Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol Navigation.

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jimvan1(at)juno.com
> >>GPS:> >Has anyone else used a handheld moving map unit more in the $600>range? With the difficulty of map reading in the Piet I think I will>need to invest in one. I also have noticed that I fly the Piet at about>300 - 500 feet instead of 1000-2000 feet in the Tri-Pacer. At the>lower altitude it only takes about 30 seconds to get lost - even when>I'm flying in my well traveled area.>I have used a Garmin 90. Have not compared it to the 195, but it wassufficient to see the Class B and skirt it. Does not have the roads, etc.I want to look at the Lorance (sp?) because it has the roads, etc. and issupposed to have an OBSTRUCTIONS database. If that means radio and tvtowers I definitely want one while flying my piet...Ted Brousseau / DOVENaples, FL ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary McArthur
Ted Brousseau wrote:> > >> >> >GPS:> >> >Has anyone else used a handheld moving map unit more in the $600> >range? With the difficulty of map reading in the Piet I think I will> >need to invest in one. I also have noticed that I fly the Piet at about> >300 - 500 feet instead of 1000-2000 feet in the Tri-Pacer. At the> >lower altitude it only takes about 30 seconds to get lost - even when> >I'm flying in my well traveled area.> >> I have used a Garmin 90. Have not compared it to the 195, but it was> sufficient to see the Class B and skirt it. Does not have the roads, etc.> > I want to look at the Lorance (sp?) because it has the roads, etc. and is> supposed to have an OBSTRUCTIONS database. If that means radio and tv> towers I definitely want one while flying my piet...> > Ted Brousseau / DOVE> Naples, FLTed, I shopped long and hard to get the best practicle gps on themarket that had all of the nice things in it and after trying severalincluding all of the garmens and apoloes I decided on the lowranceairmap. It is very user fiendly and is loaded with many options. I usedit on a road trip to milwaukee and it works great on the interstates aswell as in the air. I loaned it to a friend that is a CFI and commercialpilot and he has nothing but good things to say about it and he has usedseveral others but likes the air map over all of them. Another fellowmade me an offer to trade my airmap for his garmin 195 ,no deal.I hopeto get my bird back in the air in the next two weeks and hope I can getmy old friend to turn loose of my airmap.Ernie Hagness________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "ernest l. hagness"
>Ted, I shopped long and hard to get the best practicle gps on the>market that had all of the nice things in it and after trying several>including all of the garmens and apoloes I decided on the lowrance>airmap. It is very user fiendly and is loaded with many options. I used>it on a road trip to milwaukee and it works great on the interstates as>well as in the air.Ernie, Is yours one of the latest with an obstacle database? If so, how does itwork? Is it the same as class B and SUA, i.e., it will warn you when youget close? I hope so, it would be nice to have those radio and tv towersshowing up automatically on the moving map.Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Ted Brousseau wrote:> > > >Ted, I shopped long and hard to get the best practicle gps on the> >market that had all of the nice things in it and after trying several> >including all of the garmens and apoloes I decided on the lowrance> >airmap. It is very user fiendly and is loaded with many options. I used> >it on a road trip to milwaukee and it works great on the interstates as> >well as in the air.> > Ernie,> > Is yours one of the latest with an obstacle database? If so, how does it> work? Is it the same as class B and SUA, i.e., it will warn you when you> get close? I hope so, it would be nice to have those radio and tv towers> showing up automatically on the moving map.> > Ted Brousseau/APF> nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net> Sunny SW FloridaTed, Yes It does have all of the above. My friend who presently has iton loan from me is flying airial photography for the ASCS, (US Dpt. ofAg) with a 182 RG says he dont know how he was able to do this withoutthe GPS. In the areas of flight he has to get in and out of manymilitary zones and lots of towers so he is in no rush to give it back ,but since we do our fun flying togather I guess thats ok. Since the pietis without an electric system, I purchased a neat rechargeable batterypack from Damark that has outlets for 6-9- and 12 volt use and byremoving the battery pack from the GPS and placeing the rechareableunder the back seat next to the ELT I dont have to replace all of thosebatteries very often and the are always available for emergencie use. Italso serves as the power supply for the intercom and ICOM A22 with VOR.The cost of the pack was only 17.00 so I purchased two so I always haveone in the hangar fully charged and ready to go. These packs are also fused with an auto type fuse that you can easily replace on the exteriorof the unit. Walmart sold these units for a while but the local storesaid they were discontinued. May also be available at acadamy or othersporting goods stores. Ernie________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: classair(at)ny.frontiercomm.net
