Pietenpol-List: advice on how to fix an error

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: advice on how to fix an error

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: glenschweizer(at)yahoo.com
I am laying out the sides of my fuselage and realized this morning that I madean error. On the left side interior, I accidentally glued a small gusset to thefirst joint behind the pilot's seat. Now I realize that I am supposed to puta long gusset that extends all the way from the joint at the base of the rearseat back to that joint. What do you think I should do? Should I try to sand that whole gusset off and replaceit? Does that long gusset add structural strength there? Seeking advice? Thanks--------Joe PringleAtlanta, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: advice on how to fix an error

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: larharris2 Harris
Hi JoeWhat kind of glue did you use? If t-88 then you're in luck. Simply heat the gussetwith your covering iron. When it's too hot to touch , it will peel off likea post it note. When you are done, consider carefully what you just learned about epoxy.Sent from my iPhone> On Mar 8, 2014, at 6:08 AM, "pringljo" wrote:> > > I am laying out the sides of my fuselage and realized this morning that I madean error. On the left side interior, I accidentally glued a small gusset tothe first joint behind the pilot's seat. Now I realize that I am supposed to puta long gusset that extends all the way from the joint at the base of the rearseat back to that joint. > > What do you think I should do? Should I try to sand that whole gusset off andreplace it? Does that long gusset add structural strength there? > > Seeking advice? Thanks> > --------> Joe Pringle> Atlanta, GA> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 974#419974> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: advice on how to fix an error

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> joseph.pringle(at)gmail.com
The gusset IS the strength of the joint. There is no strength in the end-grain joint without the gusset. Repair it now and be worry-free later.Lorenzo> Subject: Pietenpol-List: advice on how to fix an error
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: advice on how to fix an error

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brian Kenney
I would remove the small gusset and replace it with what is called out inthe plans. When we rebuilt our fuselage, we found that removing the oldgussets ranged from easy (which is bad because it suggests poor gluing inthe original build) to difficult. So I don't know how are this will be todo cleanly. I, too, was unaware of the hit trick. My only concern there isthat the rest of the joint may be weakened, but since the gusset really iswhat provides the strength, then this isn't that much of a concern.I'm happy to drop by and look at what you have (I don't think I live thatfar away). It's not like I'm an expert, but I have had to do similaroperations on my Piet.--Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD, FARVOAssociate Professor of OphthalmologyEmory University School of MedicineOn 3/8/14 10:18 AM, "Charles Burkholder" wrote:>>>wow. I never knew you could do that with T-88. Good to know>Charles B>On 3/8/2014 9:35 AM, glenschweizer(at)yahoo.com wrote:>>>> Hi Joe>> What kind of glue did you use? If t-88 then you're in luck. Simply>>heat the gusset with your covering iron. When it's too hot to touch , it>>will peel off like a post it note.>> When you are done, consider carefully what you just learned about epoxy.>> Sent from my iPhone>>>>> On Mar 8, 2014, at 6:08 AM, "pringljo" >>>wrote:>>>>>>>>>>>> I am laying out the sides of my fuselage and realized this morning>>>that I made an error. On the left side interior, I accidentally glued a>>>small gusset to the first joint behind the pilot's seat. Now I realize>>>that I am supposed to put a long gusset that extends all the way from>>>the joint at the base of the rear seat back to that joint.>>>>>> What do you think I should do? Should I try to sand that whole gusset>>>off and replace it? Does that long gusset add structural strength there?>>>>>> Seeking advice? Thanks>>>>>> -------->>> Joe Pringle>>> Atlanta, GA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Read this topic online here:>>>>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use ofthe intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privilegedinformation. If the reader of this message is not the intendedrecipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distributionor copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictlyprohibited.If you have received this message in error, please contactthe sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of theoriginal message (including attachments).________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: advice on how to fix an error

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "pringljo"
Guess what my Piet did today? It actually got to fly!!!It's been two months since I squeezed in a flight between the weather. 58degrees and sunny with a tiny crosswind. Had patrolled the front for thirtyminutes but the skies were clear of the Hun so returned to base and made twopretty nice landings on the asphalt.It was a good day.Keep building!!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: advice on how to fix an error
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Charles Burkholder
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> m>> > I am laying out the sides of my fuselage and realized this morning that I made an error. On the left side interior=2C I accidentally glued a small gusset to the first joint behind the pilot's seat. Now I realize that I am supposed to put a long gusset that extends all the way from the joint at the base of the rear seat back to that joint. > > What do you think I should do? Should I try to sand that whole gusset off and replace it? Does that long gusset add structural strength there? > > Seeking advice? Thanks> > --------> Joe Pringle> Atlanta=2C GA> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 974#419974> > > > > > > ============================================> > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 10:18:24 -0500