Pietenpol-List: W&B Spreadsheet (was CG vs Wheel Location..emergency situation)

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: W&B Spreadsheet (was CG vs Wheel Location..emergency situation)

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Pieters,If I can get a couple of hours, I will post the Excel spreadsheet that Imade for calculating W&B on my Pietenpol. I'll need to modify it so thateach builder can input the "constants" of their airplane (Fuselage length,wing position, etc), but once it is ready, people will be able to just plugin their data and calculate the CG easily, as well as see the effects ofpassenger weight, pilot weight, baggage compartment loading (if any) andfuel burn.William Wynne and I have had a few emails discussing such. As Gary Boothesaid, William is raising good points and taking a lot of flak for it. Every pilot is supposed to know how to calculate weight & balance, and howto use the W&B envelope provided with any certificated airplane to determinewhether or not their situation is inside the envelope. In my experience asan instructor, few remember how (if they ever knew once they passed theirprivate pilot checkride). It is one of the things I do whenever I give aBiennial Flight Review (BFR) - I tell the pilot we are going to take hisairplane, load the two of us, two friends of 210 and 165 lbs, and 100 lbs ofluggage on a 600 mile trip in the winter (heavier clothes) and ask him howmany fuel stops we'll need to make. If he doesn't start with the W&Benvelope we spend quite a bit of time on that before we ever get in theairplane.There are a lot of people now building Pietenpols that are not yet licensedpilots, and have never had to develop proficiency in determining weight &balance, nor do they necessarily understand why it is so critical. Anairplane with a center of gravity too far aft is simply uncontrollable, nomatter how skilled the pilot. You older hands (particularly those withflying Pietenpols) don't need this information as much, but it never hurtsto review it.I'll try to get that spreadsheet done in the next day or two. Of course,then I'll have to figure out how to post a spreadsheet on Matronics, or somekind of dropbox where people can download it.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----