Pietenpol-List: [Fwd: Add Me to Chat]

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: [Fwd: Add Me to Chat]

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Alan Laudani
by yvax.byu.edu (PMDF V5.1-8 #16477) with ESMTP id for steve_eldredge(at)byu.edu; (max-rb-49.connectnet.com [204.252.1.49]) by smtp.connectnet.com (8.8.5/Connectnet-2.2) with SMTP id LAA10071 forDate: Sun, 25 May 1997 12:02:37 -0700________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: [Fwd: Add Me to Chat]

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Alan Laudani
Among other things, Alan Laudani wrote:> I am in the market for the Generator (alternator?) plus Vacuum Pump> to accessorize my Continental.Well, okay, I can see a generator, sort of, though hand-propping my Coltwhen the electrical system was out never bothered me. But why on Earthwould you hang a vacuum pump on a Piet? Just curious.Incidentally, can you even put accessories on a C75? I always thoughttheC85-12 was the first Continental that would take something like a vacuumpump.Owen Davies________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: [Fwd: Add Me to Chat]

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Owen Davies
I had hoped to install a vacuum directional Gyro and artificial Horizonwhich may help keep things rightside up if clouds come my way. Thegenerator will keep a battery charged for position, landing andanti-collision lights, VOR & GPS navigation, communication, intercom andmode C transponder. I hope to use my Piet for more than Sunday flyingand intend to prop start only. I have an accessory case that would mountthe generator, but I still need the gear to drive it. I had heard thereis a combined generator/vacuum pump that drives off this gear, but as Iam not fully Continental Conversant, I am looking for advice. Ifnecessary, I could mount a propeller driven generator between the gearlegs and install the usual venturi to drive the gyros. This would besimple but draggy.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: [Fwd: Add Me to Chat]

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Alan Laudani wrote:>> I had hoped to install a vacuum directional Gyro and artificial Horizon whichmay help keep things rightside up if clouds come my way. The generator willkeep a battery charged for position, landing and anti-collision lights, VOR &GPS navigation, communication, intercom and mode C transponder. I hope to usemy Piet for more than Sunday flying and intend to prop start only. I have anaccessory case that would mount the generator, but I still need the gear to driveit. I had heard there is a combinedOkay. Fair enough, I guess. Though if you are looking for a seriouscross-country plane, which is what it sounds like, I have to wonderwhether you are asking the Piet for more than it was designed to give. And it's definitely the first time I've ever heard anyone worry aboutadding a little drag to a Pietenpol! 8-)Best of luck with it.Owen________________________________________________________________________________