it.Beautiful Pietenpol, by the way.Good luck on making Brodhead with it this year (only 198 days away!)Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: update NX53WE

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Robert S. Edson
Hi Bob,Beautiful machine. I really like the way you transitioned the cowling into the fuse.Dan HelsperPuryear, TN-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Bickers
> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Engine Cowling Help>>> The cowling on my airplane is put together essentially like those on aCub and like on many other Piets. The top and bottom halves are heldtogether mostly by removable piano hinge pins so that either can be removedindependently. NOTHING is connected from the cowling to the engine, andshouldn't be. The top is held to the firewall by 3 screws/tinnerman nutsfrom tabs mounted to the firewall, the bottom is held to the firewall bypins with removable clips (two on each side), and probably a half-dozenscrews with tinnerman nuts at the nose. I can have it off the airplane in10 minutes or less.>> --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 13:19:24 -0700Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Cowl construction