Pietenpol-List: Ideas ?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Ideas ?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: grhans(at)freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mike,The only extra bracing I used was on the end ribs, so the fabric dosen't pull them in when it shrinks. What kind on hinges are you using on your alerons?Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Ideas ?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Craig- Don't know about you, but the ski flying here has been zilch.I like to downhill ski once or twice a year, but have not even been able to do that. Let me pick your Piet knowledge for a minute: Would you rein-force any area on the wing before shrinking fabric if you had it to doover again ? Any areas bow-in or move around on you more thanyou would have liked ?I faired-in my 1/16" leading edge plywood sheathing last night andnow just down to hinging the aileron and final bracing everywhere.Did you ever get tired of cleaning T-88 epoxy off you hands ??Your tape is in the hands of the US Postal Service !!!See you , Mike Cuy, Cleveland, OH________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kenneth Bickers
>>Did you ever get tired of cleaning T-88 epoxy off you hands ??>>Mike,Try washing with vinegar. Also, a good way to clean tools. Just soak invinegar and water and wipe off. It really works!Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Craig R. Lawler"
Mike, In the short run, getting some epoxy on your hands is probably no bigdeal. Over the long (or even medium) term, you will begin to build up anallergic reaction to it. What I have done is to pick up a box of a couplehundred rubber, surgical type gloves at the local Sam's club. Then I justput on a fresh pair whenever I'm working with epoxy. Clean up is simple:remove one, throw in trash, remove the other, throw in trash. It's faster,safer, and probably no more expensive than having to buy lots of vinegar orother solvents to clean up the mess on your hands.KenAt 08:18 AM 2/4/97 EWT, you wrote:>>>>Did you ever get tired of cleaning T-88 epoxy off you hands ??>>>>>Mike,> >Try washing with vinegar. Also, a good way to clean tools. Just soak in>vinegar and water and wipe off. It really works!> >Ted Brousseau/APF>nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net>Sunny SW Florida> >>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Mike,The only part of the wing that has, in my experience, caused dis-tortion problems due to fabric tension is at the root rib of each panel. This, of course, applies only to the 3-piece setup; in theoriginal one-piece wing, no such problem would be encountered.Different people use different strategies to overcome this problem.I used extra braces from various points along the root rib to thewing spars, with only partial success. If I were to do it again,I would use 1/16 inch plywood strips about 3 inches or so wide gluedto the capstrips, top an bottom. A 1/4 inch square strip followingthe curve of the capstrips is then glued along the unsupported edgeof this plywood to stabilize it. I have seen this done on other a/cand have wished I had done it myself because it seems to work welland doesn't weigh much.Let me know how you make out on this.Graham________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
>Mike,>>The only extra bracing I used was on the end ribs, so the fabric >dosen't pull them in when it shrinks. What kind on hinges are you >using on your alerons?>Craig- I have two six foot aluminum aircraft piano hinges that will serve as the hinge and gap seal. Another builder did that up hereon a Scout and it looked pretty slick. Mike C.>Craig>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Thanks to all who helped me with wing reinforcement ideas and howto get/keep the glue off my hands !(PS- I don't think any of my tools will ever rust again with the nicecoating of T-88 they all have !!) Mike C. , Clev. OH________________________________________________________________________________