Pietenpol-List: Your cost to build.

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Your cost to build.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
I havent written anything in a while but we want to know how much itwill cost us to build using a direct drive Soob ea81 engine.Thank you and hi againEmelita W________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Your cost to build.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: D.BELLISSIMO(at)littonlsl.com (BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC)
Emelita W wrote:> I havent written anything in a while but we want to know how much it> will cost us to build using a direct drive Soob ea81 engine.>> Thank you and hi again> Emelita W $7241.34 Including freight for the instruments shipped from JCWhitney.stevee.:)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
You know, when I first started this project, I thought a lot about cost t=obuild and it concerned me somewhat whether I could pay for it etc. Theproject has now stretched to nearly five years and still going, though Iamnearing the covering stage. The cost has ended up being stretched oversuch a long period of time that it has not been as significant as expecte=d.Some things I did to control costs: Most of my lumber is lumber yardstuff. The only pieces of certificated lumber are the longerons and thespars, and those are not absolutely necessary to be certified if you canfind a lot of good lumber yard stuff. I used some 'bargain bags of spruc=e'from A/C S&S. Great lumber to cut various braces, etc. from. The wingleading edge is 1 1/4" full round douglas fir molding (stair rail).Gussets are from that Finland gl-2 birch a/c ply. The floor and sides ar=eBaltic birch marine ply. Friends have given me old instruments they were=not going to use, used turnbuckles, etc. A number of the shackles havebeen replaced with moter-sickle chain master links.The areas you are going to spend some dollar bills that you probablyhaven't thought about, especially if this is your first ship: Turnbuckle=s. I have counted up 38 turnbuckles in my ship once it is completed. Listprice is about 10 bucks a piece. Scrounge them. Come to know and love B=&BAircraft Supply. Shackles cost four to six bucks a piece list. Covering==2EI plan to use the Poly Fibre system as it appears to me to produce the be=stresults for a beginner. No matter how fine the woodwork, etc is, all mos=tpeople will see is the fabric, and dang it, I want it to look good. Thebid I have had for materials is something like 1600-1700 bucks.The up side is the way airplane prices keep climbing, I have heard of nic=eModel A Piets selling for 13000-15000 bucks. (Probably values your timebuilding at about .50/hr.) So, at least you have a nice asset whenfinished.Hope this sheds a little light on the cost subject. I haven't added mycosts up, (don't want to) but I think they are in line with Steve's. I a=musing a Model A, so think I have less than two grand in the motor.See y'all at Brodhead!John________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
John m. Greenlee wrote:> Hope this sheds a little light on the cost subject. I haven't added> my> costs up, (don't want to) but I think they are in line with Steve's.> I am> using a Model A, so think I have less than two grand in the motor.>> See y'all at Brodhead!>> John Actually my costs right now are at about $3800, including everythingbut the cowl and a new tach. My previous post was a little tounge incheek, but the joke is on me I guess. I have just finished the paintingwith latex this weekend. I am pleased with the results, but learnedplenty in the process. I post further notes on my homepage and herewhen I get time to put it all together.STevee________________________________________________________________________________