Pietenpol-List: Tools, etc... -Reply

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Tools, etc... -Reply

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
I was under the impression that most of it could be built with hnad tools (non-power tools). Is this not the case?Richard> You MUST get a drill press. It is the one bench power tool you won't be > able to get by without. All those holes must be drilled > with as much precision as possible. A benchtop one is all you need.> > After that a bench grinder and table saw.> > john> Web Developer, http://www.autoeurope.comHomepage: http://www.wrld.com/w3builder__________ ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Tools, etc... -Reply

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
I would highly recommend a good quality compound miter saw with aGOOD fine tooth carbide blade.I purchased a 10" Delta for $ 175.00 and a 40 tooth blade for around $50.00. I cut all the rib uprights in a single afternoon and they fit verynicely.Greg Cardinal>>> Richard DeCosta 01/04/98 04:08pm>>>OK, here is the message where I let everyone know just how much of a beginner I am in all this! :) I am ready (financially speaking) to get outfitted to build my Piet and order the materials to build the ribs. HOWEVER, I would like advice in the tools I purchase. I have done some woodworking, but not alot. So, not only will I be learning to build an airplane, I will be learning fine woodworking skills. Soooo...Can anyone who has the time please email me (or the list, if you feel they could benefit) any advice about what tools are best for building a Piet. All I have right now is a couple screwdrivers and a shiney new hammer I got at Home Depot this past Saturday. The more specific the reply, the better. :)Thanks to any and all who reply!Richardhttp://www.wrld.com/w3builder/piet____________ ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: rdecosta(at)autoeurope.com (Richard DeCosta)
You MUST get a drill press. It is the one bench power tool you won't be able to get by without. All those holes must be drilled with as much precision as possible. A benchtop one is all you need.After that a bench grinder and table saw.john________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Wkoucky
> Content-Length: 516> > I was under the impression that most of it could be built with hnad > tools (non-power tools). Is this not the case?> > Richard> > > You MUST get a drill press. It is the one bench power tool you won't be > > able to get by without. All those holes must be drilled > > with as much precision as possible. A benchtop one is all you need.> > > > After that a bench grinder and table saw.> > > > john> > > ----------------------------------------> Web Developer, http://www.autoeurope.com> Homepage: http://www.wrld.com/w3builder> Cabinet maker precision is necessary on much of the structure. Holes must be straight and line up to mating fittings with very close tolerances to properly transfer loads from metal to wood... ESPECIALLYspar and lift strut fittings. Perfectly perpendicular holes are one of the most important aspects of aircraft construction from a structural standpoint.You can do just about everything with hand tools except drill perfectlyperpendicular holes like spar fitting holes and longeron holes. Therefore a drill press is essential. Drill blocks can be used to make straight holes when a drill press won't work, but a drill press should be used wherever possible. A bench top model is handy because you can move it around on a jig table fordoing longeron holes on your fuselage etc. Check for quality by running thechuck all the way down and jiggling it sideways to feel for side play. The cheap ones can move from side to side quite a lot, which can mean irregularholes. Buy the one with the least side play.All the other power tools are basically nice-to-have time savers.Personally, I would not want to fly an airplane where the holes for the primary structure were drilled by eyeball with a hand power drill.john Bombardier Inc.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Richard- I found that taking your .060" and .090" 4130 chromolly sheet steelto a place which can shear off various width strips for your fittings ishandy.Ask them to shear parallel to the white printing on the steel too. This showsthe grain of the steel. (Tony B.'s books explain why) Also a band saw witha slower moving blade works great on fittings. I imagine Bernard P. useda hack saw for his early planes and that would work fine today as well, butyou'll find out what works best for you as you go. Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Michael D Cuy
matronics

> Re: Tools, etc... -Reply

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brent Reed
> > Richard- I found that taking your .060" and .090" 4130 chromolly sheetsteel> to a place which can shear off various width strips for your fittings is> handy.> Ask them to shear parallel to the white printing on the steel too. Thisshows> the grain of the steel. (Tony B.'s books explain why) Also a band sawwith> a slower moving blade works great on fittings. I imagine Bernard P.used> a hack saw for his early planes and that would work fine today as well,but> you'll find out what works best for you as you go. Mike C. ------------A good and very cheap way to cut 4130 sheet metal fittings,isto take a hacksaw blade and grind down the backside of the blade until itwill fit into a jigsaw(variable speed is best ).Break of the blade to thedesired legnth. Clamp down the sheet stalk to your bench,safety glasseson,and it will cut like butter,even on gentle curves.When the blade wearsout,a couple of minutes has a fresh one ready to go.A single 12 inchhacksaw blade will yield several high quality blades.----------DougHunt--------________________________________________________________________________________