Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer LinesCc:>> Hi Guys, >> I managed to get the A65 to run for the first time after the rebuild on > Saturday but after exhausting my energy I think a primer is called for. >> Where do you run the lines, to the spider or to each cylinder? >> Will in make much difference or should I just continue to use arm power to > pull through the prop a few times? >> Thanks >> Peter > Wonthaggi Australia > http://repiet.cpc-world.com >>Ex________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Peter Johnson
Sent from my iPhone________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 18:06:45 +1100Subject: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines
matronics

Fwd: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Paxton
Subject: Fwd: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Matt Paxton
Peter,I have a primer on my A65, plumbed exactly as Matt describes. I don't use it muchin the summer, but in the winter, after the plane has sat for several weeksand is cold, it makes all the difference in the world.Different engines seem to have different personalities. I know some who use theirprimer every time they start the engine, and other who like me, don't seemto need it unless the weather is cold. The C-145 Continental in my Cessna 170needs priming anytime I start it unless it has run within an hour or so.I used to have an RV-4 with an O-320 Lycoming in it. It had no primer and wasa real bear to start if the temperature was below freezing. Many is the timeI ran the battery dead trying to start that airplane in cold weather.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines

Post by matronics »

Steve;I'm glad to see that you've put things in proper perspective by recognizing thatyour fuel situation may require some adjustment, but you may be able to putoff the adjustment until after you've begun test flights. Just don't get complacent...recognize the fuel system's possible limitations and respect those.Keep the fuel topped off or at least within the upper 3/4 of the tank until you'recomfortable flying it in all regimes. Go through any list of experimentalaircraft accidents and incidents and fuel problems will be in the top coupleof causes. Read and heed.What I would probably do after that is fly the airplane in the pattern on a niceday, practicing takeoffs and landings to improve my skill and comfort at thecontrols as the fuel level got down into the bottom part of the tank. The restis just my personal testing regime and is based on my comfort level with myplane, at my home field, under controlled conditions. There is no need to flyan actual dead-stick landing when you can simulate flying out of the very lastof the tank by putting the tailwheel in a ditch and elevating the nose as yourun the engine at a fast idle till it's starved of fuel and sputters to a halt.At that point you can determine how much of your fuel is actually unusableand how much is marginal, and go from there.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 18:23:53 +1100Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Peter,I used the spray fitting with a copper tube. Be sure to bend a loop in thetubing to allow the tube to flex as the engine moves on its mounts.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: woodflier
I'm probably going to catch some flak for this, especially since my airplane doesnot have a primer, but there is a very inexpensive one available through GreatPlains, here:http://www.greatplainsas.com/scfuel.htmlThe ones from Aircraft Spruce and other aircraft supply houses are typically muchmore expensive.What I don't like about the Great Plains primer is that it uses push-on tubingover barbed nipples, without any real fittings. And all of this goes in yourcockpit (unless you do like some of the Model A setups and install the primerup front).--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:52:49 -0500
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines

Post by matronics »

>Subject: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>Cc:>>> --> >>>> Hi Guys,>>>> I managed to get the A65 to run for the first time after the rebuild>> on Saturday but after exhausting my energy I think a primer is called>>for.>>>> Where do you run the lines, to the spider or to each cylinder?>>>> Will in make much difference or should I just continue to use arm>> power to pull through the prop a few times?>>>> Thanks>>>> Peter>> Wonthaggi Australia>> http://repiet.cpc-world.com>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ex>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 21:28:00 +1100Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines
matronics

>> Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
>>Subject: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines>>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>>Cc:>>>>> --> >>>>>> Hi Guys,>>>>>> I managed to get the A65 to run for the first time after the rebuild>>> on Saturday but after exhausting my energy I think a primer is called>>>for.>>>>>> Where do you run the lines, to the spider or to each cylinder?>>>>>> Will in make much difference or should I just continue to use arm>>> power to pull through the prop a few times?>>>>>> Thanks>>>>>> Peter>>> Wonthaggi Australia>>> http://repiet.cpc-world.com>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ex>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: A65 Primer Lines

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
>>Subject: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines>>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>>Cc:>>>>> --> >>>>>> Hi Guys,>>>>>> I managed to get the A65 to run for the first time after the rebuild >>>on Saturday but after exhausting my energy I think a primer is called >>>for.>>>>>> Where do you run the lines, to the spider or to each cylinder?>>>>>> Will in make much difference or should I just continue to use arm >>> power to pull through the prop a few times?>>>>>> Thanks>>>>>> Peter>>> Wonthaggi Australia>>> http://repiet.cpc-world.com>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ex>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: A65 Primer Lines
matronics

>> Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-LME0)[Vantage Partners, LLC]"
>>Subject: Pietenpol-List: A65 Primer Lines>>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>>Cc:>>>>> --> >>>>>> Hi Guys,>>>>>> I managed to get the A65 to run for the first time after the rebuild>>> on Saturday but after exhausting my energy I think a primer is called>>>for.>>>>>> Where do you run the lines, to the spider or to each cylinder?>>>>>> Will in make much difference or should I just continue to use arm>>> power to pull through the prop a few times?>>>>>> Thanks>>>>>> Peter>>> Wonthaggi Australia>>> http://repiet.cpc-world.com>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ex>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________