Pietenpol-List: Pietenpols in Belgium?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Pietenpols in Belgium?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: desmo(at)interport.net (Mark Burnham)
Hello everyone!I'm an American private pilot living in Belgium who really wants tobuild/fly my own a Pietenpol Air Camper using a Model A Ford engine,however, I'm finding that building your own in Belgium isn't quite aseasy as back in the United States. I have heard that some Piets are being built in the U.K., but from whatI can determine, the Belgian aviation rules are difficult at best forthe homebuilder with homebuilts appearently limited to Belgian airspaceuse! There does appear to be an ultra-light following here, and I'mthinking that I might be able to squeeze a Piet under the weightrestrictions for this category. I have also heard something beforewhere a person in Denmark was planning on building a Pietenpol using aBMW motorcycle engine. I have not had any luck in finding out really where to start. It may bepossible to even build / register the plane in France as homebuilts arequite popular there. I'm concerned, however, that I many have troublegetting approval for the Ford engine. In the UK, they seem to have touse Continental engines for this reason. I would like to find a way toalso meet FAA certification so that I would have no trouble should Ireturn to the U.S. at some point. I would really appreciate any advice or help that any of you can give mein trying to learn how I might proceed with a European based Pietproject, or for that matter regarding any amateur aircraft builders herein Belgium! The idea of flying my own Pietenpol around Europe would seem to me -romance at its best!!Best regards,Jim Wrightjgw(at)skynet.be________________________________________________________________________________