Pietenpol-List: Alternative coverings

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Alternative coverings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dswagler(at)cobkf.ang.af.mil
Still looking for alternative coverings. I am going to do someexperimentation on my own with what I know about latex acrilic paints.Fuel resistance is about my only concern at this point.Steve E.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: re: Alternative coverings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge , on 6/6/97 12:35 PM:
Steve,How do you plan on providing UV protection?Dave-------------Original Text________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Alternative coverings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Emelita W
I think I missed the start of this thread but...If you are looking for paint to use over Dacron - assuming it is throughsilver then the toughest is probably Stits Aerothane (a polyurethane).I have this on my Tri-Pacer and it tough stuff. It is virtually fuelproof,and more resistant to lacquer thinner, acetone, battery acid and MEKthan anything I have seen. the down side is that it is hard to applywell,hard to repair, and is heavy.Hope I didn't miss the topic completely.~ktmSteve Eldredge wrote:> Still looking for alternative coverings. I am going to do some> experimentation on my own with what I know about latex acrilic> paints.> Fuel resistance is about my only concern at this point.>> Steve E.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Kevin McDonald wrote:> I think I missed the start of this thread but...> If you are looking for paint to use over Dacron - assuming it is> through>> silver then the toughest is probably Stits Aerothane (a polyurethane).>> I have this on my Tri-Pacer and it tough stuff. It is virtually fuel> proof,> and more resistant to lacquer thinner, acetone, battery acid and MEK> than anything I have seen. the down side is that it is hard to apply> well,> hard to repair, and is heavy.> Hope I didn't miss the topic completely.> ~ktm>> Steve Eldredge wrote:>> > Still looking for alternative coverings. I am going to do some> > experimentation on my own with what I know about latex acrilic> > paints.>> > Fuel resistance is about my only concern at this point.>> >> > Steve E.Kevin, and all,I am trying to come up with a coating system that will eleviate thefinancial burden of having to use a STC'ed type of covering. Covering apiet with the PolyFiber system is going to cost about $2000 or so. SinceI only have about $3500 in to my whole airplane (including engine) thisis not a real tempting way to go. There have been several examples ofother painting procedures that have cost around 1-200 bucks withsatisfactory results. Craig Aho painted his piet with a foam rollerand polyurethane for about $150-- and won an award up at Arlington (Ithink.) This is the direction that I have in mind to go.Steve E.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Steve Eldredge , on 6/6/97 12:35 PM:
dswagler(at)cobkf.ang.af.mil wrote:> Steve,>> How do you plan on providing UV protection?>> Dave> -------------> Original Text