Pietenpol-List: Re: eyebrows also GPS ?'s

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Steve Eldredge wrote:> I have just finished the installation of the eyebrows on my A-65 and> now> I wonder If they are really nessary.>> I looked at some planes and some have em and some don't.>> Kevin M.,- I noticed that you are running without them. Any temp> problems? Do you have a CGT or just OT.Fried Cyinders:I do now!!! I retrofitted some J-3 eyebrows I got forfree.They required some riveting etc. but the price was right.The reason I put eyebrows on? The engine has 250 hourssince rebuild and has had 7 (yes seven) cylinders replaced.Mostly rear cylinders about every 40 - 75 hours.The Texas summer will eat up cylinders quickly if theyaren't cooled well!I do plan on replacing the nonfunctional clock with a CHT forone of the back jugs.GPS:I just got back from Alaska in the Tri-Pacer. 85 hours, 43 fuel stops10,000 miles in 10 days! We borrowed a Garmin 195 moving mapGPS - very nice unit but at $1200 kinda pricey.I especially liked the ability to skirt class B/C airspace by cruisingright outside the circle.Has anyone else used a handheld moving map unit more in the $600range? With the difficulty of map reading in the Piet I think I willneed to invest in one. I also have noticed that I fly the Piet at about300 - 500 feet instead of 1000-2000 feet in the Tri-Pacer. At thelower altitude it only takes about 30 seconds to get lost - even whenI'm flying in my well traveled area.This is off topic for the list so probably reply to me if you have aGPS pirep for me.~ktm________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Sayre, William G"
Kevin McDonald wrote:great 7 jug replaced story deleted.> I do plan on replacing the nonfunctional clock with a CHT for> one of the back jugs.>>> Has anyone else used a handheld moving map unit more in the $600> range? With the difficulty of map reading in the Piet I think I will> need to invest in one. I also have noticed that I fly the Piet at> about> 300 - 500 feet instead of 1000-2000 feet in the Tri-Pacer. At the> lower altitude it only takes about 30 seconds to get lost - even when> I'm flying in my well traveled area.>> This is off topic for the list so probably reply to me if you have a> GPS pirep for me.>> ~ktm May as well be here under the heading Pietenpol Navigation.I won't be going to Alaska, but I plan on using a GPS. I have used acouple lower ended models without the moving map. The one I will haveis the the Garmin 12XL. It has all the functionality I will ever needand more. It will store about 250 waypoints and tracks 12 satilitessimultaniously (sp). AND it runs only $249! There is also a full lineof accessories too. ( not a such great pricing however.)Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: eyebrows also GPS ?'s

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Gower
> Kevin McDonald asked - Has anyone else used a handheld moving map unitmore>in the $600range? I have a Garmin GPS 90. Currently use it in my Kitfox. It has movingmap and I use it for the same thing you mentioned...skirting Special UseAirspace. I really like it and highly recommend it. You can alsointerface it with map software for your home PC. See this URL for moreon that;http://www.delorme.com/StreetAtlasUSA/> ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: D.BELLISSIMO(at)littonlsl.com (BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC)
kevin.mcdonald(at)dev.tivoli.com> writes:>Steve Eldredge wrote:> I have just finished the installation of the eyebrows on my A-65 and now I wonder If they are really nessary. I looked at some planes and some have em and some don't. Kevin M.,- I noticed that you are running without them. Any temp problems? Do you have a CGT or just OT.Fried Cyinders:I do now!!! I retrofitted some J-3 eyebrows I got forfree.They required some riveting etc. but the price was right.The reason I put eyebrows on? The engine has 250 hourssince rebuild and has had 7 (yes seven) cylinders replaced.Mostly rear cylinders about every 40 - 75 hours.The Texas summer will eat up cylinders quickly if theyaren't cooled well!I do plan on replacing the nonfunctional clock with a CHT forone of the back jugs.GPS:I just got back from Alaska in the Tri-Pacer. 85 hours, 43 fuel stops10,000 miles in 10 days! We borrowed a Garmin 195 moving mapGPS - very nice unit but at $1200 kinda pricey.I especially liked the ability to skirt class B/C airspace by cruisingright outside the circle.Has anyone else used a handheld moving map unit more in the $600range? With the difficulty of map reading in the Piet I think I willneed to invest in one. I also have noticed that I fly the Piet at about300 - 500 feet instead of 1000-2000 feet in the Tri-Pacer. At thelower altitude it only takes about 30 seconds to get lost - even whenI'm flying in my well traveled area.This is off topic for the list so probably reply to me if you have aGPS pirep for me.~ktmBy all means get a Garmin 90 for $525.00.I got one the other day and am exstatic (sp).JimV.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Pietenpol Discussion
Contact Art Penner at: "art Penner(at)sympatico.co" , for a gps report. He has a panasonic hand held with no moving map, just co-ordinates. It was working fine for him in his C-172 untill the owners of the plane splurged and bought a moving map one.His panasonic unit was less than $300.00.Regards,Domenico Bellissimo ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kevin McDonald
Steve Eldredge wrote:> I have just finished the installation of the eyebrows on my A-65 and> now> I wonder If they are really nessary.>> I looked at some planes and some have em and some don't.>> Kevin M.,- I noticed that you are running without them. Any temp> problems? Do you have a CGT or just OT.Fried Cyinders:I do now!!! I retrofitted some J-3 eyebrows I got forfree.They required some riveting etc. but the price was right.The reason I put eyebrows on? The engine has 250 hourssince rebuild and has had 7 (yes seven) cylinders replaced.Mostly rear cylinders about every 40 - 75 hours.The Texas summer will eat up cylinders quickly if theyaren't cooled well!I do plan on replacing the nonfunctional clock with a CHT forone of the back jugs.GPS:I just got back from Alaska in the Tri-Pacer. 85 hours, 43 fuel stops10,000 miles in 10 days! We borrowed a Garmin 195 moving mapGPS - very nice unit but at $1200 kinda pricey.I especially liked the ability to skirt class B/C airspace by cruisingright outside the circle.Has anyone else used a handheld moving map unit more in the $600range? With the difficulty of map reading in the Piet I think I willneed to invest in one. I also have noticed that I fly the Piet at about300 - 500 feet instead of 1000-2000 feet in the Tri-Pacer. At thelower altitude it only takes about 30 seconds to get lost - even whenI'm flying in my well traveled area.This is off topic for the list so probably reply to me if you have aGPS pirep for me.~ktm ------ Message Header Follows ------ (PostalUnion/SMTP(tm) v2.1.8d for Windows NT(tm))1997 20:10:45 UT by yvax.byu.edu (PMDF V5.1-8 #23832) with ESMTP id forDate: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 13:41:32 -0500________________________________________________________________________________