Pietenpol-List: Testing for life

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Testing for life

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: grhans(at)freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
> Anyone out there?Howdy! I'm here, we'll see if this gets to the list...Cheers, -Steve________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Testing for life

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Pugh
Anyone out there?Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
Graham,Have you got some photos of your skis?Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Susanne Starkey
Still here, but not doing much flying. Too much snow and I don't want tobother with skis.GrahamOn Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Steve Eldredge wrote:> Anyone out there?> > Stevee> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gerard "Larry" Huber"
Steve Eldredge wrote:> > Anyone out there?> > SteveeA few lurkers out here. :) Have been a Pietenpol fan for many years.Somewhere I have a set of plans from Bernie that he sent me about 20years ago. But I'm up to my eyballs in my Stinson 108 restorationproject, and the Piet is one of those "Maybe someday" projects. Glad tosee you're working to keep this discussion going, though. Take care. JTB-- John T. BakerSusanne B. Starkey25904 Reva DriveDamascus, MD 20872e-mail: sstarkey(at)erols.comStinson 108-3, NC6197M________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gerard "Larry" Huber"
Steve Eldredge wrote:> > Anyone out there?> > SteveeGlad to see some traffic from my favorite news list. Sorry to say myproject is waiting for me while I work away in cyberspace.I did buy an underway antique project a few months back, if anyonerecalls my question about the Piet with a Franklin hanging on it. Anywaythere was excellent work done on the Fuselage but it appears to be theshort length fuselage that someone decided to make 2 inches shorter fromthe back of the rear pit to the firewall. I plan to remove the coveringas it was the old heavy Stits fabric with an automotive enamel finishthat was applied about 10-12 years ago and is now cracking. I want touse the newer lighter process - this way I can get a good look at theunderlying structure at the back etc.Also the wings consist of ribs on spars (solid with no routing per plan)there is no TE or LE. The problem I see is there are ply gussets fromthe main spar to LE on almost all the ribs (both side in some cases).This adds weight and may also be hiding other problems with the way theribs were built. I was thinking I may want to remove the ribs, clean upthe spars and route them according to plan etc. then build a new set ofribs. Any thoughts along these lines?This group has always inspired me to move along as does the Grant's BPAnewsletter. This has been a long winter and I guess I need another shotof encouragement again.Larry* E-Mail glhuber(at)mail.wiscnet.net Procurement Services Div. *________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Steve Eldredge
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net (Ernest Hagness)
Steve Eldredge wrote:> > Anyone out there?> > SteveeSteve, got your message --testing for life. Still alive in portland,TEXAS '' Ernie Hagness ehagness @mail.interconnect.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Steve Eldredge wrote:> > Anyone out there?> > SteveeSteve. I recently purchased two pair of goggles from j c whitney,chicagoIl. They loof like WW2 japanese goggles and are made in korea. I wasreal pleased with the style and quality as well as the price of $29.95.They fit very well over my prescription glasses and are very comfortableand do not fog up . The very best deal I ever got on goggles. Alsopicked up a portable multi-volt rechargeable power pack , can be chargedwith 110 volts or 12 volts from Damark at 1-800-729-900 for only $19.99and shipped free. I run my intercom. Icom A-22 and GPS from this . Its agood primary supply or back up and saves a lot on battery costs. I likedit so well I bought 2. Still looking for someone that has a plan for the3 side suare wind screens or a source to purchase them Would appreciateany response. Also I lost my notes on gap seals when my pc crashed,would slso appreciate input on this subject. Ernie Hagness 2337 WillowDr. Portland, Texas 78374 ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dick Dery
>Anyone out there?>>Stevee>>You must have ESP. I was just thinking the same thing today as I was flyingmy daily "Sun down" flight. I was wondering if the lack of messages wascaused by the fact that the rest of the world is frozen in. We completed our annual and found one valve leaking. The engine runs alittle smoother and I am hoping to clear the pine trees at the end of therunway that are sure to have grown a foot by this summer.Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
>Anyone out there?>>Yeah, I'm here, and I've got a question(well ok, 2 questions). Where can I find the 1.0 11/32 high tensile capscrews used to attach theprop hub to the Corvair engine?2nd question: If tthe 1.0 11/32 capscrews aren't available, what can I useas a substitute?>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
>>Got a question though. For a clockwise (normal) rotating prop, how much do>you offset the vertical stab and which direction? If you stand behind the>beast and look forward, is the leading edge of the vertical stab displaced>right? Or left?Ian- Go to the left looking from behind. This gives you a little constant'right rudder' rather than cramping up your right leg. The other adjust-ment possible is to offset your motor mount, mount fittings, or addwashers between the motor mount and motor (Cont. type) on the left side looking from behind the plane. Mike C. Ohio________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: grhans(at)freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
I left my virtical sab. straight and used a trim tab on the rudder. If I had it to do over I would have moved the front to the left about a 1/2".Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Ernie,I used RC Monocoat for my gap seals. Any hobby shop should have an assortment of colors. It's tougher than the recomened scotch tap works great. I even found a color that matched. Used fabric cement and just glued them up under the alerons.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Ian Holland wrote:Got a question though. For a clockwise (normal) rotating prop, how mu=chdo you offset the vertical stab and which direction? If you stand behind the beast and look forward, is the leading edge of the vertical stab displaced right? Or left?Mike's advise of moving the fin to the left is correct, I have heardthat about 1/2" measured at the front of the fin is somewhere in theneighborhood. I=A0have refrained from permanently setting mine until= thefinal assembly.Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Craig R. Lawler"
