Pietenpol-List: Re: Osh to Brod and question about Model A

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
If I can expect to get a Piet ride, a 3 hour side trip to Brodhead on Saturdaywould certainly be worth it.And now a Model A question:Has anybody ever tried to modify the aluminum Model A head fora second spark plug? Possibly by boring a hole through a waterjacket and tig welding a sleeve in the hole which could be threadedand helicoiled for one of those small (7mm I think) spark plugs likethey use on dual ignition VWs? Too off-the-wall?JohnK________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: scott
>If I can expect to get a Piet ride, a 3 hour side trip to Brodhead on= Saturday>would certainly be worth it.>>And now a Model A question:>>Has anybody ever tried to modify the aluminum Model A head for>a second spark plug? Possibly by boring a hole through a water>jacket and tig welding a sleeve in the hole which could be threaded>and helicoiled for one of those small (7mm I think) spark plugs like>they use on dual ignition VWs? >>Too off-the-wall?>>JohnK>Some years ago (with a the old 2 cycle 25:1 oil mixture used at that time) Imade a long trip in my motorcycle, to prevent cleaning and changing plugs inthe middle of nowhere in the sun, I made (with my welder an late) a partthat maybe you can use (or try), when one spark plug beguined to foul I justchange the cable to the other one.This way I could make some distance and find a shade to clean the sparkplugs, and drink a coke.... This was a good motorcycle with all that smoketrail the cars could see you at safe distance :-)I will try to explain (no drawing in e-mail yet): with an old spark plugmetal part, leave enough height to hold it in place, then using two littlepieces of tube (is difficult to find the words in english), with thediameter enough for the little new spark plugs (GM ?) make tread inside forthe spark plugs,then weld them to the piece of spark plug in "Y" position, screw it to thespark plug hole and put one little spark plug in each tube.... Then conectthe cable from each magneto to the spark plugs. I think this is better thanthe risk of a water leak....Saludos (no more) :-(=09EAA Chapter 1039 President ggower(at)informador.com.mx ~1,800 VW 2 place "Gtub"(50%)(own design)FAI= legalGuadalajara, Jalisco, MEXICOChapala Aerodrome Alt 4,997 asl N 20=BA19.506' W 103=BA08.203' (Got the= GPS!) "Cuando inducimos a alguien a nuestro deporte debemos ser firmes tambien enque mantenga optimo su estado fisico, entrenamiento y aeronave" - Julian= Taber(When we involve anyone else in flying we should be held to a high standardin term of medical, trainnig and plane upkeeping - Julian Taber)________________________________________________________________________________