Wanted: VW "Bug" Engine

For Sale and Wanted ads for Pietenpol related items may be posted here. Please remember to manage your ads when your items are sold.
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Wanted: VW "Bug" Engine

Post by Pat Weeden »

Received in the mail at BPA corporate offices:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Wanted: VW "Bug" Engine ready to fly. I have the prop and vortex mag. Prefer a 1,600 cc. Would consider larger VW engine. Would consider any VW engine.

Thanks
Kyle Bradford
Eaton Rapids, MI
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

PM the board admin for Kyle's full contact info.
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
tom kreiner

Re: Wanted: VW "Bug" Engine

Post by tom kreiner »

Kyle,

How soon do you need the engine? I have a 1600 dual port engine in need of a rebuild, and it's the one you want as it is has Fuel Injected cylinder heads. In case you don't know, the FI engine had the 8mm ex valve stems, to prevent breakage when extreme temps occurred. When considering an engine to rebuild, this is the only one that makes sense. (Its the same engine sold at OSH for around $2800. rebuilt.)

Other than the heads, I'd suggest you locate a Scat counterbalanced crankshaft, as it will run significantly smoother and last longer than the original crankshaft.

The engine is not rebuilt at this time; it's a core -- if you want it rebuilt, I can do that, as well.

Since we have a cabin near Reed City, MI, I could bring said engine with me the next time I come up.... or ship it, if you need it sooner.

Let me know, or call me at 832-326-2970. Please leave message if I don't pick up, as I'm frequently in a steel building where I don't get signal.

Tom Kreiner