Pietenpol-List: ANYONE Need A Ride

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: ANYONE Need A Ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tonyp51qa"
Hi all, I would like to think that our local EAA chapter is more supportive than some of the others mentioned. We are currently helping one of our members finish his model-A powered Piet. The chapter also has a GN-1 project that we are working on. Planning on a Corvair engine for that one. At 55, I am the third youngest in the chapter. I feel fortunate that our members are very willing to share their expertise with the other members. Our chapter feels the effects of not having younger members. I think that it is a combination of factors: 1. It is typically the older folks that will have more disposable income to spend on aviation. 2. I feel that many of the younger generation( I know I shouldn't generalize), enjoy the instant gratification of video games and the like. Case in point, I am a light sport flight instructor with a Rans s-12 and told my 2 sons and one nephew that I would work with them to get their light sport license and all they had to do was buy gas(premium unleaded auto gas). None of the 3 have pursued this aside from a few hours. Not going to force the issue. I will go back to lurking again. Sincerely John WeberSent from my iPad> On Jun 2, 2015, at 8:18 PM, David wrote:> > Hi Douwe,> > First of all, define "young" - maybe I qualify? Maybe not :)> > As a 'future' builder who has the plans, I have not the time, money, or energy to actually start building. Arguably these are just 'excuses, excuses' but I work long hours, for a good salary, and still manage to live paycheck to paycheck. I am paying a mortgage that is frankly obscene and have a $14,000 deductible on my family's health insurance. You read that right - 14 thousand!> > Please don't think I am complaining, becasue I am not. I have a job, have good health, and have a home. I know many folks aren't so fortunate. I am sure there are MANY folks out there who would love to build a Piet but in the current economic climate, it just isn't going to happen. Once my kids are grown and the mortgage is manageable, either through inflation or downsizing/relocation, then maybe it might happen. The health insurance thing is an ongoing issue though. I don't expect that to improve any time soon. I earn too much to qualify for any "Affordable Health Care Act" subsidies, but not enough to afford decent health insurance. > > Putting it into perspective, when the 'true' unemployment rate is nearer 20% and 50+ million Americans are on food stamps, the pool of people available to build their own plane is not as large as it might have been in better times.> > Anyway - I gotta get back to work :)> > Dave> >> On 06/02/2015 03:46 PM, Douwe Blumberg wrote:>> Hey all,>> >> During a recent long drive I got to thinking about the future of the Pietenpol =9Cmarque=9D with some concern. I then looked through all my newsletter back issues and realized just how many of our currently flying fleet were began in the late eighties and early nineties.>> >> It got me to thinking, =9Cwhat was happening during those years that stimulated so much interest and building that isn=99t happening now?=9D. Maybe I=99m wrong, but Just think of all the projects started around then and it is quite remarkable. I=99d love other=99s input, especially those who got into it then, but I came to two different possibilities.>> >> 1. There was a strong and active Pietenpol club that really helped generate interest in the plane>> 2. People had more expendable resources and weren=99t lured away from a =9Cplans built plane=9D by =9Cquick-build/snap together=9D kits.>> 3. All of the above?>> >> I look around at Brodhead, and the projects being worked on and ask myself, =9Cwhere are the young people building=9D and with a few exceptions, there aren=99t many. As always, the loss of the next generation bodes ill for the future if we can=99t change things. Which led me to my next question (s)>> >> 1. What can we do corporately and individually to increase =9CPietenpol awareness=9D in the homebuilding community?>> >> >> Thoughts?>> >> Douwe> > > ============================================================================================================================================> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: ANYONE Need A Ride