Pietenpol-List: Seat and shoulder belts

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Seat and shoulder belts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jimsury(at)fbtc.net (Jim Sury)
While sitting in the fuselage the other day, the thought crossed my mindthat my face was very close to the instrument panel, and that I wouldprobably want a very firm shoulder harness to protect the brain bucket ifexperiencing extreme deceleration, ie a big boo boo.Only question that comes to mind, and is absent on the plans is where toattach the seat belt in the rear cockpit, and where to attach the shoulderharness in both cockpits. The front pit I think could be attached to thelanding gear fitting. However, more hardware (weight) me be needed back ofthe rear seat. What and where are you guys attaching same to? Are you running wirecable(s) from an aft location? ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Seat and shoulder belts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: grhans(at)freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
>While sitting in the fuselage the other day, the thought crossed my mind>that my face was very close to the instrument panel, and that I would>probably want a very firm shoulder harness to protect the brain bucket if>experiencing extreme deceleration, ie a big boo boo.>>Only question that comes to mind, and is absent on the plans is where to>attach the seat belt in the rear cockpit, and where to attach the shoulder>harness in both cockpits. The front pit I think could be attached to the>landing gear fitting. However, more hardware (weight) me be needed back of>the rear seat. >>What and where are you guys attaching same to? Are you running wire>cable(s) from an aft location? >>>I was wondering the same thing. The seat belt can be attached to cable fromthe back bays but how do you do the shoulder harness since the shoulders areabove the rear turtle deck. The attachment point for shoulder harnessesshould be above the shoulders. If they are below the shoulders I understandthat on impact the force drives you down crushing your spine. And thatwouldn't be too healthy. I really don't know how to attach the shoulderharness. We need help with this one.Jim________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Richard Winkel
Ian Holland wrote:> While sitting in the fuselage the other day, the thought crossed my> mind> that my face was very close to the instrument panel, and that I would> probably want a very firm shoulder harness to protect the brain bucket> if> experiencing extreme deceleration, ie a big boo boo.>> Only question that comes to mind, and is absent on the plans is where> to> attach the seat belt in the rear cockpit, and where to attach the> shoulder> harness in both cockpits. The front pit I think could be attached to> the> landing gear fitting. However, more hardware (weight) me be needed> back of> the rear seat.>> What and where are you guys attaching same to? Are you running wire> cable(s) from an aft location? I ran my cables back to the first compression member that intersectswith thetop longerons. I bolted through the gusset and the vertical uprights.To thishardpoint on each side I ran a piece of cable that loops forward towhich the shoulderharness anchors.Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Steve Eldredge wrote:> I ran my cables back to the first compression member that intersects> with the> top longerons. I bolted through the gusset and the vertical uprights.> To this> hardpoint on each side I ran a piece of cable that loops forward to> which the shoulder> harness anchors.> Steve,I went looking for evidence of this at your web page. I think I found the bolt you describe in the picture taken back into the fuselage.I don't understand the route taken by the cable that loops forward. Could you describe it to the point that it is painfully obvious?Or, perhaps you could add a photo on your page showing it??By the way, a great photo of your ship by the mountains!Dick________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Richard Winkel wrote:> Steve Eldredge wrote:> > I ran my cables back to the first compression member that> intersects> > with the> > top longerons. I bolted through the gusset and the vertical> uprights.> > To this> > hardpoint on each side I ran a piece of cable that loops forward to> > which the shoulder> > harness anchors.> >>> Steve,>> I went looking for evidence of this at your web page. I think I found>> the bolt you describe in the picture taken back into the fuselage.>Boy, I went looking on my page for evidence as well, but didn't bringyour attentionto that bolt because I figured it would be too obscure.Guess not! I think I havea couple of other photo's --hold tight, if I have them Ill post them up.> I don't understand the route taken by the cable that loops forward.> Could you describe it to the point that it is painfully obvious?> Or, perhaps you could add a photo on your page showing it??>> By the way, a great photo of your ship by the mountains!>> Dick Thanks! That was taken just after the Inspector left. I have thelittle pink slip thatsays I am airworthy!Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Richard Winkel wrote:> Steve Eldredge wrote:> > I ran my cables back to the first compression member that> intersects> > with the> > top longerons. I bolted through the gusset and the vertical> uprights.> > To this> > hardpoint on each side I ran a piece of cable that loops forward to> > which the shoulder> > harness anchors.> >>> Steve,>> I went looking for evidence of this at your web page. I think I found>> the bolt you describe in the picture taken back into the fuselage.>> I don't understand the route taken by the cable that loops forward.> Could you describe it to the point that it is painfully obvious?> Or, perhaps you could add a photo on your page showing it??>> By the way, a great photo of your ship by the mountains!>> DickDick, and others with shoulder harness questions,CHeck out my home page again. I just found and posted two more photo'swith the detailsof the shoulder harness hardpoints.Stevee.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kevin Southwick
> Thanks! That was taken just after the Inspector left. I have the>little pink slip that>says I am airworthy!Congratulations!! Fly off them hours and bring her out to sunny Californiaso that I can use your baby to get my taildragger signoff...ooops, I meantso you can enjoys the sunsets here ;-)Hats off to you, Steve!Cheers, Steve Pugh Senior Systems Engineer Foundation Imaging________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Steve Eldredge wrote:> CHeck out my home page again. I just found and posted two more photo's withthe details> of the shoulder harness hardpoints.> Ah! Many thanks. You've answered all my shoulder harness questions.Dick________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Jim Sury
Thanks very much for the info and comments. I found the home page of Steveeand the picture was worth a thousand words! and much head scratching. Thecomments about having the attach points above the shoulders will not workout in a piet. The lesser damage is likely a sore back vs a mushed in face.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "McNarry, John"
> > Thanks very much for the info and comments. I found the home page of Stevee> and the picture was worth a thousand words! and much head scratching. The> comments about having the attach points above the shoulders will not work> out in a piet. The lesser damage is likely a sore back vs a mushed in face.> One way around it if the turtle deck is already built is to add a headrestwith the harness coming out the top. Otherwise I would raise the turtle deck tothe same height as the coaming foward. I've seen Piets like that and I think they look better anyway.john________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Seat and shoulder belts

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
> > >While sitting in the fuselage the other day, the thought crossed my mind> >that my face was very close to the instrument panel, and that I would> >probably want a very firm shoulder harness to protect the brain bucketif> >experiencing extreme deceleration, ie a big boo boo.> >> >Only question that comes to mind, and is absent on the plans is where to> >attach the seat belt in the rear cockpit, and where to attach theshoulder> >harness in both cockpits. The front pit I think could be attached to the> >landing gear fitting. However, more hardware (weight) me be needed backof> >the rear seat. > >> >What and where are you guys attaching same to? Are you running wire> >cable(s) from an aft location? > >> >> >I was wondering the same thing. The seat belt can be attached to cablefrom> the back bays but how do you do the shoulder harness since the shouldersare> above the rear turtle deck. The attachment point for shoulder harnesses> should be above the shoulders. If they are below the shoulders Iunderstand> that on impact the force drives you down crushing your spine. And that> wouldn't be too healthy. I really don't know how to attach the shoulder> harness. We need help with this one.> Jim________________________________________________________________________________