Pietenpol-List: Re: sealer

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: sealer

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
>As a precaution, I, too, had used a sloshing sealer, a Randolph product at>the time, in both wing and fuselage tanks; it worked well for about a year.>But repeated use of auto fuel caused it to turn into a molasses-like gel>which blocked everything and was very difficult to clean out. I have since>removed the sealer, everything works fine with much less worry.>>Jim Malley> Jim is right on. I checked-out these sealers avail. thru AC Spruce and Wicks and both advise against using any fuel w/ alcohol when using this sealer. It is Randolph no. 802 cost: $14/qt. They also advertise a alcohol-resistant sealer no. 912 for $15/qt which is ' recommended as a superior product to no. 802.' The mil spec. they call out for Randolph 802 is MIL-L-6047. The product I used is Fuller O'Brien Technical Coatings 8509, zinc chromate fuel tank sloshing compound, Spec. AC-359 AM1. I will have to do a test on this stuff now in case I have to use a fuel which may contain alcohol. Good- we learned something ! Mike C. >>________________________________________________________________________________