Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Fuselage Width....Curmudeon/purist alert...scramble

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Fuselage Width....Curmudeon/purist alert...scramble

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Kevin, here is one of my favorite moments with Doc:At Oshkosh 10 or 12 years ago, we are trying to drive in through the inner gate,but we don't have the right pass. Doc is at the wheel of his old Taurus wagon,and he tells me this will not be a problem.As we are in line, Doc explains that getting past the guards is a complex equationof speed, proximity and the right wave. You must drive in fast enough theywill not stop you, but not so fast to alarm them; you must drive close enoughto them that they are more concerned about taking a step back than getting alook for your pass; and you have to wave just so, so they feel socially obligatedto return it, but you don't make solid eye contact. Each of these must beadjusted for the individual guards on hand taking in to account their age andfitness, the time of day, weather, angle of the sun, etc. With our particular point of entry the magic combination was about 12mph and 16inches to the guard. Doc waved just so, and the woman awkwardly waved as shewas stepping back, The two other guards waved as if some VIP they should haveknown just drove past. Doc looked straight ahead and we drove right in.When we were clear by 50 yards, Doc looked over at me with a smile and said justlike Alec Guinness, "These aren't the droids your looking for." -wwRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 07:18:19 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Fuselage Width....Curmudeon/purist alert...scrambleto fill