Pietenpol-List: Ben C. smoke system questions

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Ben C. smoke system questions

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Doug
Hi Ben---The smoke system is a complete blast and I think if you install it you'll have great fun with it. Below is a write-up that Chris Tracywas kind enough to post under my heading in his Westcoast Piet web site and then below that is a screen capture of some more detailsabout my smoke system that I posted on FB yesterday in the Pietenpol group. I hope this helps!!!Mike C.Don & Group,Yes, the smoke setup I have is still as per original idea and is aboutas simple and reliable as you can get. I use a 2 quartpoly pump-up bug sprayer from the Wal Mart garden department, hacksawoff the plastic handle, remove the spray wand anddiscard and adapt 1/4" plastic airspeed tubing to the sprayer nozzlewith rubber hose and either tye-wraps and or hose clamps.The 1/4" poly line is connected to a 1/4" copper, stainless, or aluminumtube which connects to a fitting (mine is a Swaglok fitting)that you weld into one of your aft exhaust pipes (they run hotter thanthe fronts on 65 Continentals) about 1-2" down from the flange.On the ID of the fitting that is welded to the exhaust pipe you drilltwo No. 60 drill bit holes in your exhaust pipe wall and whala, youhave a smoke system. (I suppose you could drill one hole with thesame equivalent area but have not tried that)Might want to put a vibration loop or two in your metal tubing from thefirewall to your exhaust stack to dampen the stresses andstrain on the tube so your metal doesn't fatigue.The smoke oil I use is Texaco Canopus No. 13 which is basically amineral oil. They used to call it Corvus oil.Every other year the Thunderbirds park at our NASA hangar when they arein town and I salivate beyond measure when I go up thereand see beyond the cyclone fence about a dozen 55 gallon drums of thesmoke oil ready for the Thunderbirds to use in our airshow.Mike C.[cid:image001.jpg(at)01CFACCC.4490CD40]________________________________________________________________________________