Ted,You are close to the truth when you were "wondering if the rest of theworld had frozen in". I cannot detect any sign of global warming yet,and am beginning to wonder about the validity of the concept. February,however, wasn't too bad and I managed to do a bit of flying...but notin the Pietenpol (it wasn't THAT warm!).GrahamOn Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Ted Brousseau wrote:> >Anyone out there?> >> >Stevee> >> >> You must have ESP. I was just thinking the same thing today as I was flying> my daily "Sun down" flight. I was wondering if the lack of messages was> caused by the fact that the rest of the world is frozen in. > > We completed our annual and found one valve leaking. The engine runs a> little smoother and I am hoping to clear the pine trees at the end of the> runway that are sure to have grown a foot by this summer.> > Ted Brousseau/APF> nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net> Sunny SW Florida> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Richard Winkel
Craig R. Lawler wrote:> > Ernie,> > I used RC Monocoat for my gap seals. Any hobby shop should have an> assortment of colors. It's tougher than the recomened scotch tap> works great. I even found a color that matched. Used fabric cement> and just glued them up under the alerons.> > CraigThanks Craig. I will check out the hobbie shops in corpus christi to seeif i can locate some . By the way does it come in different weights orthiskness or does one size fit all?. Ernie Hagness________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shall(at)mail.vt.edu (F.Spencer Hall)
Steve Eldredge wrote:> > Anyone out there?> > SteveeYes, been real quiet lately. Hasn't it?I have an extended fuselage coming along nicely. My shop has been too cold to do much gluing this winter. With the current easing of the cold weather, I'm just starting to make progress again.The following is cut from a message I sent to Mike Brusilow before Christmas. Got no reply... maybe someone else can help:Wow, it only took me five months to put the pieces together. Here'show it went...At Brodhead last summer I found one Air Camper with proportions thatsomehow looked "just right". Took several photos. That was Mr.Sam.Issue 54 of the BPA newsletter just arrived. There on page 5 was MikeBrusilow's Air Camper, and looks like it says Mr.Sam on the side!photo of Mike Brusilow and brought up the photo. Looks like Mr.Sam in aslightly early rendition. Decided to send E-mail to you(Mike) toinquire...and found the E-mail address is N687MB. Hmmm, back to my originalphotos and there on the tail is N687MB. All that to say I have several questions about Mr.Sam!1. What wheels and tires are those? Are they up around the 19x9 sizerecommended on the Air Camper plan set? 2. Are you pleased with the performance of this diameter tire?3. I think I see a brake line in one of my photos. Do you use brakes,and are you pleased with them?4. I've seen a fair amount of discussion regarding location of thewheels. I can sum it up, as best I recall, like this: a) the originalplans show a location satisfactory for use without brakes, b) theimproved (or later) Air Camper was built with the wheels moved ahead 7"and proved too far forward even with brakes, and c) I believe I haveseen recommendation that the wheel be located 3-4 inches ahead of theoriginal location when used with brakes. Do you know where your wheellocation is within this range? And do you feel the location is aboutright?5. My plans show the pilot and passenger "Cowl Supports" sitting 9"above the upper longerons. Does Mr.Sam keep this dimension over thefront end, or is the forward Cowl Support lowered to give a bit moretapered profile to the nose?Regards,Dick Winkel________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Ernest Hagness wrote: Craig R. Lawler wrote: > > Ernie, > > I used RC Monocoat for my gap seals. Any hobby shop should have a=n > assortment of colors. It's tougher than the recomened scotch tap > works great. I even found a color that matched. Used fabric cemen=t > and just glued them up under the alerons. > > Craig Thanks Craig. I will check out the hobbie shops in corpus christi t=o see if i can locate some . By the way does it come in different weights or thiskness or does one size fit all?. Ernie Hagness Steve here. I have been building models for the past 15 years andMonoKote comes in about 50 colors, but only one thickness. It is thi=ntough and light. It does brittle in cold weather and will shatter insome cases. (ie high speed impact while attached to a modelairplane--something about which I=A0have only *heard* about :)) reme=mberto remove the plastic backing before appilication. There is also man=ythin fabric coverings for aircraft that also come in colors that migh=tmatch you paint. I have used these with success covering as well.Steve e.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Ernie,I think it's all the same.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Testing for life

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net (Ernest Hagness)
> > Anyone out there?> > Stevee>Yep! Not much computing, but a whole lot of building going on! Got 14 ribsmade, the tail feathers and half a fuselage laid out. Finally made thedecision to use aerolite glue and am real happy with it.Got a question though. For a clockwise (normal) rotating prop, how much doyou offset the vertical stab and which direction? If you stand behind thebeast and look forward, is the leading edge of the vertical stab displacedright? Or left?Had abusiness trip down to Atlanta and Augusta last week. Nice flyingweather compared to North western Ontario.There is a slight revision to the air regs up here where you have to do 5take offs and landings within 60 days to carry passengers. Heck, i know ago who qualifies every landing.________________________________________________________________________________