>>> Since the piet>is without an electric system, I purchased a neat rechargeable battery>pack from Damark that has outlets for 6-9- and 12 volt use and by>removing the battery pack from the GPS and placeing the rechareable>under the back seat next to the ELT I dont have to replace all of those>batteries very often and the are always available for emergencie use.Wow, Ernie, you don't have concerns about throwing off the weight &balance... Thanks for the info. Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Ted Brousseau wrote:> > >>> > Since the piet> >is without an electric system, I purchased a neat rechargeable battery> >pack from Damark that has outlets for 6-9- and 12 volt use and by> >removing the battery pack from the GPS and placeing the rechareable> >under the back seat next to the ELT I dont have to replace all of those> >batteries very often and the are always available for emergencie use.> > Wow, Ernie, you don't have concerns about throwing off the weight &> balance... > > Thanks for the info.> Ted Brousseau/APF> nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net> Sunny SW FloridaTed , I am kind of a skinny liteweight and I can add a bit of weightwith out a problom and I have seen the piets carry some portly lads OKand since I have an A 80 c0nt up front power is not a problem. But Iprobably should run a new W&B on the little bugger just to make sure.Ernie.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
>> >>>> > Since the piet>> >is without an electric system, I purchased a neat rechargeable battery>> >pack from Damark that has outlets for 6-9- and 12 volt useErnie,I looked in my last Damark catalog and couldn't find that battery pack. Didyou purchase it recently? Do you have a catalog number? It sounds likesomething I could use.Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Gower
Ted Brousseau wrote:> > >> >>> >> > Since the piet> >> >is without an electric system, I purchased a neat rechargeable battery> >> >pack from Damark that has outlets for 6-9- and 12 volt use> > Ernie,> > I looked in my last Damark catalog and couldn't find that battery pack. Did> you purchase it recently? Do you have a catalog number? It sounds like> something I could use.> > Ted Brousseau/APF> nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net> Sunny SW FloridaTed I will try to find the catalog number , If that fails I can give youall of the data from my receipt ect . that you can call damark on their800 and see if they still have any . The data off the box is #30199electrical v MVP 12 volt dc rechargeable handy power system multi-voltwith diagnostic LED display I-6001 multi portable power source hasmulti-DC. voltage 3v-6v-9v-12v featured with a 12volt DC or 110voltACrecharging capability . The 110 charge adapter is not included butavailable at K Mart for about $7.00 The unit is also fused with anautomotive type flat two prong fuse easy to get at on the outside of theunit. It is put out by the Shin Fu Co of America inc. 10939 N Pomonaave. Kansas City, MO. 64153. The bar code number is 0 47077 19294 8 Shin Fu phone number is 816-891-6390 and Fax is 816-891-6599 Damarksnumber is 1-800-827-6767 any day any time. If you are unable to do anygood with this info I will try to find me receipt and get the catalognumber. I think it is at the air port in my four foot high airplaneexpense folder that is to large to transport so i just leave it in thehangar and watch it grow.Also I belong the the Damark preferred buyersclub and got these for 15 or 17 $ with free shipping . A heck of abargain. Good luck . Ernie________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

> Ernie wrote:>> Also I belong the the Damark preferred buyers>club and got these for 15 or 17 $ with free shipping . A heck of a>bargain. Good luck . Ernie>Ernie,Thanks for all the great info. I just hope everyone else on the listdoesn't call and cause a run on them... Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Ted Brousseau wrote:> > > Ernie wrote:> >> Also I belong the the Damark preferred buyers> >club and got these for 15 or 17 $ with free shipping . A heck of a> >bargain. Good luck . Ernie> >> Ernie,> > Thanks for all the great info. I just hope everyone else on the list> doesn't call and cause a run on them... > > Ted Brousseau/APF> nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net> Sunny SW FloridaTed, Thats what happened here when I showed mine to the eaa group ,and abunch of local areial ag applicators . If you dont connect with the infoyou have ,push my button again and I will try to dig up the catalognumber.Ernie.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Ted Brousseau wrote:> > > Ernie wrote:> >> Also I belong the the Damark preferred buyers> >club and got these for 15 or 17 $ with free shipping . A heck of a> >bargain. Good luck . Ernie> >> Ernie,> > Thanks for all the great info. I just hope everyone else on the list> doesn't call and cause a run on them... > > Ted Brousseau/APF> nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net> Sunny SW FloridaTed, as promised I did go through my paper mountain in search of data Ineed to enter in my log book as I get ready to certify after a bunch ofrepairs and I was able to locate the catalog number for the powerpack Iwill give you the string as not to miss anything you may need.Start--Item #508952 description--handy power system-- catalog#30020--Item price $19.99 Discount for member$5.00 --total itemprice$14.99 --Free shipping . Good luck. This is all of the data I have.Ernie.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Niwlyf(at)aol.com
ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net> writes:Ted Brousseau wrote: Ernie wrote: Also I belong the the Damark preferred buyersclub and got these for 15 or 17 $ with free shipping . A heck of abargain. Good luck . Ernie Ernie, Thanks for all the great info. I just hope everyone else on the list doesn't call and cause a run on them... Ted Brousseau/APF nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net Sunny SW FloridaTed, as promised I did go through my paper mountain in search of data Ineed to enter in my log book as I get ready to certify after a bunch ofrepairs and I was able to locate the catalog number for the powerpack Iwill give you the string as not to miss anything you may need.Start--Item #508952 description--handy power system-- catalog#30020--Item price $19.99 Discount for member$5.00 --total itemprice$14.99 --Free shipping . Good luck. This is all of the data I have.Ernie.C'mon, guys, if you wanna nav, get a Garmin 90. Use AA's.I've got a Corvair with a battery, and I don't use it 'cept for ignition.JimV.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

any GPS should only be used as a last resort. Fly like the 1928 pilotdid.....________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Niwlyf(at)aol.com wrote:> > any GPS should only be used as a last resort. Fly like the 1928 pilot> did.....I did with My dad and wound up in a lot of strange places and hayfields.It WAS FUN AND EXCITING BUT , todays landscape with all of theobstructions,traffic and restricted air space that some of us have toweave our way through i will take the GPS. An old geezer thats beenthere and done that.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

jimvan1(at)juno.com wrote:> > ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net> writes:> Ted Brousseau wrote:> > Ernie wrote:> Also I belong the the Damark preferred buyers> club and got these for 15 or 17 $ with free shipping . A heck of a> bargain. Good luck . Ernie> > Ernie,> > Thanks for all the great info. I just hope everyone else on the> list> doesn't call and cause a run on them... > > Ted Brousseau/APF> nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net> Sunny SW Florida> Ted, as promised I did go through my paper mountain in search of data> I> need to enter in my log book as I get ready to certify after a bunch> of> repairs and I was able to locate the catalog number for the powerpack> I> will give you the string as not to miss anything you may need.> Start--Item #508952 description--handy power system-- catalog#> 30020--Item price $19.99 Discount for member$5.00 --total item> price$14.99 --Free shipping . Good luck. This is all of the data I> have.> Ernie.> > C'mon, guys, if you wanna nav, get a Garmin 90. Use AA's.> I've got a Corvair with a battery, and I don't use it 'cept for ignition.> > JimV.The Lowrance also hums along on aa power but I like the backup systemand being able to recharge keeps me out of K Mart buying all of thoseAAs________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Alan Laudani
I fly out of San Diego and the air is quite cluttered but it still funwithout a GPS. Where I would use it the most is in the desert where everything looks like the last thing you saw.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Niwlyf(at)aol.com wrote:> > I fly out of San Diego and the air is quite cluttered but it still fun> without a GPS. Where I would use it the most is in the desert where every> thing looks like the last thing you saw.Roger to that We have a lot of that in texas also.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Earnie,My worse fear came true. After all your help Damark came up dry-sold out.Looks like I'll just have to stick with dead reckoning and my astro sextantin the piet.Thanks, Ted>> >> Also I belong the the Damark preferred buyers>> >club and got these for 15 or 17 $ with free shipping . A heck of a>> >bargain. Good luck . Ernie>> >>> Ernie,>> >> Thanks for all the great info. I just hope everyone else on the list>> doesn't call and cause a run on them... >> >> Ted Brousseau/APF________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Attention: Ted BrousseauHello Ted,How in the heck can you use an astro sextant and fly a Pietenpolat the same time????I have a friend here who has a Pietenpol and he uses a prettyordinary (if there is such a thing) GPS that was not specificallydesigned for aeronautical navigation. He is a trained avionicstechnician and says it is easy to program for aviation use. Itcost him only about $250 Canadian currency (approximately $180in U.S. dollars). I may see him this evening because it looks like fine Pietenpol weather, and will get some details.Me? I use the time-tested dead reckoning/ greasy finger-on-a-pen-cil-line-across-the-map method. But I understand that some of youdon't have our generally-clear skies and wide open spaces, and itis nice to know one's exact location in haze while threading one'sway through a mess of towers and restricted airspace.Cheers,________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

