Pietenpol-List: net size

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: net size

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brad Schultz
Ok, I'm ready to build the wing ribs so what is everybody really using asfar as size. Are the capstrips and bracing 1/4 x 1/2 or 1/4 x 1/4 or 1/4 x3/8 . also what is the glue of the moment. I' ve built boats before usingWeldwood Plastic Resin. But I hear T-88 is the glue of choice. Is it meor does there seem to be a lot of discrepencies between the plans of oldand new.?________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: net size

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Sury
1/4 X 1/2 I use T-88 and love it. Get yourself some medicine plastic pillcups, 2 oz, and a box of acid brushes. That way you mix a little at a time asyou use it and throw the brush and container away.PHIL PECK wrote:> Ok, I'm ready to build the wing ribs so what is everybody really using as> far as size. Are the capstrips and bracing 1/4 x 1/2 or 1/4 x 1/4 or 1/4 x> 3/8 . also what is the glue of the moment. I' ve built boats before using> Weldwood Plastic Resin. But I hear T-88 is the glue of choice. Is it me> or does there seem to be a lot of discrepencies between the plans of old> and new.?________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: clawler
T-88 is the way to go. Don't use any thing that is waxed to mix the T88 inor on. I used small note pad paper to mix T88 on when building ribs. Youdon't need that much glue and a small stick is all you need, those brushesare a lot more expensive than a stick the size of a popsicle stick. Whendoing spars and other big jobs I used paper plates and sticks. I have usedPlastic Resin Glue and it does a good job also but T88 mixes faster andthere is not waiting period before you can use it. I you can weight thegussets instead of nailing them down you will have a better looking rib.The small nails are hard to handle and after a short time start to backthemselves out. If you insist on nails I have found something that reallyworks well. From an electronic shop you can get a clip that will hold thenail and save your fingers. Of coarse you still have to put the nail intothe clip. Weights is the way to go. One rib a day and in a month you willhave all the ribs built. Go for it. I think the 1/4 by 1/4 rib is plentybig and half the weight. Think light. After all the wing loading is only 8lbs. or less. gotta go now.jim>1/4 X 1/2 I use T-88 and love it. Get yourself some medicine plastic pill>cups, 2 oz, and a box of acid brushes. That way you mix a little at atime as>you use it and throw the brush and container away.>>PHIL PECK wrote:>>> Ok, I'm ready to build the wing ribs so what is everybody really using as>> far as size. Are the capstrips and bracing 1/4 x 1/2 or 1/4 x 1/4 or 1/4 x>> 3/8 . also what is the glue of the moment. I' ve built boats before using>> Weldwood Plastic Resin. But I hear T-88 is the glue of choice. Is it me>> or does there seem to be a lot of discrepencies between the plans of old>> and new.?>>jimsury(at)fbtc.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Jim Sury
Anything wrong with using staples?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> Jim Sury
Nothing wrong with staples or nails but remember they only serve a purposewhile the glue drys than they are along for the ride only. If you useweights you will have a stronger and better looking rib. jim>Anything wrong with using staples?>>----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
randy.green wrote:> > Anything wrong with using staples?> > ----------Randy,I have heard that some folks have used staples to hold the gussets downuntil the glue dries, then remove them afterwards to avoid future rustproblems and get rid of a little weight. I used staples to hold downsome plywood panels on a wooden kayak, and it was a real nightmareremoving them. I did so much marring of the wood removing them that Ivowed never to use them again. If you do not want to do all thatnailing with the little brass nails, consider using just two nails pergusset to hold it in place, then have spring or over center clamps onyour jig to apply the pressure until the glue dries. Slows down thebuilding a bit, though.On the capstrip size, I'll add my two bits. The plans call for 1/4 x1/2 for the Air Camper, and 1/4 x 1/4 on my Aerial biplane conversion. The Grega plans call for 1/4 x 1/4 for 65 hp or less, and 1/4 x 1/2 formore than 65 hp. I built a 1/4 x 1/4 rib and it flexed too much side toside for my liking though plenty strong in bending. Then I got some 1/4x 1/2 spruce from my local hobby store and it looked like a part for theBrooklyn Bridge! Super stout, just the way Bernie Pietenpol intended. I am compromising with 1/4 x 3/8 for our Piet, still plenty strong forthe speeds we will be flying and a little lighter.Mike List________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Skinner
Why deviate from the plans? If they call for 1/4 x 1/2 , 1/4 x 1/4 may be risky business.--________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> David Scott
I agree. Also, when you go to bolt the nose cap on, there would not be muchlee way between the nose gussets and the bolt hole. The 1/4 x 1/4 rib wouldalso not leave much nailing room. I used a 79 cent pair of medicaltweezers that I filed a slight slot in to that handled 3000+ nails with noproblems. The slot allows you to easily pick up the nails and positionthem. I found a very nice two ounce brass ball pean type tack hammer thatworked very well. Got it out of House of Tools. I considered clampingrather than gluing and elected the nails for the wings. I cannot see howyou would get everything in position with clamps. You would need a lot ofthem. I stapled and pulled the fuselage gussets. It took over 3000 of themtoo. I used aerolite glue and a very few locations that were non structuralgot T-88. The aerolite was fun to work with. The T-88 was messy, and tendedto slip, a big factor if you are thinking of clamping. Due an oven testwith the T-88 before you get too far along. You may be surprised at howmuch it softens at relatively low temperatures, ie what you could expect ina covered wing in July.
matronics

