Pietenpol-List: Brodhead 'n stuff

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Brodhead 'n stuff

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: David Schober
Greetings all! (Especially those who were at Brodhead and who I didn'tmeet...)A red-letter week for me, never been to Oshkosh before, let alone Brodhead(didn't know what a Piet was this time last year ;-) Both shows were agas, though I was disappointed by the low Piet turnout at the big show.Bill Rawley's Piet was there, and the afore-mentioned GN-1. Talked to Billfor a bit about his project, and it was great to finally see a Piet up close.At Brodhead, I was amazed at the beautiful cream and red jobbie, withlaminated wood struts and straight-axle gear, resplendent with wire wheels- talk about inspiring! Mind you, the rest of the flock looked as prettyas punch, and especially at home on the grass field. The funky Germancamo-schemed number was a hoot, with a couple fake (I hope?!?) machine gunswhere the front cockpit might be.Finally got up the gall to ask Bernie (who's last name I didn't get, moreevidence of my glowing people skills ;-) for a ride in his little red 75-hpnumber (I hope I'm getting all these factoids right). The front cockpitwas a little tricky to negotiate for this 6'2" klutz, but once inside, itwas much roomier than I had imagined it would be. Turning crosswind, I didfor a fleeting moment suffer a bit of"Ohmygodsomeguybuiltthisinhisgarage-itis", but it was quickly (*very*quickly) replaced by sheer, utter flying joy. I'd never been in an opencockpit before, and the wind and noise were comfortable, even withoutgoggles or headset. Suffice to say, I knew that I'd have to start dusting off those plans andget going. After landing (and twisting myself out of the 'pit), I wanderedover to where some guys were watching an 'A' run on the uncovered fuselage. Aside from drooling over the woodwork (very tasty, as far as my untrainedeye could see) and the nice woven-cane seats, I got to see and hear an 'A'running. Let me just say that it gave me pause to reconsider my desire toput a radial on my project. Them Fords sure do sound nice, and a good doseof 'funky' can make all the difference in a design.All in all, most enjoyable. Got to fly back to Los Angeles in a Yak-52,which didn't hurt my outlook, either. My butt, on the other hand, hurtlike hell ;-)Happy flying to all, and happy building!Cheers, Steve Pugh Senior Systems Engineer Foundation Imaging________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: Brodhead 'n stuff

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Pugh
Steve, what radial are you considering for your project? I am notbuilding yet but, I was thinking a small radial would be nice --haven'theard an "A" yet though.Carl J. HixonProject Engineer_______________________Dura Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, CA 92121Phone: (619) 784-6747 Fax: (619) 453-2544________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: Brodhead 'n stuff

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jimvan1(at)juno.com
>Steve, what radial are you considering for your project? I am not>building yet but, I was thinking a small radial would be nice --haven't>heard an "A" yet though.Well, even though I've heard from quite a few people that the HCI radial(the one made from VW cylinders) is too light, I like the looks of it (whoam I to let a little thing like weight and balance to interfere withcoolness? :-)I guess I'll take a closer look when they're further along with itsdevelopment. Maybe putting a little bit of electrical in would bring theweight up. Maybe not.Then again, at Oshkosh they were showing a 3-cylinder radial from themakers of the M14 Russian 9-cyl. That one might be a bit too heavy,though. And Zoche is making a 4-cyl. 150HP radial that might be a bit muchpower, but the weight might work. And I understand that there's a LeBlonde(sp?) that some people have put on.As you can tell, I haven't gotten too far past the "Gee, a radial would becool!" phase...Cheers, Steve Pugh Senior Systems Engineer Foundation Imaging________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead 'n stuff

Post by matronics »

writes:Steve, what radial are you considering for your project? I am notbuilding yet but, I was thinking a small radial would be nice -haven'theard an "A" yet though.Well, even though I've heard from quite a few people that the HCI radial(the one made from VW cylinders) is too light, I like the looks of it (whoam I to let a little thing like weight and balance to interfere withcoolness? :-)I guess I'll take a closer look when they're further along with itsdevelopment. Maybe putting a little bit of electrical in would bring theweight up. Maybe not.Then again, at Oshkosh they were showing a 3-cylinder radial from themakers of the M14 Russian 9-cyl. That one might be a bit too heavy,though. And Zoche is making a 4-cyl. 150HP radial that might be a bit muchpower, but the weight might work. And I understand that there's a LeBlonde(sp?) that some people have put on.As you can tell, I haven't gotten too far past the "Gee, a radial would becool!" phase...Cheers, Steve Pugh Senior Systems Engineer Foundation ImagingSteve: I'm surprised, even shocked that you did not find the three (yes,3) HCIradials being built on the field - at Brodhead. He is coming right alongwith them.Dick Weeden is his name, and he has the hangar closest to the road. Ibelieve he was there on saturday, but he had the engines sort of hiddenin the north west corner of the building. Also, Frank Pavliga has, and almost has on hisPiet, a Russian 3 cylinder radial. I'll report on it when I knowanything. He has it running on a stand. His Piet was flying at theT'craft fly-in on 7/4/97TTYL JimV.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mahal5(at)juno.com (Emily Williamson)
>Steve:> I'm surprised, even shocked that you did not find the three (yes,>3) HCI>radials being built on the field - at Brodhead. He is coming right along>with them.>Dick Weeden is his name, and he has the hangar closest to the road. I>believe he was there on saturday, but he had the engines sort of hidden>in the north west >corner of the building. Also, Frank Pavliga has, and almost has on his>Piet, a Russian 3 cylinder radial. I'll report on it when I know>anything. He has it running on a stand. His Piet was flying at the>T'craft fly-in on 7/4/97Well, I just kinda floundered around Brodhead...I never made it over to thefar hangars where the two-tone blue Piet was (along with the other planesover there), and missed most of the forum activity. I hope to get thereearlier and stay longer next time.Please do let me know more when you hear from Frank about his radial. I'mencouraged!Cheers, Steve Pugh Senior Systems Engineer Foundation Imaging________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Steve Pugh wrote:> > As you can tell, I haven't gotten too far past the "Gee, a radial would be> cool!" phase...> A year back was wondering what engine to put in my "abaout to happen"Piet.Finally came to the conclusion that I didn't need to know in order tostart building the rest! The front end of the fuselage is either of two configurations; one is asimple firewall with four hardpoints to hook a mount to. The other ispretty much the same, but leaves an opening into the upper forwardfuselage area to let parts of the Ford-A hang back into. My decision was to start building a non-A configuration, and sort outthe engine details later. I'm confident that the ability to shift thewing back and forth will let me get weight/balance right. And if thingsget really bad and I use one of those really light powerful engines,I'll just hang a little lead on the engine mount and have a package thatstill weighs less than the "A" engine (but more horses).I realize today that if I would have begun building the smallest bitsand pieces of a Piet thirty years ago I'd have it flying today. Too soon too olt, und too late too schmart.If any of you think I'm doing something wrong don't tell me. I'm havingtoo much fun building this thing to let reality get in the way. :)Go get 'em,Dick Winkel________________________________________________________________________________