>>>Hello Ted,>>How in the heck can you use an astro sextant and fly a Pietenpol>at the same time????Darn if I know. I have the astro sextant and don't have anyone to show mehow to use it. I just figured that with the open cockpit the Piet might bea perfect platform to try...>>I have a friend here who has a Pietenpol and he uses a pretty>ordinary (if there is such a thing) GPS that was not specifically>designed for aeronautical navigation.That is exactly what I use. It is for boating and shuts down at 99kts.Don't have to worry about that in the Piet. I just program in my waypointsand it gets me there. I don't use it except to find strange airports thattry to hide in the haze. Otherwise, I just follow the roads or high tensionwires.Glad to see you still lurk on this list.Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Ted Brousseau wrote:> > Earnie,> > My worse fear came true. After all your help Damark came up dry-sold out.> Looks like I'll just have to stick with dead reckoning and my astro sextant> in the piet.> > Thanks, Ted> > >> >> Also I belong the the Damark preferred buyers> >> >club and got these for 15 or 17 $ with free shipping . A heck of a> >> >bargain. Good luck . Ernie> >> >> >> Ernie,> >>> >> Thanks for all the great info. I just hope everyone else on the list> >> doesn't call and cause a run on them... > >>> >> Ted Brousseau/APFTed, sorry bout that. Ernie________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Hi,> >I have a friend here who has a Pietenpol and he uses a pretty> >ordinary (if there is such a thing) GPS that was not specifically> >designed for aeronautical navigation.> > That is exactly what I use. It is for boating and shuts down at 99kts.> Don't have to worry about that in the Piet. I just program in my waypoints> and it gets me there. I don't use it except to find strange airports that> try to hide in the haze. Otherwise, I just follow the roads or high tension> wires.> Ted Brousseau/APFOne navigational device that seems to be overlooked these days is the Loran C.True, the GPS has dominated the new market and I don't believe anyone is stillselling new Lorans. However, there are tonnes of them on the used market. Ibought a 5 year old Apollo 618 with database, tray, antenna, and all thegoodies for $100. Just try and find a panel mount GPS for less than $1000.Even $2000 is a challenge. Loran C still works and will continue to work forat least 8 more years, possibly longer. By then, there should be some cheaper,used, panel mount GPS's on the market.Ken________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
I have looked at some non Aviation GPS's. The Megellen (spelling?) is theonly one that will go above 99kts. Know you do not need that in a Piet, butif you happen to be in something else it is nice. In a Piet if you get tolost just land in a field and ask someone where you are.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Hi,> I have looked at some non Aviation GPS's. The Megellen (spelling?) is the> only one that will go above 99kts. Know you do not need that in a Piet, but> if you happen to be in something else it is nice. In a Piet if you get to> lost just land in a field and ask someone where you are.Check out the new Garmin 12XL. According to the Garmin web page, it's notspeed limited. ( http://www.garmin.com )Ken________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mahal5(at)juno.com (Emily Williamson)
Ken Beanlands wrote: One navigational device that seems to be overlookedthese days is the Loran C.> True, the GPS has dominated the new market and I don't believe anyone> is still> selling new Lorans. However, there are tonnes of them on the used> market. I> bought a 5 year old Apollo 618 with database, tray, antenna, and all> the> goodies for $100. Just try and find a panel mount GPS for less than> $1000.> Even $2000 is a challenge. Loran C still works and will continue to> work for> at least 8 more years, possibly longer. By then, there should be some> cheaper,> used, panel mount GPS's on the market.>> KenAll true, but who has panel mounted any radio in a piet/nav piece in apiet. I have yet to see a piet with even so much as a transponder orDME. Not many piets have any (intentional) ifr time on them. :)As for the 99KT limitation. I have tested a couple newer non-aviationmodels including the Magellen 12XL (very nice) and both function at over200mph. --gotta find a faster airplane to test my GPS.Steve E.________________________________________________________________________________