> Re: net size

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Greg Cardinal
> > > > T-88 is the way to go. Don't use any thing that is waxed to mix the T88in> or on. I used small note pad paper to mix T88 on when building ribs. You> don't need that much glue and a small stick is all you need, thosebrushes> are a lot more expensive than a stick the size of a popsicle stick. When> doing spars and other big jobs I used paper plates and sticks. I haveused> Plastic Resin Glue and it does a good job also but T88 mixes faster and> there is not waiting period before you can use it. I you can weight the> gussets instead of nailing them down you will have a better looking rib.> The small nails are hard to handle and after a short time start to back> themselves out. If you insist on nails I have found something that really> works well. From an electronic shop you can get a clip that will holdthe> nail and save your fingers. Of coarse you still have to put the nailinto> the clip. Weights is the way to go. One rib a day and in a month you will> have all the ribs built. Go for it. I think the 1/4 by 1/4 rib is plenty> big and half the weight. Think light. After all the wing loading is only8> lbs. or less. gotta go now.> jim> > >1/4 X 1/2 I use T-88 and love it. Get yourself some medicine plasticpill> >cups, 2 oz, and a box of acid brushes. That way you mix a little at a> time as> >you use it and throw the brush and container away.> >> >PHIL PECK wrote:> >> >> Ok, I'm ready to build the wing ribs so what is everybody really usingas> >> far as size. Are the capstrips and bracing 1/4 x 1/2 or 1/4 x 1/4 or1/4 x> >> 3/8 . also what is the glue of the moment. I' ve built boats beforeusing> >> Weldwood Plastic Resin. But I hear T-88 is the glue of choice. Is itme> >> or does there seem to be a lot of discrepencies between the plans ofold> >> and new.?> >> >> >> >> >> jimsury(at)fbtc.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Re: net size

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Greg Cardinal
>> >> >> >> T-88 is the way to go. Don't use any thing that is waxed to mix the T88>in>> or on. I used small note pad paper to mix T88 on when building ribs. You>> don't need that much glue and a small stick is all you need, those>brushes>> are a lot more expensive than a stick the size of a popsicle stick. When>> doing spars and other big jobs I used paper plates and sticks. I have>used>> Plastic Resin Glue and it does a good job also but T88 mixes faster and>> there is not waiting period before you can use it. I you can weight the>> gussets instead of nailing them down you will have a better looking rib.>> The small nails are hard to handle and after a short time start to back>> themselves out. If you insist on nails I have found something that really>> works well. From an electronic shop you can get a clip that will hold>the>> nail and save your fingers. Of coarse you still have to put the nail>into>> the clip. Weights is the way to go. One rib a day and in a month you will>> have all the ribs built. Go for it. I think the 1/4 by 1/4 rib is plenty>> big and half the weight. Think light. After all the wing loading is only>8>> lbs. or less. gotta go now.>> jim>> >> >1/4 X 1/2 I use T-88 and love it. Get yourself some medicine plastic>pill>> >cups, 2 oz, and a box of acid brushes. That way you mix a little at a>> time as>> >you use it and throw the brush and container away.>> >>> >PHIL PECK wrote:>> >>> >> Ok, I'm ready to build the wing ribs so what is everybody really using>as>> >> far as size. Are the capstrips and bracing 1/4 x 1/2 or 1/4 x 1/4 or>1/4 x>> >> 3/8 . also what is the glue of the moment. I' ve built boats before>using>> >> Weldwood Plastic Resin. But I hear T-88 is the glue of choice. Is it>me>> >> or does there seem to be a lot of discrepencies between the plans of>old>> >> and new.?>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> jimsury(at)fbtc.net>>jimsury(at)fbtc.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: net size

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brent Reed
> > > > Why deviate from the plans? > > If they call for 1/4 x 1/2 , 1/4 x 1/4 may be risky business.> > > --________________________________________________________________________________