Pietenpol-List: Re: Cork and wire fuel gauge in wing center section.

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Cork and wire fuel gauge in wing center section.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Steve Eldredge,Further to my message regarding the fuel quantity gauge I installedin a wing tank many years ago, but never used:The gauge need not be installed in the filler cap and may be locatedwhere it will not interfere with the passenger in the front cockpit.A possibility with this in mind would be the side opposite from that used to enter or exit the front 'pit, being placed as much forward aspossible to get decent readings (i.e. not at the deepest part of the tank, but as close to it as is feasible).In this scenario two tubes, a couple of inches (or less) apart runvertically through the tank; one right through to project outsideon top and bottom and the other through the top only. If the latteris of a sufficient diameter to allow the float to pass through it,it could be threaded for a removable cap through which the float wirewould pass. The wire would be bent into a "U" at a point which wouldallow sufficient travel, and run back down through the first-mentionedtube to project from the underside of the wing (this tube could be of asmaller diameter with a clear plastic sleeve having fuel quantity markings on it. NOTE: This part could be placed OUTSIDE the tank edgewhich would place it even further away from the passenger's head (i.e.outside the center section altogether), eliminating the making of twoholes through the tank top and bottom and welding a tube in place. Since a vent would be incorporated in this system, the fuel filler capneed not be vented.I hope you can picture this idea (which is all it really is) from theforegoing description; a picture would be much better, but my antiquatedcomputer will not hack graphics. Cheers,Graham________________________________________________________________________________