Pietenpol-List: Re: Skis

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Craig R. Lawler"
Graham,Thanks, I found some drawings from EAA and have the FAA pub on rigging. Mike Cuy also sent me sum good stuff. He has a neat VCR tape of a Piet on skis too. We haven't had any snow to speak of here anyway. I'd like to be ready for next year though.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: grhans(at)freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Craig,No, I don't have any photos of the skis I have been using in recenttimes. Used Federal A1500 skis years ago with good results. Then a pair of home made skis, patterned after water skis, also worked very well in spite of being a bit heavy; they were made of 3/4 inch oak ten inches wide and about five feet long. The curve was made by soaking them in boiling water and drying in a form for about a week. Riggingwas according to standard aircraft practice.Currently I have an old set of Federal SC-1 skis rigged for my Pietand they are OK also. Because of their greater supporting area, theoak skis were better in deep or soft snow than the Federals. However,they needed to have Teflon bottoms in order to make them slide moreeasily. I never installed the Teflon because they developed somecracks and were withdrawn from service. As a result, I would suggestthat ski wood be laminated rather than in one piece.There are lots of solutions to the ski thing and the Pietenpol is a great little skiplane with its low takeoff and landing speeds. Theonly problem is that the heater doesn't work worth a darn!Graham________________________________________________________________________________